PDA

View Full Version : SAA Assesments

TheRed(lfc)Baron
4th May 2006, 18:24
Guy's

Anyone got any information about the assesments done by SAA, i know they use the FNPT2 - but what they normally make you fly and any info on the written exams they have would be really appreciated
many thanks
Red

low n' slow
5th May 2006, 08:35
Assessments for what? FI?
/LnS

TheRed(lfc)Baron
6th May 2006, 13:22
I believe they conduct assesments on behalf of airlines

low n' slow
8th May 2006, 14:13
I've done all my training with SAA and I've never heard of this, although I don't doubt it for one second.
If I am to speculate on what you would be flying in such an assessment, I would suggest you look at the ESOW approaches both NDB and ILS. No DME available in any of the procedures (although there is one co-located with Aros VOR). Also look at Eskilstuna Kjula procedures (ESSU), basic ILS/DME. And of course single engine operations. School procedure is:

"Engine Failure!!!"
Full power
Gear up
Flaps Up
Identify, Verify - dead throttle idle, dead prop feather, dead mixture ICO.
Red, Yellow and White Checklists.

For some reason they tend to favour these procedures in whatever they do. Check the different timings on the NDB approaches and be aware of what rules you are flying under. If you fly according to the Swedish (BCL) national rules, you are required to subtract 30 seconds of the timing to MDA/MDH to get your DP if the MDA is below 500 feet and 45 seconds if above 500 feet. Also dont forget to correct minima for single pilot operation with 50 feet.
This is how we used to fly NDB's and I believe this is how they would like to see someone under assessment fly it aswell. The FNPT II they use is nice in most aspects, the only problem is that it's rediculously sensitive in pitch and it's impossible to land properly. Just keep it in mind before you get airborne and be prepared to monitor the pitch closely.

/LnS

TheRed(lfc)Baron
8th May 2006, 20:02
Lownslow,
thanks for the info I'll take a look at the plates

cheers
red