PDA

View Full Version : What's going on here?

Crossbleed
10th May 2006, 10:34
Have noticed recently the annoying trend of pax standing up before we're stopped at the gate and turned the 'belts light off. See this all the time in Asia but not in Oz.
What's the story, is it comonplace?
Time to re-educate these impatient idiots and jump on the brakes at the gate I reckon.
Thoughts?:confused:

Chimbu chuckles
10th May 2006, 11:13
And then watch your career terminate.

You could kill someone doing that...last I looked being impatient and, yes, stupid didn't carry the death penalty...unlike premeditated murder....because a fairly ordinary Lawyer could prove that to the judges satisfaction in more than one Asian country I can think of.

Crossbleed
10th May 2006, 11:34
Just a wee nudge to wake 'em up. Anyway, my foot slipped!! I thought one of the ground-crew was getting too close!! Have to be a fairly second-rate lawyer to not get you out of that one.
I realize the Asian FA's have little control over the pax sometimes, but it sh#ts me seeing it here.
Pre-meditated murder is a bit steep.
"After all your worship, this is precisely why we tell people to remain seated until the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the seat belt sign,etc..." QED. Home in time for tea!

Capt Basil Brush
10th May 2006, 12:17
And slam your FA's into the bulkhead as they disarm the doors etc!! Good one guys.

Bad idea. (even if they are old dragons)

Crossbleed
10th May 2006, 12:34
Well no, because they wouldn't be up and running around before the sign goes out, are they??:oh:

yowie
10th May 2006, 12:42
See this all the time,seems to me that QF are the worst for allowing it to happen,whereas the DJ girls and boys stamp on it!;)
As heard on arrival YSSY recently (DJ) 'Ladies and Gents,in all of aviation history ,the passenger has never made it to the terminal before the aircraft,so please remain seated with your seat belts fastened blah bah blah'.
Nice one:=

fourplay
10th May 2006, 13:00
I'm with cross dress... I mean crossbleed.. pre meditated murder a little steep.
Touch of the breaks capt please.

AU was the place of the some of the best pax in the world behaviour wise.

Try Egyptian and Indian flts with pax standing moments after touch down....
That seat belt release click sends me into a flying rage into the cabin (pun intended)

SIT DOWN PLEEESE! waving the hands around like a demented stork taking off!

All too much :eek: :eek: :eek:

Flintstone
10th May 2006, 19:36
"breaks" or brakes?

Still, with what some of you are suggesting one would lead to the other I suppose.

sinala1
10th May 2006, 21:31
Its a simple concept - SIT DOWN until the seatbelt sign is turned OFF - I fail to understand why pax refuse to follow this very simple (and safety-related!) instruction!

However, in their defense, one reason I can think of - on the B737 our SOP is once the rear doors have been disarmed and crosschecked, the rear based F/A's ring the Cabin Supervisor to pass this info on. The "ding dong, ding dong" sound the interphone makes as the a/c is slowing down for the last few feet before stopping at the gate can possibly be miscontrued by pax as being the sound the seatbelt sign makes when turning off. This does not change the fact that they have already had the lighted sign pointed out to them a number of times, however it could be something worth looking into?

toolish
10th May 2006, 23:15
contemplating jumping on the brakes to teach them a lesson, I can't understand how you ever got yourself into a position to be allowed to operate the brakes.

puff
10th May 2006, 23:21
Best way I saw the situation handled is the FAs grabbed the PA and as soon as one person stood up just said 'Don't even think about it'. Everyone laughed and made the person feel like a right fool that they are.

Oxygen thieves some people!

Crossbleed
11th May 2006, 00:46
Just went O/S me old china plate.:E :E :E :ok:

Howard Hughes
11th May 2006, 01:50
Surely it is the responsibility of the applicable cabin manager/supervisor to make sure all their F/A's are keeping everybody in their seats and adhering to company standards until the seat belt sign has gone out!

It is commonplace for aircraft to brake hard (read jerkily) either intentionally or due to inexperience with the aircraft. We have a duty of care to provide safe passage for our customers, this includes telling them to "SIT DOWN" where appropriate.

Cheers, HH.:ok:

BurglarsDog
11th May 2006, 02:09
I currently have the pleasure of commuting NZCH -YBTL on a regular basis using Jet * and VB, and find that on every flight 95% of folk always stand up and start grabbing overhead luggage etc ASAP once at the gate. Only the old, infirm and the informed ( myself included) stay put for the 3 or 4 mins that it generaly takes from actually stopping to getting the flybridge connected. For better or worse I dont think that youll ever stop this happening.::confused:
DogGone (to seat 14A)

squire
11th May 2006, 03:02
Whats next Helmets and Head restraints.................:}

Bolty McBolt
11th May 2006, 05:18
Recently observed a fellow jump out of his seat as the aircraft taxied into bay seat belt sign "ON" and open his overhead locker while unbalanced only to be greeted by his duty free hitting him square in the forehead. :D

I pissed my self laughing and I could not help calling him a dope :ouch:
It was a great start to my holiday....

but then again I may be the kind of person whom might think it funny anyway

sinala1
11th May 2006, 06:31
Surely it is the responsibility of the applicable cabin manager/supervisor to make sure all their F/A's are keeping everybody in their seats and adhering to company standards until the seat belt sign has gone out!

Absolutely - however the problem is that most often (in the instances I see) pax are getting up as the crew are disarming their doors - and only so many PA's etc can be made telling the punters to sit the fcuk down - and the crew really should not be leaving their door stations whilst the a/c is moving. Unfortunately there are just some people who flatly refuse to listen to anything anyone tells/asks them - people like that should seek alternative, more appropriate methods of transport - eg walking :hmm:

QSK?
12th May 2006, 05:06
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the requirement for passengers to remain seated until the aircraft comes to a "complete stop" (how is that different to a "stop"), I have often wondered what the difference is between passengers standing up in aisles of a slowly moving passenger aircraft to those many thousands of passengers standing up in the aisles of suburban trains and buses that are often moving significantly faster than a taxying aircraft? Are we being a little bit precious here?

Led Zep
12th May 2006, 05:59
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the requirement for passengers to remain seated until the aircraft comes to a "complete stop" (how is that different to a "stop"), I have often wondered what the difference is between passengers standing up in aisles of a slowly moving passenger aircraft to those many thousands of passengers standing up in the aisles of suburban trains and buses that are often moving significantly faster than a taxying aircraft? Are we being a little bit precious here?

Wouldn't think so, but you raise a good point. At least you have chunky straps and/or poles to hold onto in a bus or train. Your options are limited in the cabin - overhead locker handle maybe? Hope that some duty free doesn't knock your teeth out. :E

The Messiah
12th May 2006, 06:10
Get a life.....jeeeeez!

Who are they hurting but possibly themselves? and it isn't their safety you all seem to be worried about, but an opportunity to exercise your schoolyard mentalities.

Capt Basil Brush
12th May 2006, 07:20
To answer your question Crossbleed - yes.

Led Zep
12th May 2006, 15:51
Get a life.....jeeeeez!

Who are they hurting but possibly themselves? and it isn't their safety you all seem to be worried about, but an opportunity to exercise your schoolyard mentalities.

Maybe they are just hurting themselves, but with the way this country is going there will be law suits filed for these sorts of things shortly!

The Messiah
13th May 2006, 07:26
Oh no not the lawsuit crap again. I don't know how any of you get out of bed in the morning for fear of lawsuits.

There is a real 'cannot' undertone to the attitude of Australian aviation these days and it is just getting worse. You just have to visit any flying school and they can come up with dozens of reasons why you cannot go flying today, or you have made an incorrect entry in your logbook, or my favourite....'oh no that aviation business won't work, they have the wrong aircraft type'.

Oz aviation used to be full of characters and people who really had a go.....not anymore.

distracted cockroach
13th May 2006, 07:40
Messiah,
It's not the dumbass who stands up I'm worried about - it's the little old lady who stays seated and ends up getting sconed by dumbass's cabin bag or duty free as he gets up and opens the overhead locker before the aircraft has stopped. Either that, or off-balance dumbass falls into someones lap and breaks their hip/pelvis etc.
It's a safety thing pure and simple.:ugh:
(And there was a turbulence incident a few years back on the Koru where the only injury was a broken hip to an old dear. She was safely belted into her seat but Mr Dumbass in front didn't observe the seat belt sign and got thrown up in the air, over the seat back, and into aforementioned old dear's lap!)

remofo
13th May 2006, 13:58
Wouldn't think so, but you raise a good point. At least you have chunky straps and/or poles to hold onto in a bus or train. Your options are limited in the cabin - overhead locker handle maybe? Hope that some duty free doesn't knock your teeth out. :E

From the Sydney Morning Herald - April 26th
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/stand-up-and-prepare-for-takeoff/2006/04/25/1145861349930.html

It states:
Air travellers will one day spend their flights standing up and strapped to the wall under a plan reportedly being considered by one of the world's largest aircraft manufacturers.
Standing passengers would be propped against a padded backboard and secured by a harness as airlines try to offset rising costs by boosting numbers, The New York Times has reported.
With standing class, the new A380 - designed to seat about 500 people - could carry the maximum number permitted, 853. Airbus has approached carriers in Asia but none has agreed.

and goes on...

If any carrier were to introduce standing room on flights to Australia, it would need approval from strict European safety authorities, a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority said.
If the airline had only certifications from its national safety authority, CASA would investigate.
Some who might welcome the plan include extra-tall travellers, who monitor leg room on websites such as the The Airline Leg Room Guide.

(Yeah I can imagine all the 2 metre tall guys everywhere jumping at the chance to stand all the way to Australia from...well...anywhere!)

DM777
13th May 2006, 16:40
Just go up front and ask them to press the breaks firmly close to the gate, it will sort out the idiots from the rest, and boy, when a 747 comes to a halt quickly a lot of things move in the cabin, including fudging stupid pax that think they can get off earlier. Trust me, I've asked for it and seen it happen and laughed my ass off. Rules are there for a reason, not to be broken. And my airline is not the only one SO SIT ON YER DUM ASSES UNTIL THE DOORS ARE DISARMED

Best regards

DM 777

Buckshot
14th May 2006, 04:04
Reminds me of that story - pax in Row 1 of 727 ignores FAs request to remain seated coming in to the gate. FA informs Capt who asks Ground Crew not to connect bridge. Captain gets on P/A: "Ladies and Gentlemen, due to a malfunction we are disembarking today only by the rear stairs."
Pax in Row 1 is now last to get off, F/A can't stop smiling...

Eliason
14th May 2006, 17:05
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the requirement for passengers to remain seated until the aircraft comes to a "complete stop" (how is that different to a "stop"), ...

The difference is:
A stop can happen at any place at the airport while taxiing- due to other traffic crossing, having to wait till another airplane has finished it's pushback, ... This can be everything between a few seconds to a few minutes.

Complete stop: many airlines also say: "reached it's final parking position": the place where it stops, the chocks are inserted, engines are shutdown, doors will be opened.

Some countries are better with staying seated, some worse... personally I'm hardly ever in a rush. On the planes I'm flying on people have to wait for the handluggage in front of the plane, are all getting on the same bus for the ride to the terminal, ... :ugh:

Plus: last one on the bus is first one off! :E

bealine
16th May 2006, 05:54
The difference is:
A stop can happen at any place at the airport while taxiing- due to other traffic crossing, having to wait till another airplane has finished it's pushback, ... This can be everything between a few seconds to a few minutes.

Complete stop: many airlines also say: "reached it's final parking position": the place where it stops, the chocks are inserted, engines are shutdown, doors will be opened.

So as there can be no possible doubt, wouldn't it perhaps be an idea to say "complete stop and the engines have shut down" - after all, the stairs or jetway won't be brought up to the aircraft until the anti-collision light is off - unless the ground staff have a suicide wish!

IMHFO
16th May 2006, 06:18
This annoys the hell out of me too. It is not a matter of kind but degree. Of compliance and the creeping diminution of standards and attitudes and complacency on behalf of those who should be enforcing rules.

Look at what is happening on our roads (with my opinion of worst offending areas - and read Melbourne for all):

Tailgating (Canberra, Sydney)
Lane chopping (Canberra)
Speeding (Canberra, Sydney)
Failure to stop at a red traffic light
Failing to indicate when changing lanes (Canberra)
Turning when in a straight-ahead only lane (Canberra)
Driving slow in the right lane (Canberra, Perth, Adelaide)
U turns in busy traffic (Melbourne)
Failure to indicate correctly when negotiating a roundabout (Canberra, Darwin, hell everywhere)
Indicating turning left and then proceeding straight ahead
Indicating turning right in the left hand lane of a roundabout
Parking facing the wrong side of the road (Canberra, Darwin)
Parking on footpaths (Darwin)
Vehicle faults

Headlights failed (Newcastle area)
Brake lights failed
Lowered drivers seats (Canberra)
Changes to suspension and stability i.e. suspension, different sized wheels/tyres front and rear. (Canberra)
A direct result of failure to enforce.

Passenger safety is directly related to compliance issues - give an inch and you will get chaos. Kick in hard and early or we will end up with the aviation culture of places we prefer not to be.

But we are also talking commercial realities - don't want a scene now folks do we!!!!!!!!!!

Spinnerhead
16th May 2006, 23:57
IMHFO

I can see be the above that you don't visit sunny QLD. The place were not even the cops use an indicator.