PDA

View Full Version : "Long Range Helicopters" in the Aust Budget?

w_ocker
10th May 2006, 08:32
I've seen "long range helicopters" mentioned in reports of last night's budget. To be used to locate/intercept illegal fishers and immigrents. Anyone know more about this? Who, where, what when type gen.

international hog driver
10th May 2006, 19:37
I was involved in a development study over two years ago that went to the Aust Govt re exactly this. The end result of the project was that it was very feasible to be able to go out a very long way from the coast in order to drop a small team of lets say “custom & security” people right to the very edge of the 200nm fishing zones.

The only machine available at the time that could go the distance, hover/deliver, remain on station for 30 mins and return to the shore was the good ol’ 214ST. When I say available at the time I mean for 3 month delivery, as the German BGS got hold of 10 332L’s that were the alternate.

One other interesting fact is the “Boarding Party” requested a top cover aircraft to remain overhead for an extended period once the helo reached bingo for the beach. These were also sourced and were even inspected.

So if they have dusted of the project good luck to whoever tenders to operate it. If you thought offshore could get boring flying in a blue gold fish bowl. Wait until you do this! Unless they are going to spring for some S92’s then I might even consider moving home to Oz for that!

Cost of the job……. $40,000
Fine for the illegal fisherman……..$100,000+
Being able to stand up and walk down the back (S92 of course)….. Priceless!