PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical Worries

kc122005
8th May 2006, 15:48
I have booked my medical(UK CAA) for 2 weeks away and now I am getting really worried.

I am quite self conscious about my body and I deem myself to be a little over-weight.

I think I will pass my medical but will I need to strip all my clothes off? Or can do I just stand with most of my clothes on.

Thanks and please reply quickly as it's not long to go...

got caught
8th May 2006, 15:50
Down to the birthday suit I'm afraid, but don't worry, they've seen plenty of chubby people before.

kc122005
8th May 2006, 16:10
ooh no :(

Just what I was hoping I wouldnt have to do......

got caught
8th May 2006, 17:10
Lets hope he doesn't start humming "hey fatty bum bum,"

(He shouldn't)

kc122005
8th May 2006, 17:15
Thanks for filling me with confindence..... I didnt realise it would be that involved...

I'm getting second thoughts now about even doing my medical and just change to the NPPL course.

scruggs
8th May 2006, 17:47
You really have to take your underwear off too for a ClassII?

I didn't think it was that comprehensive. Guess I was wrong!

kc122005
8th May 2006, 19:11
Neither did I..... can anyone else confirm this?

femaleWannabe
8th May 2006, 19:19
:eek: If thats for a class 2, do you need to remove your underwear for a class 1?!! I was under the impression you got to keep your undergarments attached and were given a white dressing gown.... guys have to strip to the waist... what about girls?!?!

Mark 3:16
8th May 2006, 19:30
It is down to your gruds for the class 2 as you need to be weighed. Expect to have to 'go' on a litmus strip as well.

I wouldn't worry too much, they have to be quite thorough and will have seen a million people before you. I'm not overweight but I am not in the best shape (beer gut etc).They note everything - scars, tattoos and yes, they have a little squeeze of your pods as well. :eek:

It is worth it, trust me.:ok:

kc122005
8th May 2006, 19:33
Why do they note scars? Is this madness.... I'm just not very self-confident and I cant imagine that a doctor want to see a 24 year old man with stretch-marks over his body... :uhoh:

femaleWannabe
8th May 2006, 19:42
They note scars?! I have a scar from a collapsed lung when I was born.... do they ask how you got it and fail you accordingly?!

Mark 3:16
8th May 2006, 21:43
not sure why they do it, but mine certainly did, with the haunting line "oooh, are they acne scars?".....scribble, scribble.:{

I was asked a few questions about any scars, and said i didn;t have any. When i stripped off though, he took one look at my tattoo and noted it down. :ooh:

I presume this is par for the course, but may be wrong. You can't get too precious over it, its just something that has to be done. Don't forget he is a doctor, he's seen it all before, he doesn't care what you look like and he should want you to pass, which you should do bar any major health problems.

It's the class 1 I'm dreading.......;)

iamanaussiemavrick
9th May 2006, 05:02
Hi,

For class II you will have a general medical check up like your Sugar count, Lipid Profile etc.

Then you will have an audiometry.

With the doctot you will have a tuning fork test for ur ears. Then hands and legs responses will be checked.

I dont think Over weight is a problem as long as your sugar count is normal.

For class I there is an additional Eye test.

Medical is not a big issue.

For any further details you can contact me at

[email protected]

Regards

kanak Chandramohan

scruggs
9th May 2006, 09:43
If you're a wannabe as I am, is it best to go straight for the Class I?

I've looked and searched throught this medical forum and I can't find details on the Class I examination procedure. Would somebody please describe the Class I medical examination please? (or point me to where it has been discussed already)

Cheers.

strafer
9th May 2006, 10:24
I'm getting second thoughts now about even doing my medical and just change to the NPPL course.A couple of generations ago, pilots not only had to strip naked in front of a doctor, they also had to cope with nasty Germans shooting at them.

Perhaps a bit of stoicism is in order?

Seriously, if you worry this much about being semi naked in front of a doctor, how are you going to cope with an EFATO?

femaleWannabe
9th May 2006, 10:37
If you're a wannabe as I am, is it best to go straight for the Class I?

