PDA

View Full Version : Thanks QF697

Roger Standby
5th May 2006, 13:59
Earlier today (5/5) I had a VFR declare Pan unsure of position around Bendigo. All ended up well with the aircraft landing safely without any major dramas. I would like to thank the crew of QF697 (VHTJT) on the ML-AD route who, without any hesitation, offered to help in any way they could. Through their assistance I could keep the lightie on freq and get the PAL activated and after landing, relay messages back and forth to the aircraft.

Once the event had finished I was quick to thank the crew and flick them over to the next sector. Obviously in these scenarios there are things going on in the background that cannot be heard on air with bosses asking questions and so on... all SOP really.

My main reason for this post is that I didn't mean to come over abruptly on the freq. transfer and to thank the crew again for their assistance. The teamwork made things run smoothly and it was appreciated. Hopefully if the crew does not read this, another QF crew might look up the details and pass my message on.

Cheers,

Roger Standby.

Continental-520
5th May 2006, 15:20
I think all the guys flying up in the gulf area of western QLD this afternoon deserve a thanks too after helping out that VFR guy who found himself short of fuel on top of 8/8 about 1530EST today.

It was good to see that so many people offered to help and do whatever they could to help the pilot become visual, which he eventually became before landing safely at Karumba.

Nice work! :)

For the benefit of the pilot involved though, may I suggest you familiarise yourself with using your GPS a little better, as its use could have relieved you a little sooner. Not a criticism, just something that could ease the workload in circumstances such as those you faced today, is all.

Ultralights
6th May 2006, 03:10
its good to see, that dispite appearing a group of backstabbing bitching housewives on the ground, in front of their PC,s that Oz pilots and crews are always willing to help a fellow aviator out no matter his aircraft type and the situation their in, good work to all.:ok:

BendigoPan
6th May 2006, 09:12
As the pilot of the aircraft that declared pan-pan at Bendigo this evening, I would like to acknowledge the assistance provided by you Roger Standby and QFA697.

A diversion from my original destination left me arriving late at Bendigo. With approximately 20 miles left to run Bendigo I started losing instrument lighting and lost one of my radios.

I could no longer see my maps due to the lighting and had my passenger hoding a torch to the panel. I was visual but virga was passing the field at intervals that had me quite anxious. I have no doubt that the distractions required in getting the lighting on could have seen a different outcome to this flight.

I made some questionable operational decisions that night (that had me pondering on the ground as to whether I was good enough to be in this caper), but the best decision I made was to declare pan and seek centre's assistance.

Roger Standby and QFA697, You were both fantastic, your assistance was greatly appreciated and will not be forgotten by me or my passenger....ever!

Legends!

Capt Fathom
6th May 2006, 10:55
...after helping out that VFR guy who found himself short of fuel on top of 8/8 about 1530EST today.

For the benefit of the pilot involved though, may I suggest you familiarise yourself with using your GPS a little better, as its use could have relieved you a little sooner.
Often it is the reliance on the GPS that creates the problem!

Led Zep
6th May 2006, 12:00
Good to see it had a happy outcome BendigoPan. What was the problem, dicky alternator?

AerocatS2A
6th May 2006, 13:31
I made some questionable operational decisions that night (that had me pondering on the ground as to whether I was good enough to be in this caper), but the best decision I made was to declare pan and seek centre's assistance.

If you made it to the ground, and have the self awareness to realise you made some poor decisions and the predicament wasn't caused entirely by outside influences, then you are good enough to be in this caper.

Continental-520
7th May 2006, 11:43
Often it is the reliance on the GPS that creates the problem!

Yes, especially when operator infamiliarity comes into play...

MaryG
10th May 2006, 06:50
don't give up the caper Bendigo bud, you have shown the most important quality of a good aviatior - the ability to learn from mistakes and be humble about those that you have made. We all stuff up mate, Qantas iss full of people that have made massive mistakes, but few who didn't eat humble pie and learn from their mistakes
Good on ya mate!! -look forward to seeing you out there