PDA

View Full Version : Police stop new helicopter maiden flight!

Cyclic Hotline
6th May 2006, 19:00
Well, at least he's still alive!:eek:

Curious Villager Constructs Two-Seated Helicopter From Scooter Engines
May 5, 2006 2:32 p.m. EST

Som Patidar - All Headline News Contributor

Lucknow, India (AHN) - Mustkeem, a resident of Bhagwat district of Northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh has constructed a two-seated helicopter from two scooter engines.

According to a local daily paper the helicopter may be the smallest helicopter ever at a measurement of 15x7 and weighing 250kg.

When the Mustkeen and other villagers gathered to test the helicopter, local police stopped them and arrested Mustkeem.

Chief police officer of Bhagwat district says, "We have no problem on the testing of helicopter if they will have a permission from Indian civil aviation department.”

vetskone
6th May 2006, 23:36
Well, we've all been wanting cheaper alternatives to the major manufacturers. perhaps this is the next "cost effective" outsourcing after call centres:)

i4iq
7th May 2006, 03:40
Uttar Pradesh - yeah, I've been there... I reckon there must have been a cow in the way, they have right of way up there...

cyclicpushover
7th May 2006, 05:43
I must say Mustkeem was keen :yuk:

Spose youd need a twin engine endorsment on that one anyway :hmm:

ShyTorque
7th May 2006, 10:19
I know of an RAF pilot who designed, made and flew a "strap-on" one man heli using a Triumph 500cc motorcycle engine.

Agaricus bisporus
7th May 2006, 11:57
In the '70s there was a home made helo on a plinth outside a scrapyard near Sunbury on Thames. It's construction was vaguely reminiscent of a B47, it had a Triumph twin motorcycle engine and I think a Sunbeam motorcycle worm-drive back hub for TR Gearbox. Don't recall the MGB.

Doubt it had enough power to fly though, and its position in a scrapyard probably said it all. Anyone know more?

rotorcraig
7th May 2006, 13:51
From Outlook India (http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=382350)
Police stop Baghpat villager's 'test-flight'

MEERUT (UP), MAY 4 (PTI)

He wanted to fly high, but the hand of law stopped his take-off.

Mustkeem, a vegetable seller of Ratool village in Baghpat district of Uttar Pradesh, claims to have made a 3.5 metre-long two-seater helicopter using parts of tractor, scooter and autorickshaw.

As the 24-year-old prepared to fly the 'home-made helicopter' from an open ground at the village yesterday, police arrived at the spot and took him into custody. He was later freed following requests by villagers, but only after giving an undertaking that he would not fly the machine.

District Magistrate G D Tripathi today said Mustkeem has not taken permission for the 'test-flying' and has been asked to approach the Civil Aviation Ministry to present his case. "Only after some experts checking and okaying the machine he may be allowed to fly," the DM said.

Mustkeem claims he has spent Rs 50,000 to prepare the copter, fitted with two engines. But he also admits that it might have some shortcomings which will be known only after flying it.

Meanwhile, people from the neighbouring areas are thronging the village to have a look at Mustkeem's 'dream machine'.

and from NDTV.com (http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?category=National&slug=Experts+meet+copter+innovator&id=87668)
Experts meet copter innovator

NDTV Correspondent

Sunday, May 7, 2006 (Baghpat):

A two-member team of the National Innovation Foundation today visited Mustakeen, a college drop out in Baghpat in Uttar Pradesh who made a helicopter for Rs one lakh.

The foundation will now approach the National Aeronautical Laboratory in Bangalore for expert opinion on whether the helicopter is actually airworthy.

For the moment Mustakeen has not been allowed to fly the helicopter as he does not have a pilot's license.

bugdevheli
7th May 2006, 21:12
I believe the one place helicopter outside the scrapyard is the Adams Wilson Choppy. 500cc Triumph twin engine Several made and flown some years ago. Plans still available, two being built in the UK at the moment.

Cyclic Hotline
10th May 2006, 14:57
Experts ground Mustakeen's helicopter

NDTV Correspondent

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 (Baghpat):

Mustakeen, who invented a helicopter for Rs. one lakh, will not be able to fly his discovery after the two member team found it unsafe.

A two-member team of the National Innovation Foundation who went to examine the machine said it was not technically sound.

"Well we have told him that this machine is not technically sound to fly. Its not so easy to make a chopper," said Capt Goankar, helicopter pilot.

Sobering advice

After the sobering advice the pilots had some words of praise for the young man, who is a college dropout from Baghpat.

They said that Mustakeen's accomplishment showed that his understanding of mechanics was well above average.

So, though Mustakeen's dreams have been grounded for now he promises to be back with another invention soon.

And the chopper, airworthy or not is still a big draw with people from distant villages still dropping in for a glimpse.

SoundBarrier
10th May 2006, 18:52
Don't be surprised but our friend here Mustakeen is not the first. To my limited recollection there was one before this in the low lying lands of Zimbabwe in the early 90's.

Flt Lt. Sibanda was his name I recall and made a single engine chopper from bits and bobs from a Citroen I think. I have the video somewhere, genuine this is!

We have no picture of this twin engine scooter jobbie, but I know the one Flt Lt. Sibanda made was, well, rubbish and never going to fly!

Who want to have a go and make one themselves?

Coconutty
11th May 2006, 13:18
At least one UK Police force is looking for a new machine, although no official announcement has yet been made as to the type ......

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/BudgetaryConstraints.jpg

:rolleyes:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/coconut.jpg
Coconutty