PDA

View Full Version : Goldfields Air Services

cap71n
4th May 2006, 08:38
Hi.
Can any past/present members of the Goldfields team tell me what they are like to work for? Any good/bad stories would be appreciated, PM if you'd prefer.
Cheers,
71n.

EffJay
4th May 2006, 17:05
I'd never bad-mouth Goldfields Air Services but as an aside I will relate a few tales about a company I know of that sells gas out that way:

Jezuzz where do I start.......

-One senior member of the team is psychotic ("Aaaaghhh... that'll keep you off the streets!!" :hmm: ) and enjoys platting sh!t.

-One is lazy, in********t, and holds the national record for CPL exam sittings.

-One of the above-mentioned will over-load that 210 for your next-morning's freight run, with the heavy stuff at the back.

-Don't ever write anything in the maint release.

-Observe one aviator take off in an IFR C310 and report the cloud base at 1000ft, as instructed to by the boss. Then watch as entire fleet of VFR 210s burst into life seconds later as the IFR C310 vanishes into the goop about 5 seconds after lifting off. C210s taxi out bravely for their VFR flight at "500AGL."

-C210 with dicky venturi-sourced A/H being used on moonless night for the boss's patented "Special VFR" flight WTF??????? :confused: (or was it "Special IFR??? I can't remember). Really fun waiting for the A/H gyro to build up enough speed to be worth a pinch of snot, as you head into the blackness west of town.

-Weather abort? Don't bother coming back.

-A Chief Pilot with a chip on his shoulder but no spine in his back-bone area. Would never do anything about the over-loading or duty hours. At least, that was the case way back when. Dunno who's the CP now but thought I'd throw it in while I'm on a roll.

-Duty Limitations? When convenient.

-Auto-pilots. Well they at least had the switch-panel installed so it looked good.

Ahhh.... what memories. But as the psycho says, "It's all character-building stuff...."

Good place to build up your hours if you don't mind some really good quality GA experiences or if you play hockey.

bushy
6th May 2006, 05:26
Oh poor bugger me.

Mummeee

Private Patjarr
6th May 2006, 13:57
Ahhh the good old GAS days...

Taking Guarana tablets...
Peeing in the cordial bottles (I didnt anyway)...
Drinking with old Jack at the hospital...
Watching hail come down at Warbo in the middle of summer...
Learning about a famous SANFL football team...
and who could forget Glenda the exam invigilator!

We certainly worked hard, but It did pay off.

Moohoohoooooooaaaaaahhhhhh

Fred Gassit
6th May 2006, 22:29
Hey man, I told you before, I threw that cordial bottle out after that trip.

Private Patjarr
6th May 2006, 23:58
A plan to use a lined esky on a Halls Creek trip in ALY comes to mind...

the wizard of auz
7th May 2006, 01:22
A large gatoraid bottle is perfect for that sort of use. Large neck to reduce the possibility of missing and a volume that leaves a bit of room at the end of the operation.and a screw cap to secure the contents on completion of the operation. I never plan on chasing sheep for extended periods, without one in the plane. :}

Fred Gassit
7th May 2006, 02:08
Im hearing you dude, been there filled that too.

Private Patjarr
7th May 2006, 02:49
What days! Waving to the C210's from Paddy's as they departed at 4am for the Bronx and hearing the Moohoohoooooooaaaahhhhhhh screamed from the storm window as she past.

And then go back into the bar and order a bourbon and Nig@...

MoohoooohHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHooooaaaahhhhhhhhh

EffJay
7th May 2006, 03:58
Not too sure about the "moooooooowwoooooooarrrrrhhhh" but as far as I recall, the 210s never had any storm windows on them.

Leaving the prop is full-fine for a while during T/O worked a treat, especially takeing off on old RW 01 or whatever it was, to the north. Straight past the boss's place at oh-dark-hundred.... He always pretended it never bothered him...:{

Glenda is the reason I made it into SCPL and the airlines...

Winky Dink
7th May 2006, 04:40
[quote=EffJay]Not too sure about the "moooooooowwoooooooarrrrrhhhh" but as far as I recall, the 210s never had any storm windows on them.

You're right, been a long time!!!