PDA

View Full Version : Training in Uk or Us

Nk8047
8th May 2006, 12:16
First of all since this is my 1st post i will like to greet all pprune members
I know i might get told off for creating a thread that has been over discussed but after searching and reading the entire forum for 3 days ill ask anyway , I am about to finish my Atpl exams in the uk (all has gone perfect until now )and i am in search of an Fto so here are my main concerns :Should i choose the faa way in Florida ,Oft or Ari Ben aviation get my faa licenses and then come back in the uk to convert OR stay in the uk and pay that something extra in order to do all my training in the Jar land .The up and downs of the choises from what i understand is lots of multi time in the states in low prices but also medium quality training and not what the airlines back in europe prefer.Would it be wise to go in the states only for some hour biulding ,a ME rating and twin time instead of spending the same amount of money with a c152 flying around U.K in order to meet the cpl requirements?Lookinf forward in reading your comments/advices
Also if anybode has any experience from the mentioned flying schools pls let me know what u think
Cheers

willby
8th May 2006, 20:14
Hi and welcome NK,
Unfortunately, there are no definitive answers to the questions you pose. You will get proponents and detractors for both methods i.e. Europe or USA. The reasons to choose the USA have historically been to do with cost ( lower fuel prices and the weakness of the dollar) and faster training due to more favourable weather conditions.
You mention FAA training and converting on return to UK but I presume you know that you also have the option to do JAR training up to CPL/ME at approved FTO's in the USA, Naples Air Center and EFT to mention two that I know of.The Instrument rating skills test has to be completed in a JAR State so some who do a lot of their training in the USA will complete the Instrument Rating in Europe or do a 15 hour minimum conversion course to convert an FAA IR.
As to which route to take? you will have to decide for yourself. However my own son and many others I know of have done some of their training in the USA and it has not been mentioned as a problem by prospective employers.
Regards
Willby