PDA

View Full Version : Q400s to be based in CBR

apacau
3rd May 2006, 07:26
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/au/publicaffairs/details?ArticleID=2006/may06/Q3427

Does this mean Easterns miss out on the Q400 gig and Sunnies get a new base in CBR and a new CBR-SYD sector?

Arsey Eight
3rd May 2006, 07:46
In a word, Yes. Thats what you get when you vote no on an EBA. QF management are rubbing their hands with glee over this. Over Jetstar. Over Mainline & Australian Airlines.

Good luck to the EAA guys & gals. Its a shame that because you guys aren't a threat to mainline pilots & that AIPA (read QF Mainline) don't want to know you, and go into bat for ya's. :mad:

OperationsNormal
4th May 2006, 01:53
Whats the general vibe at sunnies ?

I cant imagine many wanting to leave the sunshine state for Canberra ?!?

virgindriver
4th May 2006, 06:14
I guess if the Sunnies guys voted for it they must be willing to relocate to Canberra- too cold for me....

LUCKY-1
4th May 2006, 08:05
Interesting but puzzling posts lads. I believed that aeroplanes were based where the work was, and us drivers were based where the aeroplanes were based?

badboiblu
4th May 2006, 08:47
Not sure what you mean Virgindriver.."If the sunnies guys voted for it then they must want it" When did they vote for this??
They voted up there EBA, there was never any mention of CB bases in that document.
l think you will find they will be hard pressed finding anymore than one or two current captains wanting to make to move.
Even the senior F/O will be reluctant to move. Guess the newbies will go for it.
But will the company place an F/O with 12 months in the company in charge of there new toy??
Lets place the blam on who made this announcement...management

Chocks Away
4th May 2006, 09:45
I hate to say it, (Jarse and Co) but...could see it coming (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224373)... a mile away, the way m'ment are behaving:

8th February
CentreBet (Alice Springs) has good odds for the last 2 D400s being CBR based and staffed by Sunnies, on Bris, Ade and Melb runs....

Happy Landings and Kepp the Blue up:ok:

Slipri
5th May 2006, 04:06
What do the Eastern pilot group have that they don't want to give up so much? and take what Sunstate are getting. They ARE flying the 400's, and are probably enjoying doing so! If you are where you want to be, Sydney flying 300's and might for the rest of your career if you don't want to give something up and I think this is mostly over the 400's just suck it up! It's aviation, the reality is sometimes you do have to give a little to get a little. Or just agree to merge with Sunstate for the same pay and conditions and be the hell done with it! (as long as you too can fly the 400's of course).:{

Normasars
5th May 2006, 06:06
SLIPRI,

Spoken like a real d1ckhead.

Reminds me of an old saying "let everyone think you're a d1ckhead, but don't open your mouth to proove it".;)

newsensation
5th May 2006, 20:20
7%:hmm: :{ :confused: :mad:

Tofasttofly
16th May 2006, 12:52
Would the Sunnies crews black ban the Canberra base in support of their southern cousins?

newsensation
16th May 2006, 20:41
From a Poll on qrewroom I would have to say no..... It would be nice to think that Eastern and Sunstate Pilots could become one group :ugh:

Nil Ident
17th May 2006, 01:52
Congratulations to all the FO's in Sunnies that have been awarded Q400 Command slots in CBR this week as a result of the recent bids.Two in particular are recent arrivals from Coastwatch with a wealth of experience on type.Best of luck in your new home :ok:

Toluene Diisocyanate
17th May 2006, 02:58
Sunstate pilots cannot "black ban" Canberra base. Slots are firstly issued in seniority order according to bids.
Otherwise,FO's can be sent as new hire to the base.
If not enough pilots bid, then they are ASSIGNED the base in reverse seniority.
Its in the contract so you can't get out of it. You agree to work out of any Sunstate base.:oh:

touchncloth
17th May 2006, 05:44
Nil Ident,
How many Q400's do Coastwatch have and how much experience do these 'recent' ex coastwatch employees have on the 'new type':confused:

Near Miss
17th May 2006, 07:53
Slipri the 400’s were never going to go to Eastern. Has far as I hear CASA has never received the paperwork for Eastern to operate them. Management were just using them as a carrot to entice the pilots to agree to an EBA with a reduction in conditions. :mad:

Oh and another thing, I am sure a lot of Eastern drivers would like the pay and conditions enjoyed by Sunnies pilots. It is more than what they get now.

It is a real shame to see a great company, with excellent people, get the pineapple from upstairs.

Normasars, good call. :D

MarkD
17th May 2006, 11:33
touchncloth - according to this they only operate Q200s.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4303

touchncloth
17th May 2006, 15:31
Thanks Maccie D for the website info. I am happy for all the crew that scored a Q400 command/fo slot from the recent base creation in yscb. I just fail to realise the importence of the experience gained flying 6 hour sectors in a Dash 200 over the pacific. Considering SS have total autonomy over whether they promote a pilot and considering they don't give a f@ck what you have flown b4 I find the comments of Nil Ident stupid :ugh:

Toluene Diisocyanate
17th May 2006, 21:55
Nil Ident was trying to get a bite out of the Eastern Boys but failed:=

vigi-one
17th May 2006, 23:19
Nil Ident

What about the experience of those at both Eastern and Sunstate who were awarded commands and after waiting considerable time for training slots and had considerable time in company had those commands taken away from them.

newsensation
19th May 2006, 12:07
I have been told that 6 SS FO's have Q400 commands in Cb and there are 6 unfilled vacancies in CB for FO's... so much for the experienced Captains wanting to go to CB....:ugh:

hoss
19th May 2006, 12:19
i hope your joking.

