PDA

View Full Version : My Travel/Alteon Training A320

snake80
2nd Feb 2006, 20:07
Any person know if they provide JAA type rating on B737-200?
Any email contact for them?
Any other TRTO for JAA type rating on B737-200? parc aviation, sabena flight academy....and.....

Thanks for your help!!!!

bafanguy
2nd Feb 2006, 21:36
Go to www.flightinfo.com and PM midnightmike for an answer about Alteon.

planeshipcar
4th May 2006, 11:36
Hi Guys,

I've been spending a few hours looking throgh the net and found the Alteon First Officer program inconjunction with My Travel. It is a very expensive course, however seems to offer a chance in to the airline once successfully completed.

I'm weary to start another thread on SSTRs or not. And that's not what I want this thread to be about exactly. I want this to be specifically about how pilots have been treated applying to this scheme, the course, getting a job and the pay. Oh and feel free for anyone to express their thoughts on the very high price - but please keep to this specifically about Alteon/My Travel.

I do realise someone tried a thread ages ago, but it didn't seem to kick off.

Cheers

Planey

BIGBAD
4th May 2006, 11:37
Could you post a link so we can see the details and thus comment

ta

planeshipcar
4th May 2006, 11:55
alteon.sigmaraviation.com/alteon0.0html

potkettleblack
4th May 2006, 14:37
http://alteon.sigmaraviation.com/assessmentdates.0.html

Looks very expensive for what you get. Assuming you successfully complete the course and get an offer with Mytravel you then have to pay all of your living costs at home base over the summer - however long that lasts (3-6 months is my guess). In return you get 40 hours a month which isn't really a lot considering that they might decide at the end of the summer that they don't need to employ you. Most airlines minimum hours are 500 when you hold a type rating so you would be well short of this and might find it hard to move to another employer.

If you are hankering for an SSTR then I would say there are much cheaper options around with TRTO's that have proven track records of getting you an introduction into an airline that will employ you on a proper contract from Day 1. This stands for both TP and jet ratings.

teis
4th May 2006, 14:51
Who is going to pay that amount!!! 44500 pounds!!

They must be ******* :mad: Joking!!

I wish companies like this would go bust tomorrow! :ok:

Superpilot
4th May 2006, 14:54
Did you try RyanAir?

planeshipcar
4th May 2006, 15:03
makes ryanair look too good? I still can't get over the price. Astraeus doesn't come too far over £30,000, but this is 45K?!

Is a course like this meant for the not so hot candidate who is really stuck for getting a job hence pay a :mad: load.

I'm not overly against having to pay, but it's scary if the prices start to rise like this!

Oh well, sorry all for fueling this even more!

planey

potkettleblack
4th May 2006, 15:22
£45k plus of course the "opportunity cost" of lost earnings that you might have gotten working for an airline that would pay a proper wage, plus your living expenses whilst doing the type rating and then flying for free. Shall we call it £65k to put a fair price on it? Makes a £15k ATR rating seem a drop in the ocean doesn't it.

MrMutra
4th May 2006, 15:27
teis,

I guess there not joking, or they wouldnt be charging this price, so there must be someone paying it.

It's a scary amount of money to spend, but i guess Mytravel and Alteon think it is resonable. Remember they are running a training course and charge what they think is the appropriate market price. Its up to pilots to decide whether or not its for them.

And at that price :eek: , wonder how many pilots will take them up on it ?

MrM

Sky Wave
4th May 2006, 17:41
Have you tried CTC?

My Travel is one of their partner airlines although you are more likely to end up woth Easyjet.

SW

MrHorgy
4th May 2006, 18:23
Although they mention MyTravel on the webpage, it's a Sigmar program, MyTravel doesn't "scheme" to rob people as well, they just participate by taking the FO's.

Horgy

jamesiek
5th May 2006, 09:54
I can't actually believe what i have just read on that link.

You pay a company to work for them!!:confused:
Mind you, ya gotta compliment the business brains behind this!

Anyway thats mental and is a sorry reflection on the industry.

BIGBAD
5th May 2006, 17:26
You pay them all that and they don't have to employ you !! Maybe this is MyTravels idea to make money after all they don't make money anyother way !!

Who is going to apply to this company that has been on the brink of collapse for several years !!!!!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

MrHorgy
5th May 2006, 18:00
You pay them all that and they don't have to employ you !! Maybe this is MyTravels idea to make money after all they don't make money anyother way !!
Who is going to apply to this company that has been on the brink of collapse for several years !!!!!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. The money is not paid to MyTravel, they don't run the course, it is Sigmar Aviation. Therefore it's not their idea of "making money"

As for who would apply, i'd give me left arm (can't have the right, need that for the sidestick ;)) to work for MYT, have you looked at their salary recently?

Any anger about this program - and yes I have some too - should be directed at Sigmar/Alteon.

Horgy

BIGBAD
5th May 2006, 18:27
I think you'll find that it does not cost anything near the quoted cost thus profit is made - and if MyTravels name is attached they ain't doing it to help low houred guys get a job :\ :\

they just participate by taking the FO's

Plus flying around on line training, which you PAY FOR :{ equals a free bum on seat and thus saves MyTravel an FO's salary !!!!:ugh: :ugh:
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

A320rider
5th May 2006, 20:25
even a moron like me , got interviews:} .

please, stop to spend money.If I can do it, you can do it.
just apply until a company call you.

scameron77
5th May 2006, 21:26
There is taking the piss and there is really taking the piss, can you guess which one I feel this 'scheme' falls into?

I'm guessing this was dreamt up over a copious amount of wine business lunch attended my top executives from both companies. Hey, for all we know maybe it was this lot who racked up that 44k bill at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant.

However no doubt someone out there is giving this serious consideration. God forbid.

Penworth
6th May 2006, 13:59
This isn't a new scheme, its been running for quite a few months, so obviously there have been people taking Sigmar up on their "offer". From the MYT pilots I spoke to though they weren't overly impressed with the calibre of FO being provided to them.

From MYT's point of you, you can't blame them from taking advantage of the situation to get some free FO's for the busy summer season - its not their responsibility to help low houred pilots to get jobs. Like the airlines who take CTC cadets for 6 months, they are just taking advantage of the fact people are prepared to work for free - or in this case pay to work.

Its a terrible situation that schemes like this exist, but there is no use blaming airlines or TRTO's or whoever for taking advantage of it - the only people to blame are those prepared to keep throwing money at aviation until they get a job.

PW

haughtney1
6th May 2006, 15:31
All your going to do is hand a nice fat wedge of cash to Sigmar..and improve their bottom-line. Nice work if you can get it, I might even see if I can find a few muppets with more money than sense..hmmm haughtey aviation:}

Longchop
7th May 2006, 17:13
Holy mother of Mary......that has just made my eyes bleed!:ugh:

Thats a damn disgrace!:yuk:

I always said paying for TR's is bad but this is just beyond all comprehension!but I wonder if anyone would actually admit to having been through this course?:yuk:

A340rider
7th May 2006, 18:59
I think soon we will have to supply our own plane...maybe I can buy a second hand 707 for cheap money on Ebay!!

Longchop
7th May 2006, 21:19
The more people bend over and take it royal from behind then we might aswell buy our own plane, fuel and self handle!

This is just terrible!:{

boogie-nicey
15th Jun 2006, 10:35
Yet to think they probbaly have seriously interested 'parties' already for this scheme. Goodness knows where all this money is coming from?

tudeski2004
16th Jun 2006, 20:28
Haughty,

Well I have a couple of hundred pounds in my piggy bank, A lap top, a joy stick and a copy of Flight Simualtor. Type ratings with that could be possible...:ok:

SinBin
24th Nov 2006, 10:04
I have an assessment for this scheme coming up, £32K TR + 150 hours line training with My Travel. Has anyone had any experience of this scheme?

And yes I know I must be mad, but can I at least have some constructive comments, not "don't pay for a type rating" or alike!

Ta

portsharbourflyer
24th Nov 2006, 15:29
32000, you may want to re-read the literature, I am sure the scheme was priced closer to 36000 from the details I received (only enquired out of curiousity, it isn't a scheme I would consider).

I am not necessarily against paying for a type rating, but there are far better sstr schemes around than this one.

lovejoy
24th Nov 2006, 16:55
I make it 32350 quid. But I assume if you are low hour then you do the bridge course rather than the joc course.
Still a shocker no matter which way you look at it....

portsharbourflyer
24th Nov 2006, 17:15
Apologies everyone, My mistake you do either the JOC or the Bridging course depending on your experience level(thanks for pointing that out LJ), I had just added up the price of everything on the list. Guess I should take my own advice and read the literature properly.

I suppose if your earning over 40000 a year at present then becoming a full time flying instructor earning 7 to 10000 a year would be a comparable pay cut to the price of the rating. So it isn't surprising some people will consider the sstr route.

SinBin
10th Apr 2007, 15:11
Yes, went for selection, passed, no straight answers about employment, in other words, no employment, basically they get rid of you after the summer season, if you're lucky enough to be kept on after the 150 hours with MYT, and the £32K, well there's your answer. I eventually saw sense and thank god, have a jet job lined up at Heathrow, and I don't have to pay a bean for training, they pay me. Patience won the day, in my view, there's too many unanswered questions, and Alteon's salesperson, has little idea of what she's talking about!! Don't pay for line training, there's no point.

The only advantage I saw was the interview practice. BEWARE shiny offers. Walk away whilst you still can.

MrHorgy
11th Apr 2007, 09:14
Someone went to Oxford and still had £35,000 kicking around for this scheme? Do you do loans? :E

Horgy

SinBin
11th Apr 2007, 14:32
Egelsbach, if that remark was aimed at me, where the hell do you get the idea that I'm whinging? I'm telling you how it is. You're telling us then you'd be happy to pay to work given the choice? Also you're gambling £32K for a job, on the off chance you might be lucky? That's nuts!! Who the hell has that sort of money just lying in the bank?

Let me tell you how it is. I was all booked on this scheme, I felt i had no choice. It gave me sleepless nights, worrying about being fleeced and always being in debt. But guess what, I was, out of the blue, offered an interview and then offered a job with a LHR major, and they pay ME for the TR and a job. Paying for a TR is one thing, and semi acceptable these days, paying to work is nuts and undermines everything. Not a whinge, its a fact! Patience won the day!

You are right it is a scheme, but when the sales rep has nothing plausible to say and avoids questions like a government whip, it's crazy.

Good luck with your payment BTW of c.£120,000 (if indeed you're OAT) and a lifetime of debt. In total I've spent a quarter of that, and guess what, I'm buying a big new house with my fat new salary!!

If you're going on one of these shemes, go with CTC or GECAT who do help get you a permy job at the end. I was told by Alteon that they give no assistance in placing people. Yeah cheers! have my £32 Grand:rolleyes:

Keep the faith people, if I can do it anyone can!!

SinBin
13th Apr 2007, 10:37
10,000 posts? I think I'm still in the 100s. Haven't you Oxford people got anything more interesting to talk about!:rolleyes: I think you may have me confused with someone else. I've only been pruning for a year.

Not that I'm complaining, I do like being the centre of attention as my wife will vouch!

potkettleblack
20th Apr 2007, 16:54
In todays market it is really a bad deal. If you did feel the need to pay someone to train you then you could go to GECAT and possibly be online for someone like BMI who is going to pay you a full salary from day 1 and offer a permanent contract, not one that could expire after the summer.