PDA

View Full Version : Billy Deacon Memorial Trophy

212man
8th May 2006, 07:50
Being awarded to day.

http://www.shephard.co.uk/Rotorhub/Default.aspx?Action=745115149&ID=439e987e-bea2-459d-a78b-cad7b4d1ea14

A certain irony to this paragraph; no silver jubilee!..............:(

For the past 23 years, Bristow have supplied a quality service to the MCA, during which their highly professional and dedicated crews have carried out over 10,000 missions and saved many lives while operating the UK Coastguard Search and Rescue stations at Stornoway, Sumburgh, Lee on the Solent and Portland.

3D CAM
8th May 2006, 22:00
212man
Very true!
However; well done Nick!

Heliport
8th May 2006, 22:54
The Billy Deacon Search and Rescue (SAR) Memorial Trophy was presented this evening, Monday 8 May, to Royal Air Force helicopter winchman Master Aircrewman (MACR) Nicholas Petch by HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, at the Air League's Annual Awards Ceremony at St James's Palace, London.

On 13 March 2005 MACR Petch was a member of the Sea King helicopter crew of Rescue 128, part of the RAF's 202 Squadron SAR detachment at Leconfield, East Yorkshire.
His crew was scrambled to the coast at Scarborough to rescue a mother and two children who had been swept from the sea wall by a massive wave and 2 other people who had entered the water in an attempt to save them.
His selfless bravery and courage despite treacherous seas which repeatedly took him underwater he pressed ahead with his rescue attempt despite the imminent danger to his own life.

Group Captain Steve Garden, RAF Search and Rescue Force Commander said, "I am absolutely delighted to hear that this prestigious award has gone to Master Aircrewman Nick Petch. His relaxed, self-deprecating manner belies a man who, by his actions, displayed exceptional fearlessness in the face of danger.
"With his repeated courageous actions in the face of great personal danger, MACR Petch has superbly upheld the gallant traditions of both his Squadron and his Service.
Knowing Nick, he is probably asking himself, 'Why me?' a typical reaction from a consummate professional who, along with all other winchmen, daily place the needs and safety of others ahead of their own. This is an exceptionally well-deserved award and one of which Nick should be justifiably proud."

Congratulations to Nick Petch. :ok:

rafloo
8th May 2006, 23:43
Good story. I knew Billy Deacon and he would be the first to congratulate that chap. He would also be the first to question why an act as brave and courageous as that hasn't resulted in any other awards...or maybe it has. whatever, a worty recipient.

Ray Stawynch
9th May 2006, 05:27
Congratulations to Nick

9th May 2006, 05:55
Excellent news, well deserved Nick, many congratulations.

FJJP
9th May 2006, 06:10
I know Nick and have worked with him. To look at, you wouldn't think he'd say 'boo!' to a goose!

It's always the quiet ones, innit?

Well done Nick - I salute your courage and feel much humbled....

The Swinging Monkey
9th May 2006, 07:06
Hey Nick,
well done you old mucker!!
I wish I was still with you mate, but the eyesight (and a bit of old age) has reduced me to flying spamcans for the rest of my days.
Well done, and thoroughly deserved.
The Swinging Monkey

SinkingMallard
11th May 2006, 07:00
Well done Nick :ok:

Arctic Tern
12th May 2006, 21:33
Well Done Nick. Another well-deserved award for the brave men and women who perform these SAR duties. I'm sure it was 'just another job' for the boys from 202 Sqn, but we all appreciate what you do. Carry-on the great work.