PDA

View Full Version : Merimbula-Man leaps from plane set for take off

Roger Roger
4th May 2006, 05:30
Just saw this on the SMH web site.

Somewhat interesting i think.

A man opened the door of a plane and jumped out as it prepared for take-off at a South Coast airport this morning.

The 33-year-old man, who is believed to be American, jumped out while the Regional Express plane's engines were running at Merimbula Airport.

The plane, which was stationary, had been readying for a flight to Melbourne about 11am.

The SAAB 340's doors had been closed and locked for take-off when the man sprang from his seat and demanded to be let off, police said.

A crew member was believed to have told the man he was unable to get off, but he then opened the plane's door and jumped out, police said.

"The man jumped out of plane and onto the tarmac,'' a police spokeswoman said.

"The pilot, seeing the man on the ground, instigated emergency procedures to shut the engine down.

"The airport staff held the man until police and ambulance arrived.

"The man, believed to be an American citizen, was taken to Pambula hospital for assessment.

"No crew members or passengers were harmed and there was no damage to the plane.''

Police believe someone from the plane restrained the man after he ran onto the tarmac.

The man was in custody pending further investigations, police said.

An ambulance was called to Merimbula airport about 11am, but the man had not been injured and no treatment was required, a spokesman said.

Comment was being sought from Regional Express.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/man-leaps-from-plane-set-for-take-off/2006/05/04/1146335852028.html

Milt
4th May 2006, 05:55
Too bad he didn't do it after take off!!

Then we Aussies could have given him a right royal send off as we have taken to doing lately!!

Triple 7
4th May 2006, 06:06
i wonder which door he used..... the entry to board the Saab 340 is next to the prop lucky for him it wasn't moving or he'd been mince meat

hoss
4th May 2006, 06:22
probably one of those 'jackass' stunts, look forward to seeing it in the next movie;) .

Ralph the Bong
4th May 2006, 06:38
Very interesting post.

It makes me wonder what's happening in the Australian industry these days when I hear stories like this. It would be instructive to know which crew member said that the passenger was 'unable to get off'. Was it flight or cabin crew? What information and training are those in regional GA given these days? Bizarre...:hmm:

The only correct response in a senario like this is that the aeroplane returns to the terminal and the passenger and his bags are let off. You simply wear the delay and get on with it. Why take a problem into the air?

Mate the possible legal consequenses that the crew and company could now face do not bear contemplation.

RYAN TCAD
4th May 2006, 08:53
He obviously thought the service stank!

HAMO
4th May 2006, 10:14
http://www.rex.com.au/corp_info/ShowNews.aspx?nid=70

G Cantstandya
4th May 2006, 10:40
Bong or Bong Head, whatever you call yourself!

I think you need to get the facts before throwing any stones my friend.!!!

After speaking with the crew personally after the incident, the fact was that the person involved lept from his seat after the Cpt had started the left engine, pushed the FA out of the way and opened the door himself!!!

For you to say that the training the REX pilots receive for an incident like this could have led to this situation is quite ignorant.

I know for a fact that the company would never encourage or allow the crew to T/O with a passenger who is clearly distressed.

I'm sure there is more to come!!!!!

Ralph the Bong
4th May 2006, 12:06
Geyecarloscastenenda, "The facts are??" ... What??

Funny how what you cite the crew as saying differs markedly from what was quoted in the newspaper. I note that the SMH say the Police claim that the man demended to be let off the aircraft. It is also alleged that he was told that he could not get off. That the man opened the door himself is not in question! What is in question is if he expressed a wish to be let off and if this request was denied.

Interestingly, witnesses are being sought in this incident (according to the SMH) and I would have more faith in their account than in what the crew have to say.

If a pax asks to be taken off a flight the crew is compelled to oblige. Failing to do so is a criminal offence.

Even heard of kidnapping? How about false inprisonment? Assault? These are the offences that a crew would face if a passenger is taken for a "ride" against their will.

Led Zep
4th May 2006, 13:31
If a pax asks to be taken off a flight the crew is compelled to oblige. Failing to do so is a criminal offence.

Even heard of kidnapping? How about false inprisonment? Assault? These are the offences that a crew would face if a passenger is taken for a "ride" against their will.

Are you able to cite reference?

5miles
4th May 2006, 14:05
Someone's been inhaling their pseudonym :}

MarkD
4th May 2006, 14:23
It depends on your point of view - the aircraft was off stand but on the ground. To a passenger that means the flight hasn't begun yet but to the crew it pretty much has. Maybe part of the safety brief should include details of the relevant Air legislation for the operator's country specifying the legal requirement for the crew to operate the aircraft safely and for the passengers to co-operate accordingly so we don't get this "KIDNAPPING!" stuff every time some nutbar tries to "escape".

Capn Bloggs
4th May 2006, 14:32
part of the safety brief should include details of the relevant Air legislation for the operator's country
Maybe not the safety brief but I as part of the crew would sure like to know WHAT the rules are relating to this. I think Bong's got a point, regardless of what he's smoking.

Buster Hyman
4th May 2006, 22:25
He almost did a Jack Newton did he?

Deejay 1
4th May 2006, 23:59
Usually its the other way round, with late pax arriving with the plane on the tarmac demanding to get on as it hasnt left yet, even with the props spinning.

Happened to Emu at KGC 12 months ago as well as Kendell in Port Lincoln.

Amazing considering that the "security fences" are all in place at these ports.

Still isn't the first nor will it be the last methinks

G Cantstandya
5th May 2006, 00:34
Bong Boy
Do you really believe everything you read in the SMH?
You do yourself no justice!!

Utradar
5th May 2006, 07:58
Left engine, right engine, who knows which engine was started first. Rex says the right, G Cantstandya says the left, SMH says both. I'd have to say it'b hard to trust the SMH to get the story 100% correct.

The crew may be compelled to oblige letting someone off the aircraft and maybe they were going to but they also have a duty of care to keep passengers safe including the guy wanting to exit. If both engines were running, which sound like they wern't, he could have been mince meat.

Sounds like the guy was in too much of a hurry to get off and interpretation could have been confused with, you can't get off right now! Only the crew knows exactly what happened? So I think duty of care over all passengers rather than kidnapping would be legally acceptable. Maybe?

flyby
6th May 2006, 00:06
I believe that ralph seems to be batting for another team, his misguided belief that rex is "regional GA " can only be attributed to his ignorance of who rex are and that is a capable and professional airline.I can only from expeirence testify to rex's crew level of professionalism and training.To make broad generalisations of the incident, especially being based on "the medias" account ,is foolhardy at its best.ME thinks that a mentally unstable person is far from reason, even if they are mentally stable but have a deep seated fear their actions when motivated by said fear can see their actions become irrational and or dangerous to themselves and people around them.I have also personally seen this when travelling as a passenger when someone became irrational during flight and believe me that person was far from being able to reason clearly. Again the crew's responsibility's are directly linked to the distressed passenger AND the other passengers safety who could also enter harms way due to said passengers actions.

assymetric
6th May 2006, 00:37
Bong Boy
Do you really believe everything you read in the SMH?
You do yourself no justice!!
You beat me to it G Cantstandya
If it was in the SMH it must be right.
NOT:} :} :}

Over and gout
6th May 2006, 03:37
The SAAB 340's doors had been closed and locked for take-off when the man sprang from his seat and demanded to be let off, police said.
]

There must have been a QANTAS hostie filling in on REX for the day....:p

drshmoo
7th May 2006, 04:39
Rex should put that guy on a nuissance list and not let him fly again. Is there a troublesome passenger list that airlines have and if they do, it should be shared throughout the industry. Idiots like this put their own life in danger and possibly the life of the biscuit chucker, not to mention the potential cost of destroying a part of the aircraft and all the negative publicity that goes with the territory.

I dont fly for REX (nor want to at the moment) but have nothing but admiration for their proffessionalism as a peer and sometimes passenger.

Sunfish
7th May 2006, 06:40
There has been an international "No Fly" list since at least the mid 70's. My guess is that this guy just made it.

dinoburner
7th May 2006, 07:07
I was on a Swissair flight in the late 80s and watched in horror as a pax started fiddling with the overwing emerg exit handle, in the cruise.

Dad (yes, I was a wee-tacker then) grabbed the guy's hand and pressed the hostie call button. Explained the situ, and all the chap got was a "Please sir, don't touch any part of the emerg exit", and a 'sweet-as-swiss-maid' smile.

How times have changed. :eek:

Shapeshifter
11th May 2006, 04:24
[/URL]

A Few Fines
Bethany Dortmans and Carla Rankine
Wednesday, 10 May 2006
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A man who leapt out of an aeroplane about to depart from the Merimbula Airport last Thursday could face hefty fines from the Civil Aviation Security Authority [CASA].
CASA spokesperson, Peter Gibson, said that the man faced a number of possible offences including failure to have seatbelt fastened [$110], offensive and disorderly behaviour [$550] and failure to comply with direction from crew [$330].

The nature of the fines will depend on police information which CASA had not received at the time of print on Tuesday.

It is unlikely that the man will face any court charges, Mr Gibson said.

The American male passenger, believed to be in his 30s, caused a major security scare when he pushed past a flight attendant, opened the left-side main cabin door and jumped off the Regional Express [Rex] plane.

The Rex flight to Melbourne had been secured and the plane was preparing for take-off when the incident occurred.

While the right engine had been started, the plane was still stationary, and the man was able to jump out of the plane and land on the tarmac.

A passenger who was sitting near the man on the plane described the situation as "very bizarre."

"Everyone was boarded, then the propellers started and everything seemed fine," she said.

"Suddenly this guy just jumped up, leaving his wallet and everything behind, pushed the flight attendant aside, opened the door and jumped out of the plane.

"I guess he just panicked but it was so weird; we were entirely stunned."

Police were called to the scene and the man was detained.

The remaining passengers and luggage were offloaded so police could conduct a security check to ensure the plane was safe to depart.

Merimbula ambulance officers also attended the airport and while the man was uninjured he was later taken to Pambula District Hospital for assessment.

The police have since handed the matter over to CASA.

Mr Gibson said any illnesses or disorders the man had would also have some impact on the action taken by CASA.

This would be determined by the hospital assessment, he said.

The plane, which had been scheduled to leave at 10.50am, eventually departed at 11.45am once it had been secured with 19 passengers aboard.

Rex has clarified that the cabin door could only be opened before pressurisation which occurs when both engines are started up.

Hence such an incident could not have happened while the plane was in the air or taxiing on the runway.

Merimbula airport manager Ian Baker, who later spoke to the man said that there had been nothing suspicious as he had boarded the plane.

"When I briefly spoke to the man afterwards he seemed fine and was quite rational," he said.

"I don't think it could have been prevented because it was just one of those unfortunate spontaneous things that occurred."

Mr Baker agreed that the incident highlighted the need for airport security in regional areas.

"There is no question that we need security here at Merimbula.

"We've come a long way to achieve what we have to far and will continue to work towards even better security."

Mr Baker said he was impressed with how the Rex staff had handled the situation and was pleased to receive positive feedback from other passengers.

"The reaction to the event from staff was excellent," he said.

"In the past 12 months they have gone through a lot of training and it shone through in the way they handled talking to the man and controlling him until police arrived."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url]http://merimbula.yourguide.com.au/home.asp (http://merimbula.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&story_id=479157&category=General%20News&m=5&y=2006)

Just a quick reminder as to what "Ralph the Bong" had to say immediately after the incident, something along the lines of

"It makes me wonder what's happening in the Australian industry these days when I hear stories like this. It would be instructive to know which crew member said that the passenger was 'unable to get off'. Was it flight or cabin crew? What information and training are those in regional GA given these days? Bizarre.."

and

"Interestingly, witnesses are being sought in this incident (according to the SMH) and I would have more faith in their account than in what the crew have to say.

Even heard of kidnapping? How about false inprisonment? Assault? These are the offences that a crew would face if a passenger is taken for a "ride" against their will."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

disco_air
11th May 2006, 04:35
....all very well, but has anyone asked the clown why he jumped off the aircraft in the first place? :confused:

..Disco

Ralph the Bong
12th May 2006, 21:52
Well, it looks as if somebodies[I] buttons have been pushed.:8

[/Thanks Ralph, thought it would be prudent now we have the facts to highlight your ignorant, unfounded, superficial and egotistical diatribe which was obviously based on loose media information and your own inflated, unintelligent and now quite obviously unimportant opinions. Next time stick with what you know and leave the rest to the professionals.

I]

Yeah mate, anyone with half a brain can cut and paste something out of the local rag. Natuarlly, Mr Baker (the Merimbula airport manager, no less) is going to say wonderful things about his staff. What else would he say?

It still remains to be seen, was this passenger told that he could not get off the aeroplane as was alleged in the original SMH article? Nothing that has been printed here contridicts this, so far.

The fact remains, as I originally said, if a passenger says that they want to get off the flight, the crew must allow this.

Mate, get a life..:rolleyes:

sailing
13th May 2006, 12:01
[/quote]
Mr Baker agreed that the incident highlighted the need for airport security in regional areas.

"There is no question that we need security here at Merimbula.

"We've come a long way to achieve what we have to far and will continue to work towards even better security."

[/quote]

Yeah, having this guy go through a 'security' check and confiscating his nail clippers would have instantly cured any phobia of flying that he had prior to check-in. Thank you, Mr Baker. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

tlf
18th May 2006, 10:44
Usually its the other way round, with late pax arriving with the plane on the tarmac demanding to get on as it hasnt left yet, even with the props spinning.

Happened to Emu at KGC 12 months ago as well as Kendell in Port Lincoln.

Amazing considering that the "security fences" are all in place at these ports.

Still isn't the first nor will it be the last methinks

Reminds me of a departure from Pt Augusta one day heading for Adelaide and I was in the middle of the take off when the missing passenger drove her car out to the end of the taxiway hoping to stop me. She got a real close look at a Chieftain wingtip and a meeting with Port Augusta police on the way back to town.

Crossbleed
18th May 2006, 11:33
RTB: Mr Baker doesn't have any employees. Ever been to MER??
He's the Airport manager ie: City council employee, as opposed to base/station manager or whatever equivalent (airline) term applies. Rex has naught to do 'wiv him really.
Mate of mine operated the flight. Apparently the loony made no request at all. Just jumped up and flung the door open.

Ramrod
18th May 2006, 11:43
Isn't Ian an ex-Hazelton pilot who gave up flying 15 years ago and become their ground agent at MER?

Crossbleed
18th May 2006, 12:14
Yes, he is/was.