PDA

View Full Version : do i need to worry about stitches???

11th May 2006, 05:48
If I have stitches from injuries in the past will this stop me from becoming a professional pilot?

Oh that's super!
11th May 2006, 09:43
You mean a scar from having a cut/wound stitched?

I have never heard of anyone being denied a medical for having a scar (or two, or three), myself included.

I guess it could be a different matter if you are still suffering from the effects of injury though.

welliewanger
11th May 2006, 10:08
I've had big scars and bits of metal and it's not stopped me. Once the metal was removed (from my shoulder) the RAF were happy for me to be strapped into an ejector seat.
I've also passed CAA Class 1, so I don't think it's a problem. Basically, as long as it won't impact your abilities, it's fine.

Old Smokey
11th May 2006, 16:07
andrewyun1,

I've read and re-read your post several times trying to ascertain whether the stitches are "fresh" and still in place, or you have a scar from many years ago which required stitching, and the stitches presumably removed. (your use of the word stitches suggests that they might still be there).

If you refer to stitches presently in place, and the wound or incision not yet fully healed, it's highly inadvisable to fly, particularly if we're talking about an abdominal incision. After proper healing, and the stitches are removed, they present no impediment whatsoever to acquiring a professional pilot's licence.

Following on from that, if it is an old wound or surgical incision that was stitched, and they've been removed long ago, show off your battle scars and go flying.:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

Start4&3
11th May 2006, 18:24
Have it removed first before you get a medical certificate.:rolleyes:

airborne_artist
24th May 2006, 08:25
I had four stitches inserted in my R arm after a particularly good party in the mess at RAF Leeming. I signed myself off flying the following morning, took the weekend off, and flew again on the following Monday, with stitches still in place. OK, only flying up to 5000', but no problems whatsoever, and the highly competant RAF doctor didn't caution me against flying..