PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar - Not Good Enough

Sandy Freckle
8th May 2006, 08:51
Well, Jetstar fans. Here's what the public REALLY thinks of you. From the comsumer complaints website "notgoodenough.org". Enjoy boys and girls.

Every year, Australia’s leading consumer website Notgoodenough.org analyses the consumer feedback logged on the NGE website to alert consumers everywhere to the most complained about and complimented companies.

According to website founder, Dr Fiona Stewart, the strategy behind these sometimes controversial listings is to empower consumers to make more fully informed purchasing decisions.

NGE’s Most Griped Companies

1. NRMA Insurance (new entrant)
2. Telstra (No 1 in 2005)
2. Jetstar (new entrant)
3. Australia Post (8)
4. eBay (new entrant)
5. Comm Bank (5)
6. Optus (2)
7. Panasonic (9)
8. Foxtel (3)
9. Holden (4)

NGE’s Most Complimented Companies

1. Telstra (No 1 in 2005)
2. Holden (6)
3. Comm Bank (new entrant)
4. Foxtel (5)
5. Panasonic (10)
6. Qantas (4)
7. Australia Post (new entrant)
8. Kmart (new entrant)
9. NRMA Insurance (new entrant)
10. Optus (3)

Of special interest in this year’s Most Griped about Company List must be the new comers of NRMA Insurance, Jetstar and eBay. These first timers have entered the lists in the positions of most griped about company (NRMA was 14th in 2005), 3rd most griped about company and 5th most griped about company respectively.

“On the one hand this tells us that the customer base of these companies is possibly growing quickly or perhaps on the other hand it tells us that their customers have now become so provoked by their negative experiences with these companies that they will no longer be silenced. Telstra’s ‘improved’ ranking in 2006 suggests that Telstra customers are marginally happier than they were last year and companies such as LG, Qantas and Harvey Norman need to be congratulated by dropping well out of the Top 10 in 2006” said Stewart.

“Our general advice to companies who end up on our website is to remind them how fast bad word of mouth can travel. The online environment has rewritten the rules of customer engagement. It is quite possible for a company to find themselves on NGE on the basis of a few complaints. One unhappy customer speaks up online and this encourages others to share their equally unhappy stories and the snowball gains speed.

“This is why smart companies will address the issue, turning bad news into good news. This encourages the online public to stand around admiring, rather than condemning, and spreading the good news. It is not rocket science, just good business sense but it’s still surpising how few companies understand this simple point.”

In the happier news this year, congratulations to Telstra which has again come out tops as Most Complimented Company, and the three new entrants, Commonwealth Bank, Australia Post and Kmart. What is also of interest in the Most Complimented Companies, is the presence of Qantas (a tried and true favourite) and the absence of its discount offspring, Jetstar in the happy news.

Over the past 4 years at NGE, we have noticed the increasing trend of customers’ complimenting companies that they feel proud of and have an emotional bond with. Qantas and Holden are clearly two of those companies.

The NGE Best & Worst Lists are compiled each year by NGE on the basis of data sourced from our alliance partner and Melbourne-based online research company, Brandaide Communications Pty Ltd.

These lists are based upon ~ 25 000 posts that NGE logged in the 12 months 26 April 2005 – 25 April 2006. NGE receives an average of 68 posts every day from an online community of 46 000 members. In the past 12 months, 40% of all posts have been being complaints, down from 75% in our first year of operation in 2002.

If you've got something to say about these lists, log in to Gripe HQ and post your thoughts in our newly-created "Best - Worst Companies 2006" forum.

Mr Seatback 2
8th May 2006, 09:58
What is with us Aussies, that we have nothing better to do with our time than whinge, and then whinge some more?

Fact is, so long as there is a seat sale, there will be bums on seats and full planes coming and going.

Rostov
8th May 2006, 12:31
Is anyone at all surprised with this?
Didn't think so.:ok:

Crossbleed
8th May 2006, 15:07
the hoy-paloy will always complain. When I waited tables the slimy wedding-party sh#tbags would always complain about the service. And this was their only dining-out experience of their lives.(Service was impeccable)
My point is this; those bothering to vote are usually wingers and slanted with the almost certain fact of the J clientele demographic (NOT YOU ROSTOV:E ) makes them pre-disposed to complain. Give an inch and they'll demand a mile. The new "jetset" formerly: bus,train,car-share unwashed. Gawd help us. Oh, for the days of planes what landed on water and wicker dining-chairs for one's luncheon.

Sandy Freckle
8th May 2006, 19:08
Cross and Seatback, you guys haven't even read the article. It doesn't just contain the "whingers". It has the most complimented companies, a list which contains the name "Qantas". RTFA.

Jetstar is a complained about company. Perhaps their idiotic check in procedures are the cause?

It is noteworthy that Virgin are also a "low cost carrier", yet they didn't make it to either list?

toolish
8th May 2006, 22:07
what a stupid survey, go down to the top 20, and all companies with a lot of size and exposure will be on both lists. NRMA is a perfect example most disliked and 9th liked all at the same time, absolute rubbish.

AerocatS2A
8th May 2006, 23:57
Agreed Toolish. Telstra is number one complimented company as well as being high on the complaint list. All it shows is that the bigger a company, the more feedback it gets, positive and negative. (I have no feeling about Jetstar, never flown with them and don't intend to.)

Mr Seatback 2
9th May 2006, 00:30
Anyone bothered enough to take the time to be part of a website called "notgoodenough.org" obviously has too much time on their hands.

Suffice to say, these complaints by in large (not all I might add) are driven by people who cannot follow the terms and conditions of travel they agreed to. Those 'idiotic check in procedures' are agreed to when passengers purchase a ticket (they must tick the terms and conditions to say they read them).

Yet, when the passengers cannot organise themselves enough to have check in baggage under 20kg, or be there before -30 to departure, it becomes everyone elses fault except theirs.

At Ansett, the airline bent over backwards to accommodate the faults of others. Jetstar doesn't, and yet IN SPITE of these complaints, goes from strength to strength. AVV had their 1 millionth passenger yesterday, didn't they?

I would hazard a guess that the same people who whinge the most about JQ keep on flying them because of the fares. DJ flies on much the same routes JQ does (except AVV)...enough fortitude to complain, but evidently not enough to fork out the extra dollars to fly on the rat perhaps?

DutchRoll
9th May 2006, 00:42
I hardly think consumer feedback is irrelevant or some sort of nonsense, despite the apparent limitations of the survey. Only one thing irritates me more than poor service, and that is the offending service providers denying it and insisting that their service is actually really good. That response is almost guaranteed to elicit some pretty sarcastic remarks in my case.

If you think Aussies whinge about poor service, you've obviously never been to the US and seen an American customer on the receiving end. They are ruthless.

While Jetstar is low to non-existent service by design, bear in mind that it can be the only choice for some people. I have friends in that situation. They are bloody-well entitled to complain about the service (and they do, both verbally and by choosing VB whenever flights permit). Notwithstanding all of the above, I agree that there is also a section of the community who expect something for nothing and these people are the true whingers. There is no evidence that I can see however, that this survey has somehow targeted only those people.

Arm out the window
9th May 2006, 01:05
What's wrong with Jetstar's check in? If you turn up early, you get to board early. If you're disabled or otherwise infirm, you can board early and get assistance.
When I've flown with them, I've seen people whinge about not being allowed to get on first because they turned up late, but I think they have a pretty fair system, considering no allocated seats.

Mr Seatback 2
9th May 2006, 01:44
DutchRoll

I think the most worthwhile feedback a consumer can provide is, where possible, not use the offending service again if they feel that strongly. Vote with your money. By in large, DJ's schedules link in with JQ's to compete, and DJ offers connecting baggage on connecting flights.

If these respondents feel so strongly against JQ, then why not avail themselves of connecting flights on DJ services? The schedules and frequencies do exist. If you can supply details where JQ is the ONLY choice except out of AVV, I'd be interested to see it. I don't agree that JQ are the ONLY choice where DJ fly into that port, although I stand to be corrected.

May I also point out, that since the inception of JQ, more flights exist to more destinations than ever before. During AN's and QF's tenure, there was at one point only one daily MCY service in the mornings only. NO EVENING services, and certainly no daily frequencies that exist currently. The consumer has more choice, and is now paying less for airfares - but, it would seem, this isn't enough. People wanted choice and lower fares - and they got it - but, it would seem, they weren't willing to sacrifice things like turning up -10 to departure to check in the whole family with bags.

Also, the MCY airfare - 21 day advance purchase with Sat night stay - was $450 return. You can purchase a JetFlex return fare for less!

Given that, by in large, with the two airline policy, Australians were spoilt by the two airlines of the time - and were being overcharged for the privilege. With the advent of greater competition that exists, offering lower airfares and greater frequencies, I'd be curious to know of all those who were surveyed, how many of them would be prepared to return to the 'good old days' of paying $450 return for a ticket? And then, work out the savings for them and their party?

I'm all about balance - it would seem that the Australian consumer - and certainly, the Australian traveller - has a VERY short memory.

Re: carriers denying bad service, etc. Couldn't agree more. JQ is not perfect, and in my view has made some stupid mistakes. But DJ and QF are no different. Much of these issues, if you look into them closely, are largely to do with training and staff cutbacks in key operational areas. Not that the passenger should be involved in such problems, mind you, nor affected by them.

"If you think Aussies whinge about poor service, you've obviously never been to the US and seen an American customer on the receiving end. They are ruthless."

In fact, I have been to the US a number of times - LA, NYC, ORD, SFO, etc. In all cases I've flown, with delays, etc. I've NEVER witnessed behaviour as bad as that displayed by Aussies and Brits! WHINGE WHINGE WHINGE! Has anyone seen an episode of Airline or Airport recently? :hmm:

I have been on a number of Australian flights - mostly on JQ - where there has been a near mutiny because of a weather delay, for petes sake! And the crew copped the worst abuse I've ever witnessed on an aircraft.

Flying out of Maroochydore a couple of weeks ago, the CSO's had to call the police to protect themselves because the inbound flight diverted due to storm activity over the airport. What the hell is going on???

Whilst I have witnessed bad staff behaviour in the US, I have not witnessed - oddly enough, maybe?? - 'ruthless' US travellers. By in large, they take a lot in their stride and so long as you keep them informed, they're at least placated. Could it be that they are simply better travellers than us?

Or is it that they simply understand the benefits - and sacrifices - greater competition has given them? Low cost carriers like JQ wouldn't exist if people didn't flood to their websites every seat sale.

cunninglinguist
10th May 2006, 07:21
Spot on, arm out, I can just picture sandy freckle turning up at 10 minutes before departure and swanning out to the a/c while everybody awaits the kings arrival:mad:

Since you have so much time on your hands Sandy, do a little comparison betweeen QF and VB fares sometime, low cost...yes, low price ...no:yuk:

Over and gout
10th May 2006, 09:47
The term "you get what you pay for" springs to mind.....:)

ennui
10th May 2006, 13:18
Can't stand em.

Hate the seat pitch, non existant service, and cattle class boarding procedure.

Only time I've traveled with em was duty travel where no alternative existed. Bit of a problem to get a reasonable seat when sign on +30 min, 3.5 hour travel and 6 hour duty.

Made for a long day!

As my mother in law said after travelling with them her first and last time, "If I wanted to associate with people who normally travelled by bus I'd catch one"

Sandy Freckle
10th May 2006, 22:10
I'm no fan of VB, cunning. I'm even less of a fan of Geoffstar. But the comparison is valid. And Geoffstar aint that much cheaper than VB, or QF for that matter.

And the chances of me sampling their ridiculous check in procedure? Nil. I'm not stupid enough to fly with them. Thats because I value my life and because I don't wear ugg boots as formal attire.

Buster Hyman
10th May 2006, 22:27
I see Optus made both lists, compliments & complaints...as they say, 32.8% of statistics are made up!

Merlins Magic
10th May 2006, 23:09
Can't stand em.
"If I wanted to associate with people who normally travelled by bus I'd catch one"

Often a point of discussion as we walk through the terminal. The fact of the matter is, these are the people that 5-10 years ago did catch the bus. The budget airline industry has given everyone the opportunity to travel. I think for that reason, why complain. If you want a large seat, legroom, glass of wine, nice meal and service, then stop complaining and pay the $ for a business class seat.

Jetstar, Virgin and Freedom have tapped a specific market very well. If they continue to make money doing what they're doing, why would they go to the effort and expense to change their procedures.

MM

airbusthreetwenty
11th May 2006, 10:46
Often a point of discussion as we walk through the terminal. The fact of the matter is, these are the people that 5-10 years ago did catch the bus. The budget airline industry has given everyone the opportunity to travel. I think for that reason, why complain. If you want a large seat, legroom, glass of wine, nice meal and service, then stop complaining and pay the $ for a business class seat.

Jetstar, Virgin and Freedom have tapped a specific market very well. If they continue to make money doing what they're doing, why would they go to the effort and expense to change their procedures.

MM

:ok: Well said.

Don Esson
11th May 2006, 10:58
Many people would chose to pay more and fly with anyone other than Virgin or Jetstar but their dilemma is compounded by Qantas reducing to a ridiculous level, or withdrawing, its services. More often than not, there is no ready alternative so many have as their fellow travellers those with whom they would never ever want to mix. I wonder what the level of complaints were like when either Qantas or QantasLink operated services now operated by Geoffstar? All that DJ and JQ have done is to take the industry to the lowest level imaginable, and why shouldn't people complain if they don't like the way these "airlines" do business by foisting minimal service levels at them? Are they so arrogant that they don't have to listen?

BankAngle50
12th May 2006, 01:42
OK brace yourselves because this will be about the only time I will ever defend Onestar or the bottom-dwellers that work there.
Onestar has never advocated itself as being anything else but a greyhound with cheap French wings.:yuk: They have never implied that they are a service airline, hence you should expect it, especially when you pay the lowest fares in the market place. It’s simply A to 100 kms outside of B.
Others have said it previously, but ”YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!” I can’t stomach fools that want to pay nothing but still expect, nay even dare to compare this feral operation with a quality, full service, Oneworld carrier such as QF mainline. That aside I still want to see Onestar seat pitch put to the test by placing Magda in row 2. :D

Eagleman
12th May 2006, 04:01
Originally Posted by ennui
Can't stand em.
"If I wanted to associate with people who normally travelled by bus I'd catch one"

All this tell me ennui is you are normal, i.e. you have an ill informed twit of a mother in law

Sistema
12th May 2006, 04:43
[QUOTE=BankAngle50] or the bottom-dwellers that work there.

With a comment like that, you seem the type that would fit right into the jetstar image you paint. I work for the mainlain, my partner however, not by choice, was transfered into jetstar. i have had some trips with them and quiet honestly they are not that bad. it has opened up a market which helps people who couldn't have prev travelled by air. as for the bus comment, you push carts collecting trash. theres a whole wide world out there (belive it or not) and it can be alot more glam morous!
I love it though.. and thankfully the group i work with within qantas are fantastic, and neither have traits similar to the above two comments made from people re bottom dwellers and bus people.

Safe flyin all :ok:

BurglarsDog
12th May 2006, 07:31
Have to disagree with the adverse comments about Jet* New jets, leather seats and...... practical uniforms! Have used em about 6 times this year between TVL BNE NZCH and have no complaints. Arrive early, get to the front of the Blue Queue and always get an emergency exit window seat. Select nominated seat on line for International leg. No worries so far. Take own grub and headset - sorted! What other services do you need? Looking forward to my $79 dollar trip back to Brissy next Sunday.

DogGone:ok:

BelfastChild
12th May 2006, 09:24
I avoid Jetstar like the plague - not because I dislike the airline, but because I can't stand the punters that fly it! The great unwashed, the overweight, the lower class, the people who should catch the bus. Gimme Qantas anyday!

Big Jan
12th May 2006, 10:51
"The great unwashed, the overweight, the lower class, the people who should catch the bus."

Isn't that how the English describe the Irish ? ;)

BelfastChild
12th May 2006, 11:09
Isn't that how the English describe the Irish ? ;)

Only those from South of the Border......:ok:

BankAngle50
12th May 2006, 11:14
big Jan Irish or kiwis!
Sistema No one has been forced to leave mainline to go there, as you Infer. I was not aware that anyone had taken up the slots there. In any case i'm sorry that your other ½ is there, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are sh1t airline and merely an industrial tool, devised in part to destroy our conditions. Glad to here you support this endeavor rather than your own colleges! Your naivety suggests you where 2 strips and cant see what’s really going on. Anyway this has been bashed to death on Qrewroom!

Sistema
12th May 2006, 12:34
oh BankAngel... get your facts right sista. I didn't say she was from the mainline, there has actually been a whole other company which started for jetstar, and that little company brought out some brilliant crew. Whist wearing the red roo uniform if i remember?
Although i must retract my words in regards to working for the mainline, because to have branded myself to the same likes of such a bucket mouth stewardess as yourself, would be unfair. Soon your type won't have a clue who to hate, because we are all going to be wearing the same uniform! Imagine that! :eek: But don't worry, the only crew from the actual real mainline (the stagnant one) who we will be crossing paths with will be those doing japan (the most senior) who i find to be the most pleasent and respectable crew from the 'southern bases'... :confused:
From the way you responed to my comment it seems catering should clean you out with the dirty carts, or as previously painted, just chuck you in a bag liner on a 25min turn around.
Jet Star, like every other airline is not perfect and has its problems. But those guys do a great job considering. ;)
Safe flyin all :ok:

Sandy Freckle
13th May 2006, 19:02
WAke up BA50. Sistema = FA.