PDA

View Full Version : Biennial Flight Review vs CIR renewal

ToucheTurtle
10th May 2006, 22:02
I'm due to renew my instrument rating, which would cover my BFR, but unfortunately to being "raped" up the backdoor by my last boss (low time pilot, low pay etc etc....), I'm now not so flash on the cash.

Due to funds, I'm looking at doing a plain BFR now, and renew my CIR (fully in the A/C, with none in the sim....bugger!!) I realise that would mean double dipping on the funds, but I still need to keep flying at the moment.

just wondering how many people have followed this path, and their experiences with doing so..........

also, how much do most pay for their CIR renewal and/or BFN?

cheers

puff
10th May 2006, 23:28
I recently went down a similar path. Couldn't justify the cost a CIR renewal and did a BFR. Only took a bit over an hour in the a/c with no flightest costs. That saved probably an hour in the a/c, sim time and a flightest fee.

If your not going to be flying IFR for a while possibly worth it........BUT always remember that once your MECIR expires you only have a further 12 months until you can renew it, after that 12 months is up to get it back again you have to do the initial issue again, so if thats an issue cost wise it would be better off to bite the bullet now and just renew it and not waste your time with the BFR.

Howard Hughes
11th May 2006, 01:27
BUT always remember that once your MECIR expires you only have a further 12 months until you can renew it, after that 12 months is up to get it back again you have to do the initial issue again
Don't sweat about doing the initial issue again, it only means you do an extra approach during the test, maybe 2 if you have GPS/NPA also. You do not have to resit the IREX!
I did it after not having a rating for 10 years, 3 hours sim, 2 hour aircraft prep, then the flight test. It was quite easy really given the time frame concerned, mind you I was very current at the time and had flown 50 hours multi in the previous 3 weeks.
Don't worry about not having an instrument rating unless you really need it, a BFR will suffice, just try and stay as current as you can.
Cheers, HH.:ok:

scrambler
11th May 2006, 04:11
I'm with HH, if money is an issue go for the BFR.
I found that not flying any IF and trying to maintain the CIR it became much harder after a few renewals.

ToucheTurtle
11th May 2006, 22:20
thanks for the advice guys, greatly appreciated