I had the same question a few weeks ago and have decided that although I don't need it for another year or so (class 2 would do for PPL), there is no point planning out my life for the next few years if I can't pass the class1. So I'm going to go straight for the class 1.

I'd also like it if someone could explain exactly what happens - details about levels of nakedness required would be appreciated!

7gcbc
9th May 2006, 11:07
Class I few years ago at LGW was full monty for the males, Females are down to lower undies (I believe) with female doc only. It is very discrete and very professional and not at all embarassing, sex of the AME is luck of the draw with us blokes, I had a very professional female Doc, no issues really, a little embarassed, but no big deal, I understand that Females can request a Female AME by default, just remember its their job, they've done thousands of examinations and you are no different to the other 10 they've done this week.

Primarily they are testing looking for any significant and mature STD (or so I'm led to believe - a personal character issue) they will also look at bruises from sports (I had rather severe bruised ribs which made the lung funky test uncomfortable, again the AME compensated the test for this), injuries and so forth, tatoos are not an issue (unless infected), neither are scars unless they look like they can be a problem in the future. The ECG can be a pain tho's but thats just me.
and before I forget you no longer have to do the Electroencephalogram (EEG) which is really just castle Frankenstein torture.

look at it like this, you will get a thorough health check which far exceeds anything available in the civillian world without screwing your health insurance premiums, it's very good to know.

Here's the link:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527

finally, why not ring them and ask!!!

remitrom2004
9th May 2006, 11:20
Had my Initial Class 1 yesterday, went a little something like this:
1) Height and weight measured, Just shoes off
2) Wee'd in a little pot (private cubicle), handed it through a little trap door to the technicians to have it tested for the usuals
3) Hearing test, sat in booth with eyes shut making hand signals to indicate that I could hear the tones. (no nakedness required)
4) Bloods, fully clothed, sat on edge of bed
5) ECG, down to the pants, laid out on bed with all of the leads stuck on for a minute or so.
6) Lung capacity check, Peak flow check, both fully clothed, sitting down, face turning a nice blue colour trying to get the last cc of breath out.
7) Eye test, clothed again.
8) Medical examination by the doctor, down to the duds again, listened to chest, did a few stretches upwards/down to toes/sideways, reflexes, bit push and prod of stomach etc.

On the whole no big deal, no more nakedness than going down the swimming baths.
Hope this alleviates some worries.
BTW I figure the noting of scars/tattoos is just in case you pile your aircraft and they have to identify you via ways other than looking at your face?

Saab Dastard
9th May 2006, 12:50
Seriously, if you worry this much about being semi naked in front of a doctor, how are you going to cope with an EFATO?

S**T!! I didn't know you had to do the skills test in the buff as well! :eek:

strafer
9th May 2006, 12:58
SD - Have you never read this book?

http://www.jacdec.de/media/books/TheNPilot.gif
:)

got caught
9th May 2006, 13:15
apologies for raising your anxiety kc.....just a little light relief.:)

Unfortunately we do have to look for certain signs which can only be elicited whilst semi naked. It would be negligent not to do this.

Honest, its no big deal, and you can bet he's seen millions of stretch marks before.

Were really not that interested.

niknak
9th May 2006, 14:59
Theres really nothing to worry about, it's almost certain that theres nothing you could phase any of the medical staff with, theyve been doing the job for so long they too have seen every state of nervousness.

After 25 years of having such medicals, I didn't know until last year, that they (the Doctors doing the medical) have to submit themselves to an annual probe and prod - often by newly qualified doctors, just to remind themselves of what its all about.

kc122005
9th May 2006, 15:20
Thanks everyone, thats put my mind at rest :)

I had a flying lesson today and thought... this is so good im gonna have to do it and in a weird way, I'm almost looking forward to it....

Thanks a lot guys and wish me luck for my prod :D

Sylphie
5th Jun 2006, 00:18
How do you know which one [class I or II?] you are to attend. I mean, obviously they tell you, but which one is which?

Also, the things you are to do during the medical. Are these for Pilots only or do FA's have the same medical exam? :oh: