PDA

View Full Version : DHL PILOTS FORCED TO FLY INTO IRAQ

red i
7th May 2006, 15:16
Manama Bahrain - pilots and flight engineers at DHL Bahrain are facing suspension and possible termination after refusing to fly into Iraq. Aviation managers called a meeting with flight crew members three months ago advising them of the companies intentions to resume operations into war torn Iraq. Pilots were given the assurance that the company would address their various concerns before operations were to commence. They asked for clarification on matters such as safety and security measures and briefings, choice of participation, legality of the operation, personal insurance coverage and monetary issues. The company representatives reneged on their promise to address these issues within the specified timeframe (given by themselves) and thereafter, even when repeated calls were made upon management to do so. DHL Bahrain operates a number of scheduled flights to destinations in and around the Middle East. The company has in recent weeks repainted a number of their now familiar yellow and red DHL aircraft, to an inconspicuous white and grey, expressly for operations into Iraq. A day before operations were scheduled to commence, the Chief Pilot, acting on behalf of the pilots, advised management that they would not participate in flights to Iraq as NONE of their concerns had been officially responded to. DHL Bahrain Aviation Operations Director responded and was telephonically recorded as saying that any pilots/engineers refusing to do the proposed Iraq flights should consider themselves dismissed with immediate effect. As a result, DHL's Chief Pilot has been suspended from all duties pending further action. Flight crews expessed their dismay at the strong-arm tactics employed by DHL management in an attempt to force them into flying to a classified war zone. Pilots are now also taking it upon themselves to get in touch with the relevant authorities to inquire about the legalityof flights operated by aircraft and crew of a contracting state to the US FAA, which prohibits civilian aircraft operating into Iraq. A DHL Airbus was shot down over Baghdad in 2003 but miraculously survived the attack by sheer luck and exeptional flying skills exhibited by the flight crew. The aircraft was severely damaged after a shoulder launched missile struck the aircraft on departure out of the Iraqi capital en rout to Bahrain. DHL suspended all flights into Iraq after the attack.

pedras
9th May 2006, 19:11
DHL didn't suspend the flights, they just changed the Belgium registration to Spanish, flew for one year to Afghanistan and then the registration changed again to Saudi for SNAS so...Belgium for EAT,Spanish for Swiftair, Saudi for
SNAS and who owns Swiftair or in another words, who controls Swiftair,who?
A previously EAT Belgium registered A300 flew into Iraq until Last December with again Spanish registration and also another 2 B727's. Again Swiftair.
What is Swiftair, please tell me

doubleu-anker
9th May 2006, 22:41
"DHL PILOTS FORCED TO FLY INTO IRAQ "

B/S no one is forced to do anything. If they don't like it they should leave. Pure greed (money) "forces" someone to do something they don't want to do.

DDDOF
10th May 2006, 08:09
Sad!!!!!!!!
But I'm not in the least bit suprised!!
People skills were never very good there.
Just do it or else!!!

justforfun
10th May 2006, 11:03
Don't believe everything you read guys...:rolleyes:

JFF ;)

red i
10th May 2006, 19:28
Short Term Loadies needed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...for Middle East (not Iraq or Afghanistan) - must have extensive ramp experience etc, drop me a PM if interested.
JFF
Does this look familiar JFF, and so your saying.................??

justforfun
11th May 2006, 06:00
Red i

And?... clarifying a location for a short term position means.... what exactly? It's no secret that those ops are not for everyone ...

If you don't want to do it on safety or any other grounds then don't join, it is no secret what DHL do out of BAH, and has not been for over two and a half years, so for anyone to join in that time, would have to be extremely naive to think that they would not be expected to operate to Iraq.

It's not rocket science is it?

JFF :ok:

pilot330
11th May 2006, 09:00
hi guys
i have been in the same situation as you guys and i did some research.
i have the email of the FAA , JAA , BBC , CNN and i manage to find AL JAZIRA.
Just give me the go head and i will forward them the thread .

Keep on fighting, you don't deserve to be treated this way

hope to see good results

Soap Box Cowboy
11th May 2006, 20:55
Does anyone have any details about jobs going at DHL in Bahrain? Been trying to find out information for a while now but no replies to any posts. Basicly What's the pay and requirments for the Metro fleet? And are the metro's still there or going to be there in the future?

DDDOF
12th May 2006, 05:03
Redi - Are you refering to the Turboprop operation or the 727 operaation in your original post??

ennui
12th May 2006, 08:39
Badger if your reading this please PM me, need a chat!

AlR
13th May 2006, 15:01
Crew should grab one of the Management guys and stuff him in the biffy, then do an Iraq trip. If the poor bastard hasn't soiled his trousers by the time he gets back ,(if he does get back) then stuff him back in the biffy and let the next crew take him with again. Couple of nights experiencing what the crew deals with on a daily basis might "lighten" him up.

Ya know, maybe a good idea for one of senior management to accompany crew on eack Iraq trip. Just to show the crew you are really behind them, as to speak.

=====================================

Dallas Twr.....Iran Air 11-9 final approach, Gear down for 09R.
IAir 11-9, DFW Twr...cleared to land 09R.
DFW TWR, IAir 11-9 understand cleared to land 09R ...Allah is great.

DFW TWR, IAir 9-11....intercepting final apprach for 27L with Gear down .
IAir 9-11, DFW TWR...good morning, cleared to land 27L and tell Allah "hey" for all of us down here.

ironbutt57
21st May 2006, 08:07
dont think anybody's afraid to go to Iraq...just want some provision for the family if something happens..

6000PIC
21st May 2006, 17:24
I`m afraid to go to Iraq Ironbutt , but then again I`d be afraid on the back of your Harley...

thayrd
25th May 2006, 19:25
Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As taken from the aip for afghanistan:

"gen 0.1.2 Flight safety risks and compliance with AIP Procedures

0.1.2.1 All operators are informed that there are ongoing military operations in Afghanistan and non-military flight operations could be at significant risk. There are continuing reports of indiscriminate small arms attacks on aircraft operating in Afghanistan. Operators undertake flights within the Kabul FIR at their own risk"

I am sure that similar wording applies to the AIP.s for Iraq. just dont have them at hand at present.

"Notam for OAIX BAGRAM

A0198/04-Bagram airfield (BAF). If BAF is under attack remain/attain at or above FL250 and/or outside 15NM of BAF until directed by ATC. Wie until perm".

All companies operating into Afghanistan or Iraq have to sign a statement of release of liability before they can operate.

Interesting?

Elroy Jettson
25th May 2006, 23:20
You all must be mistaken! Bushy clearly told you that hostilities ended in May 2003, while standing on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln! Remember?

Good luck to the unfortunate crews who have to fly into this cluster fcuk.

sec 3
26th May 2006, 04:12
Still need short term loadies? If so can you pm me. Shukria:E