PDA

View Full Version : Expat Pilots in M.E. "Treated withRespect in This Part of the World"

bear96
5th May 2006, 12:32
Hi All,

Long time lurker -- first time poster.

Here is what finally moved me to post:

With Jobs Scarce, U.S. Pilots Sign on at Foreign Airlines (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114679336527844550.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)

Interesting article about U.S.-expats finding great jobs all over the world. The WSJ is doing a promotion this week where you can access their website for free but I am not sure exactly when that ends (or consequently how long that link will work).

Some highlights:

But Capt. Murray's flying career was far from over. Today he lives in Dubai and flies wide-body Airbus A330s for fast-growing Emirates Airlines, winging to exotic destinations in Europe, Africa and Asia. He's home more than he ever was at US Airways, and his total compensation package -- including health care, housing allowance, retirement plan and vacation -- is superior. He says his wife and children enjoy living in the United Arab Emirates, and "from a professional standpoint, it couldn't be better."

Capt. Murray, who flies out of Dubai, says safety standards are high at Emirates, and its 1,350 pilots from 70 nations speak fluent English. He says pilots are "treated with respect in this part of the world. We're driven to work. We're put in four- and five-star hotels, on the concierge floors. Captains are treated as vice presidents of the organization."

Compensation for the foreign gigs varies widely. But it is often better than what U.S. pilots can earn at home, where pay levels and benefits have been reduced by bankruptcy filings and restructurings. Richard Paul, an 18-year US Airways veteran who was bumped from captain to first officer during one round of layoffs, says he plans to quit soon and report for training to fly cargo at a large Asian carrier he declines to identify. The 46-year-old pilot says he will start as a first officer, but "in four or five years, I'll probably be a captain on a 747 and make twice as much" as the $72,000 a year he currently earns.

Paints quite a different picture than many posts here about M.E. gigs.

Comments?

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it.

Daysleeper
5th May 2006, 13:05
He's home more than he ever was at US Airways

Only not the same home, so not home at all really, just a temporary life change to a very alien culture.

Schnowzer
5th May 2006, 13:27
No Brian is happy, that is why he has been part of the US recruitment effort for Emirates. He has been here nearly 2 years so from his perspective things have looked up. As to 'being treated like Vice Presidents', that is absolute tripe!

OzExpat
5th May 2006, 14:20
It's certainly true to say that expats aren't universally loved and also that pay and conditions can vary markedly from country to country. There are 3 other things that are also true :-

1. The P+C are definitely better for a pilot in another country than in the home country.
2. There's a lot of pilots who never fit in and, consequently, never find the success that others achieve.
3. The concept of "home" is different for the successful expat.

I believe that, for the most part, it boils down to what you want from life, where you are prepared to go to achieve that goal - and how much respect (or disrespect) you are prepared to contend with. It isn't all "beer and skittles" and there are adjustments that need to be made in your life, to fit in with the local ways and customs, but the lifestyle is generally far better than in the home country.

The Trappist
5th May 2006, 19:49
Never read such a load of bovine guano ever!

Get real! Get a life!

Capt Murray has to be the figment of somebody's suspect imagination!

yardman
5th May 2006, 20:08
My mother always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, you should say nothing at all. However, I'm going to vomit if I hold it in any longer. That guy Murray is the biggest a$$ kisser I've had the misfortune to come across in my time at Emirates. The Americans at EK are generally exellent guys, but there's always one bad apple.... "treated like VPs"? I guess that says it all. I think he dreams about being one nightly.
The Yardman
PS. Happily the nausea has subsided:ok:

Keith Discovering
5th May 2006, 21:00
I couldn't find a smiley that showed hysterics. This guy has to live with this comment for the rest of his tenure in EK.!

I can't wait to meet him :E

typhoonpilot
5th May 2006, 21:10
You guys are being a bit harsh. The comment was meant in the context of how pilots are treated by their employers in the States versus how they are treated while working overseas and/or at EK. It may be a surprise to some of you but, it is far better at EK than it is at most of the failing U.S. carriers.

TP

Payscale
6th May 2006, 08:07
Capt. Murray is actually a very nice gentleman.

CargoMatatu
6th May 2006, 09:20
the context of how pilots are treated by their employers in the States versus how they are treated while working overseas and/or at EK. It may be a surprise to some of you but, it is far better at EK than it is at most of the failing U.S. carriers.
TP
Absolutely! In fact, most U.S. Carriers in general - never mind failing!
It all depends on what you've been used/subjected to previously.

tournesol
6th May 2006, 09:54
Come on guys,
Capt Murry is entitled to his opinion. if he thinks he is well treated, that how he sees it. how come we have to put up with a lot moaning and complaining in this forum, with a lot of guys who fly for a particular airline in Dubai. then again that is how they perceived they are treated. it is also funny most of the moaners are from one big island and they are the ones staying put in Dubai.
i am glad for capt Murry who is content where he is and i feel sorry for moaners who are obviously miserable but chose to do nothing about it. they are the ones who should get a life, not capt Murry.:ok:

Dream Land
6th May 2006, 09:57
CargoMatatu, well said, it's all about perspective, most of the crews I know from US Air have been through the mill, downgraded, furloughed, pensions stolen, merged, etc. I receive a completely different picture from my friends at Emirates and Qatar, I wouldn't visit there, let alone live there. :rolleyes:

Desert Cat
6th May 2006, 11:04
To each his own!

Perspective is different from one person to the next. It is always easy to judge someone without having walked a mile in his shoes. Home is what you make it! You can be in paradise or hell depending on your outlook / perspective on life and things...

I agree with u tournesol. If your not happy about your life, you're the only one who can do something about it...

People that are happy, don't generally complain about it! They might be part of a "silent majority"...