PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Mafia? Or just on the fiddle.

BaronChotzinoff
8th May 2006, 20:13
Hi - just wondered how all you guys treat the arrival on board of a PAX with a shaped or oblong case as hand baggage which in good faith contains the above musical instrument. Would you ever insist it goes into hold baggage? What is the *real* airline policy on such matters, and can the instrument always be accommodated somewhere even if the lockers are full?

Any interesting stories about famous violinists on board? I heard one where the flight captain, a violinist himself, knew that one of his friends, a top international soloist, would be coming on board along with his priceless Stradivarius. So he sent one of the stewards to tell this guy that "that thing" had to be checked in or he'd be thrown off the flight. The violinist just about went and beat the cabin door down, but the captain was laughing so much he nearly couldn't fly the plane afterwards.

Thanks!

flyblue
8th May 2006, 20:46
In my company if the instrument case is bulky, you need to reserve a seat for it. Never seen it done for a violin though, they usually fit into the overhead lockers. I would never insist for sending it into the hold. Violins are fragile instruments, it surely would be damaged. I would rather send another piece of luggage in the hold instead and make room for it.