PDA

View Full Version : BAA in talks for ABZ-IAH route

Mr R Sole
7th May 2006, 22:48
Article from the Aberdeen Press and Journal

HOPES HIGH THAT TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT TO HOUSTON CAN GET OFF THE GROUND

Plans for Aberdeen to get its first transatlantic air service took a significant step forward yesterday.

There are now hopes that a route between the Granite City and the US oil capital of Houston could start as early as next year.

However, it is expected Aberdeen Airport's proposed runway extension will have to be completed before the service starts.

A new survey by Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce and Aberdeen Airport operator BAA will also have to prove that the demand is there to support the route.

It emerged last October that Aberdeen Airport was in discussion with several airlines for scheduled flights between the two cities.

A meeting was held in Houston yesterday involving representatives of the city's George Bush International Airport, an unnamed US airline, Aberdeen Airport managing director Andy Flower and chamber chief executive Geoff Runcie.

Mr Runcie, who was also representing Aberdeen and Shire Economic Forum at the meeting, said later: "It went very well. It was an important step. I'm optimistic that an Aberdeeen-Houston service can get off the ground."
He said that more than 32,000 trips were made annually between the two cities, with the majority involving people in the oil and gas sector.

The chamber boss expects the survey of the north-east business community's requirements for services out of Aberdeen Airport will probably take place at the end of the summer.

The previous survey in 2002 identified a top 10 of new routes people wanted to fly and he said seven of them were now up and running, with active discussions taking place on the other three - which include Houston.

Mr Runcie confirmed that Aberdeen Airport is still in discussion with a number of airlines regarding the US route.

He said the airline which attended the Houston meeting had described the economics of starting an Aberdeen service without a lengthened runway as an economic challenge.

A longer runway would allow aircraft with more weight-carrying capacity to use Aberdeen and this would improve the economic business case.

Mr Flower told the meeting that the planning application for a 300-metre runway extension was now with Aberdeen City Council.

The chamber boss said, if it got the go-ahead in the months ahead, then the airport could move reasonable quickly to start the extension.

The subject of Donald Trump's multi-million-pound golf venture planned for the north-east also came up in the discussion at the meeting.

Mr Runcie said: "Such a development would increase the potential traffic from Houston to Aberdeen, as US golfers would be attracted to play there."

Willing to put a tenner on the 'unnamed airline' being Continental!!!

Like many I will believe an IAH route when I see it but they will need to continue to build more stands and the terminal needs to be extended!

Just been on the CAA website and while ABZ ranks quite far down on passenger numbers, it is the 6th busiest airport in the UK on aircraft movements. It has overtaken Birmingham and Luton and surprising to see it is streets ahead of Glasgow!!!

oldlag53
8th May 2006, 08:38
Wouldn't get too excited if I were you...these kinda talks go on all the time - after all, one of airport management's main tasks is to get more airlines and routes.

Surely ABZ's lofty status on the movements ladder is due to the large number of oil-related helicopter flights??

Mr R Sole
8th May 2006, 09:41
Like I said, I will believe it when I see it so no excitement from this end, however BAA have a nasty habit of taking on more business than they can handle! The apron first thing in the morning is testament to this!!!!

Richard Taylor
8th May 2006, 10:01
Stand 1 designated A B & C for smaller a/c parking there, Stands 8 & 10 split
L(eft) & R(ight) to accomodate smaller a/c, you're not kidding!!!

Yes lots of helis (were it ever thus) but more fixed-wing schedules these days than helis.

With the likes of X9, T3, BM Reg & FR either started or due to start new routes in the coming months, space is becoming more constrained.

Noticeable how the N.Sea training helis train more often at INV & DND for example as I presume ABZ is too busy (especially during the week) for what they need to do in their training programme.