:sad:

hoss
20th May 2006, 11:56
well it seems you weren't joking, the memo is floating around in the crewroom and it looks like you were correct. I know a few of the names on there and congratulate BG AW and RA (they know who they are:ok: ).

i'm sure you guys will love every minute of it however the mood in SYD(and probably MEL MQL and ADL) is quite somber to say the least.

morale at an all time low and most are looking for an escape route, hoss:sad:

Toluene Diisocyanate
21st May 2006, 07:33
Judgeing by the quantity of broadcast SMS's desparate for crew to operate flights on there days off, one must wonder how bad morale and it's effect on safety must be.:ugh:
Sick leave (a good indicator of morale) must be skyhigh if they can't get crews in.
A pretty sad indictment of a once great place to work:D Not anymore:(
The Tech Manager and one very senior Check Captain (both top guys) have expended a huge amount of energy (over a year) getting the thing online. Bet their shattered:(
Heard a rumour over 75% are looking to get out Hoss. Not good at all.:suspect:

Slipri
22nd May 2006, 23:28
By the article CW does only operate 200's but who's to say that some of them haven't been oversees and got 400 time? a Dash 8 is a Dash 8 and as for being called a d1ckhead Normasars! Bite me! I got a good reaction from you. I'm just telling you what you needed to hear. I heard a rumour that the heads in QF may be gearing SS to takeover EA, Southern didn't have a choice did they! and SS are towing the line just fine! It is what GD said not too long ago, if one wasn't performing well to flick it. It's you and your mates who have to get out of your low state of morale, YOU need to find a solution soon and make a choice, cause GD probably has a beauty for ya!
The FO slots for the 400 in CBR shouldn't have any problem being filled!
No offence intended to the majority of EA's finest it was a pleasure serving with you in the past!
There are plenty of jobs to go around out there for those who want to go.

newsensation
23rd May 2006, 06:39
It would appear that the SS AOC will be the one that remains when the dust settles, so how do SS propose to integrate the Eastern Pilots?
:rolleyes:

Pimp Daddy
23rd May 2006, 08:06
so how do SS propose to integrate the Eastern Pilots?
:rolleyes:

Guess the Sydney guys will find out first hand what it's like to sit and watch the world (and promotions) go by like the Mel guys did.

b55
24th May 2006, 03:55
Grist or gristle for the rumour mill;
-400's a/c 8 and 9 going to CB in the new year for CB-MEL.
No amalgamation for SS and EAA pilots. EAA (syd base) to reduce in size by slow attrition.

DeafStar
24th May 2006, 05:34
..........and 400's 10 and 11 to go to Cairns to take the ailing NJS 717 flights for Gove and Darwin. Also Cairns - Ayres Rock.

Capn Bloggs
24th May 2006, 05:55
Also Cairns - Ayres Rock

In a boat? Ha Ha Ha!

Captain Stoobing
24th May 2006, 09:06
-400's a/c 8 and 9 going to CB in the new year for CB-MEL.
No amalgamation for SS and EAA pilots. EAA (syd base) to reduce in size by slow attrition.
Easterns getting smaller by the day.................:}
Because that is why VH-SCE has gone down south and it looks like VH-SBI is also going too..............These are both Qantaslink SSA machines.
Gee whiz guys........I know it is a rumour network, but lets get a couple of facts in amongst the drivle being produced

Normasars
25th May 2006, 09:00
Slipri,
As I said B4 (Woomera Edit) Mate if the cap fits , wear it buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Being the mental giant that you are, no doubt you have heard of creative accounting before. "Hey lets take one of EAA most lucrative routes and give it to SSA, that'll make 'em look even better and EAA worse."
Where do you get off on saying that EAA aren't performing. The BIG difference between the 2 companies is EAA actually have competition on the majority of their routes unlike SSA. And yet a healthy profit was still made.
Very easy to post a profit when you are the sole provider of services on many of your routes.
And BTW what makes you think I work for EAA, just observations!

Normasars, if you continue getting personal, then it's off to the sin bin for you.

Woomera (Eastern States)

neville_nobody
25th May 2006, 09:38
Cairns - Gove - Darwin in a Dash 8 at night in the middle of the wet season now there's a receipe for fun :}

Near Miss
26th May 2006, 02:53
Better than flying a C210 at night in the middle of the wet! :eek:
Anyway I am sure the -400 will be fine up there. Plenty of smaller a/c do it every day. The wet isn't all that bad. Actually I reckon the worst storms are the frontal ones that hit eastern Oz, especially when combined with the GDR.
Oh as for a/c 8, 9 etc, I thought there was a bit of a waiting list.
And Slipri, a Dash 8 is NOT a Dash 8. As far as I am aware CASA won’t let the same pilots operate 1,2,3 and 400 types.
As for CW. Flying a MPA (ie 200) on looong overwater flights, with 1 T/O & LDG to an hour ratio of about 12hrs (as PF remember), three times a week, is not the same as doing multiple 40-50min sectors for the day.
Either way, when are Sunstate going to change their name to Allstate? :*

Capt Claret
26th May 2006, 03:41
I believe, but stand to be corrected, that the DH8-400 is a differences course and brief period of line training if already DH8 endorsed.

As for the -100, -200 & -300, the one endorsement certainly covered me, and that was with Mr CASA looking on too.

The downdide of using a DH8-400 across the Top End will be the 1500kg to 2000kg of freight, on top of baggage, that regularly goes under the floor of the DRW-GOV service.

Near Miss
26th May 2006, 04:43
Yep a differences course, as was the intention by Bombardier, as with the 300. However as I was let to believe that the pilots at EAA would only be able to fly 1, 2 and 3 or 3 and 4, not all of them, due to CASA. They reckon they are too different to go jumping from one to the other. Well this is what management was saying.

topend3
27th May 2006, 09:14
would there be any truth in the rumour that the 717's aren't working out in the west and there might be moves to replace them with the Q400's on these routes?

Capn Bloggs
27th May 2006, 14:25
Oh topend now come on! The quicker you guys give up the better we'll all be! :} Wait til they put the turbos on the kraut rollers: that'll blow your Fukkers away! :p

Any truth in the rumour that the Skypest F100s don't like WA's atmosphere as one was heard today down at FL200?:eek: :eek:

"Bloggs, back on thread you naughty boy!". :=
Yes sir! :(

dodgybrothers
27th May 2006, 15:19
mmmm, I'm tipping the next news will not be about 717s being replaced but something else disapearing from a port or two. watch this space TE3.

topend3
28th May 2006, 00:40
Bloggs,

You seem to think I am hooked up with Skywest??? I don't know why that would be, I was just asking a question as I had heard a rumour. I take it that is a no!!!

ifylofd
29th May 2006, 14:52
capn bloggs,
last time I had anything to do with an F100 FL200 would have been the latter part of descent.
My mail says that the 717 has had numerous problems with the hot and high in the NT, WA etc etc. (oh did we mention spares?)
not to mention that it wont be long before they're gone from the west coast all-together.
pp'RUMOUR'ne:ugh: :mad: you

apacau
10th Aug 2006, 22:26
All's gone quiet on the Q400 front... When will the CBR base open? It seems not even the schedules are published? Anyone know what's going on?

No Further Requirements
11th Aug 2006, 09:42
I was under the impression, from what I hear in the ATC world, that they have been delayed by at least a month. Don't know where it came from though.

All I can say is....."No more Muffin 1 arrivals!" :* :(

Bigger plane = less flexibility = more track miles to get around noise abatement area.

Cheers,

NFR.

alidad
12th Aug 2006, 01:03
It would be interesting to compare the cost base of doing CB-ML and CB - BN in a 146 vs D400.
IF NJS still had the gig:
Capt base $127K + 210/hour over 75 pcm
F/O $75K + 130/hour over 75 pcm.
BAe146-200 76 seats. Burn to ML ~2000kg, BN ~3300 kg.

Would imagine that the -400 is a lot more efficient (at screwing pilots) and burning less fuel for a similar pax load.

grrowler
12th Aug 2006, 02:16
It seems Sunstate are a little behind in the setting up of the CB base, perhaps biting off a bit too much?

Don't worry, the naughty boys n girls at Eastern will hold the fort so our northern colleagues can have a comfy transition and come out smelling of roses.:suspect:

Pimp Daddy
12th Aug 2006, 03:26
It seems Sunstate are a little behind in the setting up of the CB base, perhaps biting off a bit too much?
Delays out of the factory - no planes yet.

Hardly Sunnies fault - but you just keep thinking that.

Still Lookin'......
19th Aug 2006, 11:37
Anyone got any info on the ML base? Heard a rumour recently that ML base is growing thin due to resignations. Are new recruits likely to go straight to ML?

Hugh Jarse
19th Aug 2006, 12:09
Still Lookin'

Pilots are recruited into whichever bases are short at the time. You can always express a preference, but may not get what you want.

I'm a little out of the loop at the moment, but from what I understand there would currently be vacancies at both bases due attrition.

Good luck.

reptile
31st Aug 2006, 18:58
I've about 4000hrs Dash 8-300 experience and would like to apply at Sunstate, but I'm having trouble finding their website. Any help/suggestions?

missy
31st Aug 2006, 21:24
Understand that the 400 will be in SYD today and start the CB run on Monday 10th Sept.

hoss
1st Sep 2006, 01:38
reptile, try pilotstaffcv.com(i think?). good luck you'll probably be on the Q400 before too long.

:)

reptile
1st Sep 2006, 07:03
Thanx hoss :ok: