4th May 2006, 08:39
TAF YGDS 040800Z 0808 13010KT CAVOK
FM 09 PROB30 IRATE BAR ATTENDANT ON DUTY
FM 09 SERVICE CRAP
T 14 13 12 38 Q 1017 1016 1016 1043

METAR YGDS 040800Z AUTO 15008KT //// // ////// 12/05 Q1016
RMK RUDE BAR ATTENDANT AT HOTEL WINDSHEAR IN VICINITY

Ok, and now for the layman version.

For those who are likely to or are planning to visit Gregory Downs (YGDS) anytime soon, you may wish to take note.

I had the pleasure of spending some time there today on a day charter. Ventured into the local hotel at about 9.30ish, bought a coffee and a chocolate bar, sat down to do some ATPL study whilst listening to the tv. I was informed not long after in a very stern tone by a rather scraggly, disgruntled and generally swamp-rat appearing type woman, with a grease spotted apron on that I couldn't sit there. "Yer can't sit here boy, this ain't a friggin' library!"

Me thinks; "Oh, right. Thanks. The surrounding stools, fridges, beer taps and ashtrays and such led me to believe it was. NOT"

So, in as civilised tone I could muster, despite the surprise, I acknowledged, and asked "May I sit here if I buy another coffee, perhaps?"

"This isn't a cafe!" came the hoarse response.

Right. So I made my way outside into the wind and ambient tones of the surrounding earthmovers to continue.

There's more to this story, but very long winded, so in short, pack an extra coat of skin if you head out there and extend your temper as much as you can. Also, don't be wearing a uniform, or any clothing that depicts a company name in order for you to respond anonymously in an equally service minded manner once confronted. Trust me, you'll smell her before you see her. Ugh.

P.S. by the way, another minor detail, the strip itself is still a bit boggy in patches since it reopened after the rain. :ok:

chimbu warrior
4th May 2006, 09:53
About 9 years since I was last there.........for an overnight (not recommended). Is it the main strip (west of the river) that is boggy, or the shorter (but far more convenient one about 100m from the pub?

Continental-520
7th May 2006, 11:52
The one west of the river.