PDA

View Full Version : Misc proceedure and tech questions B747

radio ears
10th May 2006, 02:05
Hi,

I am currently on holiday in Australia. I have some quiries which you may be able to help me with. The route was LHR - Kula Lumpa Kula lumpa - Sydney.

LHR to KL, i was sat up at the front of economy so had a wall mounted TFT screen for the passenger safety briefing and flight info. The brightness was turnned up so high that it was bleached out and so unwatchable. If the flight briefing is given via such means, should the cabin crew check that it is at least watchable???? I broght the defect to the attention of the cabin crew on arival at KL

KL to sydney. I noticed that in the cruise the outside indicated temprature was -6 deg C and reached -21 deg c before the decent. Is this an error or is theres something strange about that area?

Crew cross check that the slides have been armmed / disarrmed. How closly should this be done, should a second person actually lift the flap to see the pin is home, or could this be done from quite some distance?

mummyred
11th May 2006, 20:56
Here's my view:

Yes, the cc should have checked the screens before the demo - its a CAA requirement (for UK based airlines) that all pax are informed about safety procedures (safety demo).

I've known outside temps to reach -50C transatlantic.

On most aircraft types there is a small indicator window to be able to see if the door has been armed / diarmed. Well trained CC would be able to spot it at 20 paces. Some airlines will have their Senior CC check it a third time.

Enjoy your jollies & stop thinking about airline nonsense!:8

I Just Want To Fly
12th May 2006, 14:12
I was on a recent flight on CX, I was seated in an exit row, so my personal TV was folded down. The main screen wasn't working properly during the safety demo so the cabin crew came around and pulled up our personal TVs so we could see the demo.

The guy sitting next to me, said that it wasn't necessary, and that he'd flown hundreds of times. The crew said that it was a legal requirement. The man tutted and as soon as the crew went away he folded his TV down again.

Interestingly enough even though he had flown hundreds of times, he didn't know that hand luggage could not be simply left at his feet in an exit row, and seemed very surprised when the same crew member asked him to stow it.

tiggerific_69
12th May 2006, 21:00
i hate it when you get pax like that who think they know better when they should just damn well have some respect and manners and just take two minutes to listen to the safety briefing

Crew Use Only
20th May 2006, 00:40
My view is that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!! (Causing you to worry!!)

I always have a quick glance at the bulkhead monitors as the safety video is started to check it is ok - your crew should have done the same.

Experienced crew on the aircraft would easily know if a door was armed or not at a glance - it becomes second nature.