PDA

View Full Version : Australian IF Law study

Wee_Willy
6th May 2006, 08:55
Hey folks,

I am currently flying in NZ and will be coming over to Australia for a few months shortly.

I am looking at doing a bit of flying (IFR) and would like to know which book/s are the best to read up on to find out out about the differences between our airspaces, (i.e. what book/s do you guys use to study for IF Law) and where would be the best place to get hold of them (I'll need to get them posted to NZ so the company would have to accept credit cards).

Cheers for your help.

W_W

Led Zep
6th May 2006, 11:54
Bob Tait's Instrument Rating Study Guide, or the Aviation Theory Centre's Command Instrument Rating Manual.
The Bob Tait is probably the pick, I ended up using both. :8 Haven't read the "Mastering Instrument Flying" book they have there though.

http://www.downunderpilotshop.com.au/Books_Instrument_Flying-p-1-c-97.html

Haven't dealt with the shop above, just provided it as a starting point!

AerocatS2A
6th May 2006, 13:37
I used Bob Tait's book. It was good, although I got confused by a couple of things that had changed since it was published.

Rate1
7th May 2006, 11:51
Hi Wee Willy,
Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe to fly IFR in Australia you will need to pass our Irex theory exam and pass a Command Instrument Rating flight test.
Cheers
PS. Don't forget to apply for a ASIC card and allow at least 3 months to be processed.

AerocatS2A
7th May 2006, 13:50
Rate1, that may normally be the case but NZ and Australia have an agreement to recognise each other's professional ratings and licences. All Wee Willy needs to do is front up to CASA with his logbook, NZ licence and medical, handover a sum of money, and he will be given a temporary Aus licence on the spot. The permanent one follows later in the mail. This only works for professional licences, so it is good for a CPL and higher but no good for a PPL.

Of course, he'll need an ASIC which may take some time :rolleyes: