PDA

View Full Version : Quick query

colmac747
8th May 2006, 17:03
Not being very PC savvy, a few minutes ago, my PC for the first time cut out/crashed? It's about 2.5 years old and has worked flawlessly.

Just wondering if there's anything i'd need to do to prevent the system cutting off again?

Thanks

spannersatcx
8th May 2006, 17:26
1st time in 2 1/2 years, I count that as pretty stable and nothing to worry about.

Now if it starts doing it more regularly I'd start to worry. You know at least once a year:ok:

colmac747
8th May 2006, 17:30
Ok cool. Took me by surprise..

Thought i'd check on here before i started replacing the plug fuse:ugh:

:ok:

Mac the Knife
8th May 2006, 18:03
If you're using Windows and its only crashed once in 2 1/2 years then you have a very stable machine - far better than most!

Even I can't boast as much (except with Linux :E )

As 'ol spanners says, only start worrying if it happens again, and again...., and again.......and a7)(*&*(687*&*&^(0988_**..............:sad:

colmac747
8th May 2006, 18:07
Thanks again.

Definetly the very first time it's cut itself off with the screen going blank..

The usual reboot has occured now and again, but that's when a download has failed to complete etc.

The machine is Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo L if that's of any use:confused:

Memetic
9th May 2006, 20:11
Sudden shut downs could be due to the cooling fan on the processor stopping. It it starts happening regulalry it would be worth cracking the case open and checking it then cleaning the fluff out etc. Don't vacuum clean - it over speeds the fans, trust me I've killed em!

asuweb
9th May 2006, 20:39
cracking the case open

Or you could take the more gentle approach and simply remove the cover!:D:D

bjkeates
10th May 2006, 00:21
I agree, while it sounds like you have a very stable system there must be a reason why the power cut out all of a sudden. It might have been to do with the power socket itself (do you have a surge protector? This may have cut the power to protect your PC if there was a sudden power spike for some reason) or it might be something inside your PC. Being 2.5 years old, taking off the cover probably isn't going to harm any warranty (but do check first.)

No need for anything drastic, just look for anything that might be amiss... muck clogging up the fans, power cable become a bit loose somewhere, etc.

If it does happen more regularly it could also indicate that your PSU is on its way out, although unless it's a really cheap make I wouldn't have thought that'd be an issue. It's possible though. I'd say don't worry but keep an eye on it.