PDA

View Full Version : Origin Pacific cuts back flights

stoidiuoy
11th May 2006, 02:22
Origin Pacific cuts back flights
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_site_images/shim.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_site_images/shim.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))</IMG>May 11, 2006
Origin Pacific has announced cuts to some of its mid-week flights.
North-bound flights from Wanganui are to cease, while flights from New Plymouth to Auckland and Blenheim to Palmerston North will operate only on peak days.
The airline's managing director Rob Inglis says the changes are the result of lower demand in winter, although high fuel costs, a slowing economy and competition also played a part.
He says the flights will be reassessed later this year, but says the airline is phasing out its 18 seat aircraft in favour of 30 seaters, which may mean some routes will no longer be viable.

Source: RNZ

This is an interesting take on events which have unfolded over recent weeks.
The truth of the matter is that when you do not pay your bills people will take your toys away.
There are now no J32's flying due to lack of payments and I also hear that the 41's will suffer the same fate in the near future.

(http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/425829/712741)

CaptBloodaxe
13th May 2006, 07:06
Quote:
There are now no J32's flying due to lack of payments and I also hear that the 41's will suffer the same fate in the near future.

From where exactly do you hear this? I notice that your posts about Origin Pacific are quite negative in tone, and would like to know where you get your "information" from.
Could it be that Origin has planned the phasing out of the J32s for quite some time, and we are seeing just that? Seems far more likely from where I'm sitting.

ZK-NSN
13th May 2006, 23:16
Bloodaxe: A little from column A, a little from column B I suspect.

Origin have plenty of experience with leasing companies and have always made them work for thier money which is fair enough, but I guess you can only push them so far. There is always to sides to every story and i doubt you'll ever hear a clear version from management.
Cutting mid-week services, especially through winter is hardly a new development in the Airline industry (those who have been at Origin a while will know that) Origin must operate with its means and while it has a profitable freight network, it cant cover for sectors that are constantly loosing money.

I think stoidiuoy is probably one of Bobs many disgruntled, former employee's (i hear theres a reunion in October) or he/she is waiting for the next payment of 3 cents in the dollar. Either way its common Knowledge that Origin has been about as stable as downtown Bazra since QF split the gap, but they've worked through it so far (by the skin of a peice of the male reproductive system, at times) and hopefully for the sake of the employees and the industry in general it continues to do so.

burty
14th May 2006, 01:29
So are they really putting all the 41's back into service? The one in BHE looks a little worse for wear. I like the 41, would be nice to see them stay around, besides someone has to keep Uncle Koru honest.:E Any chance of JSA being put back into service?

stoidiuoy
14th May 2006, 03:55
I guess in a few weeks I will just have to say 'I told you so'.
My info is from the source and no I am not a former employee.
I guess you will all have to just wait and see.

CaptBloodaxe
14th May 2006, 06:44
I guess in a few weeks I will just have to say 'I told you so'.
My info is from the source and no I am not a former employee.
I guess you will all have to just wait and see.
Well in that case "stodiuoy" (yeah... I read your handle backwards) you'd better look into that Slovenia-based J31 contract! Or Kathmandu perhaps. Good luck. I notice that your spelling and grammar are quite good, and you must be at least partially computer-literate. You could add that to your CV!
Heh.

stoidiuoy
16th May 2006, 21:06
Bloodaxe

Despite your scepticism about my information I will stick to what I have said.
There are many things on my CV that you could only wish to have.
The bottom line is OPAL is in the poo and some half arse freight operation will not be enough to keep them afloat.
To be brutally honest it will not be a bad thing.

CaptBloodaxe
16th May 2006, 23:53
Bloodaxe

Despite your scepticism about my information I will stick to what I have said.
There are many things on my CV that you could only wish to have.
The bottom line is OPAL is in the poo and some half arse freight operation will not be enough to keep them afloat.
To be brutally honest it will not be a bad thing.
Ooh, ouch. Thanks mate, I got what I wanted. Well done.

Sorry Woomera, I'll lay off stoidiuoy now.

CaptBloodaxe
17th May 2006, 00:07
Now that we've got that out of the way Stoidiuoy, how about widening the debate a bit.
For starters... what are your thoughts about the competition scene in NZ? Some might say that the market is just too small to sustain more than one sizeable domestic operator, what with 4 million citizens and all. Perhaps Uncle Koru in it's present form dooms any 2nd party to be a fringe operator.
Air Chathams looks like a survivor though, with a decent niche to hang on to, just to contradict myself.
What d'ya reckon?

(Edited to compensate for bad English. Back to school.)

Mr Proachpoint
17th May 2006, 11:23
I just read his posts through the haze of a couple of strong Gin and Fanta's and noticed they sound very similar to the posts of his brothers, Toidinamai, Toidinasieh, Ressotami, Reknolpami, Reknawami and Figjam.

MAPt

ZK-NSN
19th May 2006, 01:49
"To be brutally honest it will not be a bad thing."

To be brutally honest your a bit of a jerk stoidiuoy. Please explain to us and the current staff how removing origin from the mix is a good thing? At a time when employment is slowing how is making 40-50 pilots jobless a good thing? Then you have the ground staff to consider. If Origin goes it will mean the end of competition on the domestic market, more than likely a very long time. How does this benefit the consumer, especially in some of the smaller towns origin services?

"There are many things on my CV that you could only wish to have."
Like modesty and the ability to write sentence backwards? I bet you refer to yourself in the Third person alot dont you?

Sqwark2000
19th May 2006, 04:16
A planned phase out of a fleet type would surely include last flights ending up at home base for sale or return to lessor preparation.

Can anyone tell why there is a Origin J31/2? stuffed into the corner of the western apron at wellington, next to the Wellington Aero Club hangar??

Is this the machine involved in a surprise repossesion move I read about on a previous thread?

If it was, are the rumours and remarks on this thread about financial troubles at Origin closer to the mark than some would let us believe???

Only time will tell the truth (or Robert Inglis if he was so prepared)

S2K

GraemeWi
19th May 2006, 04:38
I used Origin recently (i.e. yesterday) between Nelson and Auckland. To be honest the load factor was about the same as Air NZ when I have previously flown the route. 19 people on a J41. Flying down there a couple of weeks ago (also from Auckland on Origin) from memory it was 13 of us on board.

ZK-JSA was parked on the grass at Nelson - looked to be out of service.

I hope Origin Pacific survive - they make a nice change from Air NZ.

Cheers,

G

stoidiuoy
19th May 2006, 06:48
zk-nsn....you must have a very short memory about the said companies history. They have history of not paying bills as numerous small companies found out the hard way. Sure the staff will be the loser in all of it but the ceo has been running it on fumes for too long now and the longer it goes the bigger those unpaid bills will get. Once again others will be out of pocket.
I guess the staff will have to hope he has enough in the kitty for holiday pay ect.

burty
19th May 2006, 12:39
The two J32's parked in Wellington have been "phased out".

LocoDriver
19th May 2006, 23:14
I made two rounds trips from AKL to NSN with Origin in April, the J41's had good loads both ways each time, one was nearly full (1115hrs ex nelson)

I use them in preference to Air NZ, the terminals are less crowded, the J41 is quicker than a Saab340,and more comfortable as well, the crews friendly.

As mentioned above, a lot of criticism has been leveled at Origin, but from day one, the odds have been stacked against them.
Full marks to Robert Ingils for making a go of it,I tend to support the 'little guy' ,that 'other' airline has displayed arrogance on more than one occasion when making statements concerning competition with Origin- the Hamilton to Nelson service is a classic case. AIR NZ's bully tactics were very obvious.

Origin need support, I am sad they dont seem to get a lot from the aviation fraternity, the very ones who want flying jobs!
I use Origin to Nelson on a regular basis, to show my support for them.
I am also pleased when I encounter a former student of mine in a command role, these positions are made available by people like Robert Inglis, who have a vision and a passion, and go for it!

They need our support.

Keep steaming!
:E :E :ok:

ZK-NSN
20th May 2006, 01:54
stoidiuoy-I know the history of the company all too well. Far too well for even my own liking.

I understand that the J32's had been taken back after a meeting with the reps from BAE didnt have the desired outcome. One aircraft was allowed to complete a revenue sector to WN (the same day), afterwhich the crew had been instructed to park the Ship on the western. Dont know about the other.

As for JSA That thing will never fly again. I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up as part of an artificial Reef in the near future.