PDA

View Full Version : BA784

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
3rd May 2006, 14:43
Can anyone confirm if flight BA784 arrived London Airport at 11:15 (I think it was in the morning) sometime in the sixties?

The carrier was BOAC, but I don't know the equipment :8

renfrew
3rd May 2006, 17:03
I have had a look but can't find a BA784 but in that series it would have an outbound flight from LHR heading east.
Where do you think it was coming from?

MReyn24050
3rd May 2006, 18:11
I don't think they used the prefix BA in the 1960s. It may have been BOAC Flight 784 or Flight #784. However neither come up on a Google search.

renfrew
3rd May 2006, 18:40
The BA prefix was originally used by BSAA and BOAC used BO.After the two airlines merged BA became the BOAC prefix around 1950.

Georgeablelovehowindia
3rd May 2006, 22:30
The convention of flight numbering in BOAC was even numbers eastbound and northbound (EveN). Therefore BA784 could have been an LHR-bound flight from Africa ... except it doesn't ring a bell and they tended to begin with 2. BA296, for example, was an ACC - LHR flight, via CIA. The Atlantic flights were 5s - BA501 was the morning LHR - JFK. Eastern flights were 8s and 9s. Hmm ... good game this!

G-ALHI (BOAC 1966 - 1972) :)

D120A
4th May 2006, 14:26
I have the BOAC timetable for June 1st 1964 (don't ask). The BA7XX series seem to be Comet services, from the Far East. There is no BA784 shown, but the 'closest', for what it is worth, is BA789, the Sunday service from Hong Kong (dep 1100) via Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Colombo, Bombay, Bahrain, Istanbul and Rome. Arrival at LHR was at 0805.

Oh, happy days! And thank you to all the aircrew who put up with my boyish questions on their flight decks, and so inspired a career in aviation.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
5th May 2006, 23:38
Thanks everyone. It was supposed to be flight from the US to London - at least is was in Paul Temple and the Margo Mystery, currently serialised on BBC7.

I was wondering how accurate it was.

MReyn24050
6th May 2006, 06:27
I raised the question regarding BOAC Flight BA784 with a guy on EBay who deals in Airline Timetables below is his reply, hope it helps:-

"Hi, I have a BOAC timetable effective July 1, 1968 thru Oct. 26,
1968. They do not have an itinerary listing per flight as some
timetables do, so I had to scan the schedule tables listed (76
pages). Just as I was ready to give up I found a listing for flight
784 which operated from London to Bagdad - Bahrain - Doha -
Delhi on Mondays utilizing a VC10. Hope this helps. Routings
and flight numbers change continually and that particular flight
number may have been used on a different routing at a different
time, and when you are talking about a whole decade (the
1960's), the flight number could have used to anywhere
depending on the specific year and season."

Skylion
6th May 2006, 12:18
BA 7XX series were basically Eastern Routes via Singapore to Australia, including Singapore terminators. The series includes services which terminated beyond the Gulf but west of Singapore ( ie India, Pakisatan, Sri Lanka). The BA 9XX series were also Eastern routes, but the more northerly, -ie those which were headed for Hong Kong , either terminators or beyond ( Tokyo and across the North Pacific in the 60s). The even numbers were all eastbound, westbound were odds.
There were never any trans-Atlantic flights in the 7XX series.