PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow and Construction

shon7
6th May 2006, 20:05
How soon will all the construction end at Heathrow. Flown in and out for the last decade and it seems to never stop.

Isn't T5 almost complete. What's all this new construction then?

Gonzo
6th May 2006, 20:15
Still one more satellite to go for T5, and all the associated taxiways etc. And once that's all done in about 2008, T1 and T2 are going to be flattened and rebuilt. :{

Globaliser
7th May 2006, 09:24
How soon will all the construction end at Heathrow.It'll stop when Heathrow is closed forever.

Getoutofmygalley
7th May 2006, 09:57
T1 and T2 are going to be flattened and rebuilt. :{

T1 as well Gonzo? :oh: I knew that T2 was going to be knocked down but I hadn't heard about T1 :sad:

PAXboy
7th May 2006, 10:04
It has often been said that Heathrow is the only construction site that has it's own private aerodrome ...

Of course, I do not subscribe to the view that - if you are always building and changing things - then you will always have a job and an excuse for putting up the prices. :rolleyes:

Gonzo
7th May 2006, 11:39
Maybe not the 'terminal' as such, but a lot of the stands/taxiways will be worked on.

Leezyjet
7th May 2006, 20:28
Rumour also has it that the only day in the Airport's history that there were no building works going on was the day it opened.

:hmm:

apaddyinuk
8th May 2006, 23:23
Well Leezyjet, Im afraid thats untrue either because on the day the airport opened the passengers were housed in tents while the main terminal was being built!!! LOL!!

WHBM
9th May 2006, 14:09
The next significant project, after T5 opens and the second T5 satellite is built, is to rejig the taxiways around the main terminal area (especially now Rwy 23 is closed) so they enclose a rectangular area rather than the present somewhat cut-into area due to the original runway pattern. Then the space gained will be filled up with additional terminal extensions.

Looking down on T5 from a departing aircraft a couple of days ago, was interested to note the roadways etc still have a lot of work to be done on them (despite the M25 connections seeming complete), and the main buildings have a considerable way to go too, yet the stands at the satellite are already in extensive use for overflow aircraft parking by T3 operators. Is anyone being bussed from the terminal to these stands already ?

radeng
9th May 2006, 14:48
WHBM,

You asked"Is anyone being bussed from the terminal to these stands already ?"

I came back the other Friday night from Stockholm, and was bussed FROM a T5 stand into T1.

PAXboy
9th May 2006, 15:03
... and was bussed FROM a T5 stand into T1. that is very good news radeng. It means that the airport is already over the planned capacity for T5 and that when T5 is open, they will not have enough stands. This means that they can apply for further expansion. :}

apaddyinuk
9th May 2006, 16:42
I have noticed recently that when doing flights out of T1/T3 us BA crew are being bussed via T5 through the new road tunnels. All very nice to see the new terminal up close but the journey seems to be adding about 5 minutes to our transit (thus eating into our security check and boarding time despite our punctuality drive) and as we drive by T5 the stench from the slurry works is still very much there. I sooooo hope they get rid of this bit by 2008 or our aircraft will permanently stink....moreso that is! :}

WHBM
10th May 2006, 09:07
I am wondering if, when T5 opens, the stands at the second satellite which is not built yet (2012 I believe, possibly in time for the Olympics) will be used as a whole series of bus gates from the main T5 building. Can't see how BA can fit all their operations in otherwise. Bus delays are one of the current bugbears for BA at Heathrow so they will have to come up with some radical plan for how they are handled.