PDA

View Full Version : How many names does it have?

CYHeli
8th May 2006, 23:35
All around the world, the same helicopter seems to have different names or designators. The Jetranger for example is also known in MIL circles as the Kiowa. In civvy street it's called the Bell206, B06, and just the '206.
The Hughes 500 is similar, H500, MD500, H369.

What are some of the other names for these and other helicopters.
Which helicopter has the most?

jetflite
9th May 2006, 00:35
Not to sure about the 500, but i know the jetranger is called a kiowa, because it is slightly different to the B206, it has a long ranger tailboom, and long ranger blades, amongst other add on's. (anyone correct me if this is wrong). Hope this helps...
JF

22clipper
9th May 2006, 01:01
Did anybody see the article on the racing identity who flies his own Kiowa in the last Aussie HeliNews? How does that work? I didn't know you could get VH reg for ex military machines?

gadgetguru
9th May 2006, 01:08
doesn't the restriction only apply to commercial use of x-mil aircraft?

ie: it's not that they cannot be registered, it's that they cannot be used for general charter, but can be used for airwork or private ops?
hence the limited uptake.

somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.:O

jetflite
9th May 2006, 01:12
Apparently you can register ex-mil aircraft, VH- but they are "Experimental" cat. There's a few getting about, couple of kiowa'a. . i know of a company who are selling a white kiowa. .there's also a UH-1 (or similar) for sale.
I think a while back a couple of company's were selling kiowa's, one ex canadian mil. Cheap to buy, but you can only use them in the "Exp Cat"

Disguise Delimit
9th May 2006, 01:56
The Australian army wanted to name its Kiowas "Kalkadoon" for some strange reason. After a couple of whoopsies, the name used was "Upside-doon" and was shortly thereafter dropped.:8

SASless
9th May 2006, 02:23
An under-designed, under-engineered, under-powered, useless tail rotored, Bell built piece of s--t.... is what I call them.

Brian Abraham
9th May 2006, 11:14
SAS, moving from a Scout on to the Kiowa I thought I was hopping into a Rolls Royce - not much good on a rolling ships deck though even on low skids. Enjoyed the time in it very much.

Robbo Jock
9th May 2006, 11:19
SAS, how does that go down with ATC - "Say again type?!?!"

skidbiter
10th May 2006, 07:32
The Hughes 500 was originally designated as the OH-6 when it won the 1960 competition to provide a light observation helicopter (LOH) for the US Army. It was given the military name "Cayuse", but was often refered to as the LOACH.

jetflite
11th May 2006, 07:47
this is an interesting link regarding U.S army's helicopter fleet, Stats, numbers, requirements etc. etc.

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=12&sequence=3

interesting read.

crop duster
11th May 2006, 10:31
Not to sure about the 500, but i know the jetranger is called a kiowa, because it is slightly different to the B206, it has a long ranger tailboom, and long ranger blades, amongst other add on's. (anyone correct me if this is wrong). Hope this helps...
JF
Not sure about the tail boom but the blades are not interchangeable. Same design but a little shorter than the L model.
barryb

Thomas coupling
11th May 2006, 12:10
The "Jet box"

Coconutty
11th May 2006, 13:37
After a few quiet months the World Record Helicopter Team finally got a sponsorship
A private company have decided to sponsor with a Kiowa OH-58.

A World record attempt (http://www.worldrecordhelicopterteam.com/world_record_news.php4) in one of these ?

Must be a really impressive machine :rolleyes:

( Couldn't resist resurrecting this one in view of their "News" :suspect: )

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/coconut.jpg
Coconutty

SASless
11th May 2006, 16:11
Cropduster,

The Kiowa is known by that name because all US Army Helicopters are named for Indian Tribes...

Choctaw, Apache, Chinook, Iriqouis, Mojave, Tarhe, Blackhawk, Sioux, Pawnee, Cayuse, all spring to name.

CYHeli
11th May 2006, 23:39
Skidbiter,
I'm almost afraid to ask, but why 'LOACH'? It appears to stand for something...

Jetflite,
I think the difference with the tail boom wasn't the length, just that the tail rotor drive was exposed? Any info on that?
Thanks for that link above. I now know that the following are used as designators;
- Attack helicopter (AH),
- Scout or observation helicopter (OH),
- Utility helicopter (UH), and
- Cargo helicopter (CH). It actually explains a lot that I had never asked before, even though I had riden in a few...

SAS,
Thanks for the extras on the names. It is an interesting thought, naming mil a/c after cunning stealthy hunters. It's almost a sign of repect for the Indians.

22clipper
12th May 2006, 00:17
An under-designed, under-engineered, under-powered, useless tail rotored, Bell built piece of s--t.... is what I call them.

Mate how can you say such a thing? I know a guy who gave me a fly of his 206, after 8 years in an R22 I thought I was in heaven! So what do you get around in?

If the ex Mil stuff is not VH reg how do you get on for flying into GAAPs for fuel etc? Is you allowed in without a VH callsign?

Flingwing207
12th May 2006, 00:45
Comes from: Light Observation Helicopter - LOH - "Loach"

Like: High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle - HMMWV - "Humvee"

Revolutionary
12th May 2006, 03:56
Early AStar models: the DeathStar. Not applicable anymore now that all problems with the starflex have been resolved (I hope).

Bravo73
12th May 2006, 08:11
Like: High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle - HMMWV - "Humvee"

And, of course, UH-1 became 'Huey' in GI slang. (Although I've seen some sources which state that the original code was HU-1, which would make the nickname more obvious).

Early AStar models: the DeathStar. Also, the Falling Star. (For the same reasons).

For the 206, swap the 'R' with a 'B' and you get the v. affectionate, 'JetBanger'!

jetflite
12th May 2006, 08:44
"QUOTE R22 CLIPPER" - If the ex Mil stuff is not VH reg how do you get on for flying into GAAPs for fuel etc? Is you allowed in without a VH callsign?[/QUOTE]

I've been told from a Aus Army pilot that all mil aircraft have a VH-... marking, but they designate them numbers or call signs, like the Huey's are "Bushranger 013". . Or Kiowa 013 etc. so when they come of the mil register they use there VH-... marking. When sold to Australian public they are classed in experimental cat. I believe thats only Airwork etc. No charter.
similar to airliners. . you can see there VH-... marking but they use company call signs "virgin 799" etc.

This is what i have been told anyway...and have seen VH-... markings on Mil aircraft.

JF:ok: