PDA

View Full Version : Downstream speed ?

Mad Monk
5th May 2006, 23:49
:confused: A curiosity.
I have a 2 Mpbs downstream, upgrading sometime between last month and when hell freezes over to 8 Mbps.
So if 2 Mpbs, equating to some 250 Kpbs, is available for ALL accesing software [Browsers, P2P, VPN &c.], why does e-mail trudge in at a max of 50Kpbs ?
This is of no major significance when all is text; but I do occaisionally receive imagery from bits of family. I am not talking huge files I keep under 1MB generally and under 5Mb for high spec pics.
So, my ISP has been e-mailed numerous times and they speak not. They do not respond at all. This is an ISP one does not name but was formally owned by and still associated with a 'balloonist' of extreme sorts.
For those who have not switched off, I do not see that bandwith and contention ratios are legitimate comment here; so do I have a sub-standard service [other ISPs are not doing the snail like thing] and if so why ? Are the ISP's servers resricted, by speed owing to age, monetary greed or somesuch else ?
Constuctive coment welcomed, anything else is PPRuNe-able.
Thank you for your time if you read this rant, Mad Monk.

Milt
6th May 2006, 00:00
Downstream Speed

Easily calculated by the addition of your TAS and the Downstream speed.

GPS will provide a fairly accurate number.

Never land downstream as you are likely to meet someone coming upstream.

CPU means Chief Pilot Upset and a Mirosoft is a smooth landing by an Ultralite.

Mad Monk
6th May 2006, 00:21
Mirosoft ?
Not a term I recall using and jolly close gatesworld.
I have on occasion been required to utilise the "GatesWerld" OS.
OK so I would like to live in Linux but I have been doing Macintosh for fifteen years now.
I gave up Old Holborn, more or less, but the a 'friend' gave me this stunning ligther that looks and feels like a miniature pipe wrench !:\