PDA

View Full Version : life in UAE

YAT
6th May 2006, 13:54
I am wondering what life is like in UAE and area. I have lived in Riyadh for a while back in the late 80's, so the area is not totally new. But wonder about what the Mrs would do, and how other countries in the area are with Muslim law. In terms of womens freedoms, ie how to dress and such. Thinking of applying to a few carriers in the ME and would like to give my wife a view of life from some people who have been or are there now.
Any info would be great, thanks!

gatvol2006
6th May 2006, 18:55
Hey my man you got sand in Saudi? Well we also got it in the UAE! Culture stays the same. However lot more liberal. Wife? Well as a pilot here, as I guess in most places, Jumeira Jane will divorce you and run back home with as much money as she can. If you think you can avoid that....this is a lot better. No no biyas required, thats a plus.

specialrider987
7th May 2006, 07:33
Dude,
I have also lived in KSA, from the late 80s. Now I am in Dubai. The UAE is much easier to live in from certain perspectives. It is hard to save money here, especially as an FO at any of the carriers. Your progression to command will influence your decision here. Good schools are very expensive, not covered completely by any packages that I know of. Lots of expats make the decision to school their kids where it's cheap. This is highly personal, admittedly. Read as much as you can on this site. There's lots of truth in the various rants, more truth than myth. Good luck.

YAT
7th May 2006, 13:56
Thanks for the honest answers thus far. Glad to hear that it is not as hard on women as KSA. My wife is happy to hear that too! Will keep looking and reading what all I can about life over there and will get the application going with a little more time under my belt.
Would they hire an F/O without any jet time? Still low time but getting everything on twin turbine and currently on the DHC 8. Curious and still about a year away from applying.
Thanks again.

specialrider987
7th May 2006, 14:04
YAT

www.emiratesgroupcareers.com (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com)

this will spell out the company's requirements. I believe that for F/O jobs one still needs 2000+ hours of jet time on 55K kg jets as a minimum. Check it out. It's a dog's life here on the airbus fleet at the moment. truly, we are being worked to the bone. I have never been so fagged in all my life (pun intended...!).

StarWinder
7th May 2006, 14:15
YAT:

Lifestyle in UAE depends on which emirate you decide to take up residence in. Dubai is very cosmopolitan, bureaucracy there is service-oriented. Go to Sharjah, and you will encounter much you know from KSA (the sheikh of Sharjah married a Saudi princess and as a result, the place went from liberal to conservative) and a bureaucracy that moves at a snail's pace.

However, in none of the emirates will you find repressive sh!t such as a prohibition for women to drive or the compulsory dressing up as coal bags.