PDA

View Full Version : class 1/2/NPPL Medical rules madness!!

Kengineer-130
10th May 2006, 14:58
Ok, now I can see the point of eyesight limits etc in a way, but there are a few things that have really got me angry in the last week or so, so I am going to vent my spleen and I welcome any sensible discussion on the points I raise! :ok:

1) I have a strong prescription (-11 diopters), but I correct to near perfect vison using normal lenses in my glasses (no varilux or bifocal etc). Now obviously this rules me well outside a class 1 medical, but to my surprise when I applied for my class 2 medical, I am well outside the limits for that as well :mad:. Now, I went and did my PPL in the states, passed all the exams and skills test without a hitch, did a night rating and 25 hours extra flying as well. I got a student medical there no problems, and I realize I should have checked before I went but now I may be stuck without a JAA class 2 medical to get the licence :{ , which is most annoying! The thing that annoys me the most is that the doctor advised me that I may be restricted to a NPPL, as this only requires a signature by your GP that you are fit to fly based on being safe to drive :bored:
But how the hell is it sane that I should not be allowed a JAA PPL to fly in the same aircraft and airspace as I am allowed to on a NPPL??? am I more at risk on a JAA PPL?? or do mid air collisions hurt less if you are flying on an NPPL? :} Madness :mad:

2) The doctor I saw made the point that should I loose my glasses in flight, VFR would be almost impossible due to my high prescription. But consider the following points. a) How often do glasses just fall off or break? b) if you wear corrective lenses, you are required by law to carry a spare set with you at all times when you are flying. I do, and also carry sunglasses (which no pilot should be without!) that are to my prescription. What are the odds of loosing or breaking 3 pairs of glasses in one flight? :confused: has anyone heard of any accidents or incidents that have occured due to circumstances like this?

3) I have passed my solo, my skills test and all my flying has been safe and trouble free, I have had NO incidents of not spotting traffic etc, my instructors had NO problems whatsoever with my performance, whats the problem? :mad:

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant (well it is really I suppose), but I just find the rules on eyesight ill thought out and almost insulting, as they basically say that just becasue you wear glasses you are less safe than someone who doesn't :mad: The FAA has a sensible stance on this problem, basically that if you can fly safly then they will grant you a licence. There are a number of pilots flying in the states with only 1 eye!! When is the JAA going to catch up, as we still seem to be in the stone age with our medical requirements :mad:

Grass strip basher
10th May 2006, 15:06
You have my sympathy, I agree the current regulations relating to eyesight are a little "inconsistent" to say the least.

I would guess the difference between the NPPL and the JAA Class 2 relates to all the other countries besides the UK that have to sign off any changes to the JAA medical requirements.

The NPPL I guess could be viewed as the JAA in part agreeing with your rant and hence presenting a domestic solution but other JAA nations not playing ball

Hope it all works out for you anyway, at least the NPPL now exisits which i a step forward relative to where we were 2-3 years ago

GSB

PhilM
11th May 2006, 15:09
I feel your pain :{

As someone who was about your current prescription, theres not a great deal one can do currently....however having had LASIK and now sitting at a stable -0.75D 3years on, I reckon one may be able to play yet.

For Class2, I'd have a medical with the doc, and provide my current prescription (which would be -0.75D), assuming the Optician in the highstreet didn't spot the LASIK (unlikely). And there's a class2 medical.

For class1 I don't know, the CAA at Gatwick I have no doubt would spot the LASIK (who knows though?). Maybe having a -0.75D prescription 3years later, no side affects and otherwise excellent health may count?

Either way, rightly or wrongly, I don't forsee any problems with getting a Class2 medical, Class1 however may well be a slightly trickier affair!

SAS-A321
11th May 2006, 21:05
I have -7.00 on both eyes and is close to give up my dream of becoming a professional pilot, because of the JAR limit at -5.00.

The medical reason:

I have written to JAA medical department and asked them... WHY??? :{
I got this explenation, that us people with bad eyesight are more at risk of getting a disease(s) in our eyes!?

My eye doctor denies this, by saying that we are just as exposed as people not wearing glasses or lenses.

The bla bla reason:

Losing your glasses or a lense is also a reason stated by many.
Well I have been wearing lenses for several years and I have never experienced that they suddenly popped out of my eyes. :eek:
When I wore glasses I did rollercoasters with them on... anyone know Space Mountain in Euro Disney?

The chance of loosing your glasses or lenses performing as a pilot is just as big as getting a fly in one eye in the cockpit.

The evil reason:

One person once wrote to me asking me why they should accept people with poor vision if they could get people with better vision.
Me having a poor eyesight does not make me a worse pilot than a guy with normal vision. :=

Kengineer-130: I have a JAR Class 2 medical, but I am quite sure that if you and I were flying together and we both lost our glasses or lenses, I would be just as lost as you in regards to VFR. Like a pilot with a Class 1 medical with -4.50 would be just as lost as me.

To me the eyesight limits by the JAA is discrimination. There is no sane explanation and I bet that there will never be! :rolleyes:

Loose rivets
12th May 2006, 04:33
There has been a little written about the fitting of lenses over the natural lens, and under the cornea. I know little of this procedure, but I gather that it is not new, and there will be relevant data available.

Eddie_Crane
12th May 2006, 08:57
I have -7.00 on both eyes and is close to give up my dream of becoming a professional pilot, because of the JAR limit at -5.00.

The UK CAA have a "procedure" in place called deviation. You could give them a ring and discuss this and your situation with them, they are most helpful. Well at least in my case they've been, so far.

AlexEvans
13th May 2006, 10:12
The fact remains that (in terms of the medical situation) I can fly an N registered 747 (even in British airspace) but I can't even look at a 747 on a british radar screen, let alone fly one.

Insanity.