PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 medical - unfit; eligible for NPPL?

Caramba
10th May 2006, 14:06
I recently had a miinor surgical operation under general anaesthetic. Post operatively I went into "atrial fibrillation" :( but was easily cardioverted back into normal "sinus rhythm" :D - I have been in sinus rhythm now for over 6 weeks. I have had the exercise test, 24 hour ECG and cardiac echo, and all are fine as are the various blood tests.
I had a class 2 medical and am now "temporarily unfit". As far as I can see from the CAA algorithm I will need a period of at least 6 months with an OSL - and hence a safety pilot with me, but I'm still waiting to hear about that. One of my flying colleagues muttered abut the NPPL, so I investigated the NPPL web-site and medical requirements. AS far as I can see I already fulfull the requirements for group 1 drivers and in another 6 weeks (ie 3 months after the episode of AF) will fulfill the group 2 requirements. I've spoken to my GP, shown her all the paper work and she agrees. So, - is that really right?? :confused: - I could have an NPPL, no safety pilot requirement now, and be able to carry passengers in another 6 weeks time? Before anyone accuses me of being cavalier about this problem I'll add that I cycle/run most nights and regularly exercise with my heart rate above the theoretical maximum for age without any problems and I've never had any cardiac problems before, and I'm not on any medication. If my understanding is correct it seems a slightly odd situation.

Thanks for any guidance on this!

Shunter
17th May 2006, 06:40
The medical requirements for the NPPL have always been much lower than for a JAA-PPL. If you've already got the latter there's very little involved in also acquiring the former and as you know there's no CAA medical, merely approval from your GP as per HGV licenses.

All depends what you want really, but if being confined to daytime VFR in the UK is ok by you, go for it!