PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Sound Problem ASUS Mobo

bonvol
6th May 2006, 03:17
This is driving me nuts. I have just built a "new" computer with the following specs

Win XP Sp2
P4 2.0 Mhz
1 gig RAM
ASUS P4S800-MX Mobo
80 Gig IDE Drive

As its a second hand board I downloaded the relevant drivers from the ASUS site and all went well till I tried to install the Sound Max Drivers. The install program simply refuses to run for some reason. The Video drivers went in fine. I have updated the BIOS and Sound is enabled in the setup so I am at a loss.

I assumed firstly that I had the wrong drivers but the ASUS archive (WDM-3665) is the one from the boards support section for WIN XP

Any ideas anyone ?

Mac the Knife
6th May 2006, 06:29
The download may be corrupted. Download it again and try again.

:ok:

bonvol
6th May 2006, 06:40
Thanks Mac,
I have done that but alas same prob. :{

Mac the Knife
6th May 2006, 06:52
"The install program simply refuses to run for some reason. "

If you mean the installer won't even start then the file MUST be corrupted. Try redownloading it from one of the other ASUS download sites - try USA or Europe rather than Global (or whatever).

Google for "ASUS P4S800-MX drivers" and see what you can find in the way of drivers.

Mac

bonvol
6th May 2006, 07:36
Yes Mac, thats exactly what I mean.

I have tried all their sites for a good file, USA, China and Europe is all they list. Three downloads and three fails. Maybe I can find a good file somewhere else ? I've googled as you suggest but most leads go back to ASUS. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

maxell
6th May 2006, 08:30
Try a search for just the souncard drivers. Looks like its a Realtek ALC 655
from This (http://en.toppreise.ch/desc_60475.html) site

bonvol
6th May 2006, 11:03
Thanks Maxell, that looks like a good site.The link you gave me was to this Mobos sister board the P4S800-MX_SE but the P4S809-MX is bound to be there somewhere.

Well, you wouldn't believe it, I emailed ASUS a few hours ago about this problem and they got back to me as I was typing this. The "Lite" version of the Install program is on their support site not the "Full" version. They have given me a link to FTP it. Why the "Full" version is not there who knows.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied!