PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to....

MightyGem
4th May 2006, 09:34
the thread about Lynx XZ208??

TyroPicard
4th May 2006, 09:44
The Everley Brothers??

4th May 2006, 18:42
the thread about Lynx XZ208??
My thoughts as well. Just as I was about to throw my two-penneth in.

Talk Wrench
4th May 2006, 21:51
What happened to ZG475?

Zoom
4th May 2006, 21:57
....and XV501? Well I happen to know that some prat crashed it. It was the best of the bunch. It didn't matter which engines it had or what parts of how many sets of electronics it was fitted with, it was always the best. It flew fast and true, like an arrow - until that prat got hold of it.

(OK, it might not have been his fault, but that's not the point.)

Talk Wrench
5th May 2006, 05:53
Zoom,

I thought 501 was ZG as well.

BUT, she was a most beautiful piece of kit was she not?

Talk Wrench

teeteringhead
5th May 2006, 07:34
XV 501 was a Phantom IIRC ......

...that would explain the crash if they let the Hairy Arm Corps fly her ... :E :ok:

MightyGem
5th May 2006, 19:27
My thoughts as well. Just as I was about to throw my two-penneth in.
Yes, so was I.
Sod it, I will anyway...
Ahh, the demise of an old friend. I first flew 208 with Chris(the lanky trucker) Morley on a NiFly trip in Detmold in April 1989, after it had arrived as one of the first Lx Mk7s to 654 Sqn. She was mine for the famous Sqn photo of the first sqn of Mk7s(all airborne, and serviceible, at the same time!!).
She later became my trusty war chariot in GW1, when I had Stu Donnan( :( ) as my pilot. If I remember correctly, she never went U/S on me, and my last flight was to take her from Al Jubail down to Dahran for loading back to the UK.
I last saw her in 659's hanger back in Detmold, after our return, looking slighty worse for wear in her desert colours, still full of mixture of Saudi, Iraqi and Kuwaiti sand.
RIP 208.

The RAF aren't the only ones who can wax lyrical about aircraft.

7th May 2006, 10:39
If I remember correctly, she never went U/S on me ...

Methinks that one is wearing those rose-tinted spectacles again. A Lynx that never went u/s? Come on! :hmm:

MightyGem
8th May 2006, 06:58
My specs aren't that rose tinted. Only while we were in the Gulf.

Zoom
11th May 2006, 22:53
teeteringhead
Well spotted, and the best of a great bunch. An FGR2 to be precise, with many good years in RAFG under her belt before ending up in Sleepy Hollow.

meadowbank
12th May 2006, 16:58
XV501 was, indeed, a Phantom FGR2. I remember flying it on 23 Sqn at RAF Wattisham in 1981/82 when it was still painted in the old mud-moving dark green/dark grey camouflage. The record shows that the crew ejected from it over France on 2 Aug 88, following a technical problem (can't remember the exact circumstances). The pilot is now a Captain with a UK airline.

Sloppy Link
12th May 2006, 19:25
XZ 208 appears in my log book at 4 Regt around the same time as others have said (659 Sqn) and then appears again a few years later in Dishforth (656 Sqn) including a Bos tour. I am afraid I not sentimental enough to recall airframes with a tear in my eye but looking at the names of the individuals I flew with, that bought back some memories.