PDA

View Full Version : Actinoform clouds - anyone seen them?

Guppy Driver
8th May 2006, 05:33
Stumbled upon this article on Wikipedia today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinoform_cloud

and was wondering if anyone has seen them here in Oz?

Thanks - Guppy

Howard Hughes
8th May 2006, 07:24
If they are 300 klm's long, how would we know?
Unless of course we were looking from the International space station, or perhap's one of Sir Dick's joyrides...;)

OZBUSDRIVER
8th May 2006, 09:40
I have often wondered if a mass of air would act much the same as other fluids. I have observed air masses change from clear to fairly cloud in a matter of minutes. Much like when a fluid reaches saturation using an indicator fluid in titrations. There is a point where there is just the faintest of hints of an indication then with a small addition the colour changes across the whole fluid almost immeadiately. These changes in a mass of air occur quicker than say a passage of a front. Almost as if the entire mass is on the point of change and only needs a trigger. These clouds could be following the same principle as the formation of dendrites in molten metal ( and when water is change state to ice). The air mass could contain disimilar quantities of different composition of air/humidity/temperature that cause the mass not to mix well. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Hate wet days...gives me too much time to think.

AusFlygal
8th May 2006, 12:03
aaaahhh ok..........so that is a no then!

:confused:

OZBUSDRIVER
8th May 2006, 12:41
Yes, AusFlygal. That is a firm no!:}