PDA

View Full Version : Army Video

MightyGem
2nd May 2006, 22:36
Thought you Rotorheads might like to see this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbzKmP9bUqk)

widgeon
3rd May 2006, 00:31
Great where do I sign up ?.
Cool.

ShyTorque
3rd May 2006, 00:42
Good video! :ok:

I hope they wire recce-ed those valleys first though - otherwise, flying down the middle like that isn't a sound idea.

Nice to see the Pumas in there, but they are RAF, not Army. ;)

paco
3rd May 2006, 00:46
I notice they "borrowed" the "Machen Wir" slogan from Beaver Flight!

Phil

handysnaks
3rd May 2006, 08:47
I notice they "borrowed" the "Machen Wir" slogan from Beaver Flight!

Nope, it's always been on the 669 crest. However, once upon a time 669 was a Beaver Sqn based at Wildenrath:ok:

Staticdroop
3rd May 2006, 15:00
My old squadron... memories...
I take it that was the only serviceable lynx in theatre:}

FLI
3rd May 2006, 18:05
And mine. Anyone remember 'granny W' and Billy G......? Happy days!

RotorSwede
3rd May 2006, 19:03
any chans on downloading the movie? for the helicopter-movie-library ;)

diginagain
3rd May 2006, 20:12
My old squadron... memories...

Mine too. :{

Tempted to show the clip to the young uns on my ATC sqn, but the Boss might not be too chuffed.

fkelly
3rd May 2006, 20:58
About halfway through, immediately before the first night shot, there's a scene where some chap is stood up looking v. pleased at the camera. After a couple of seconds some sprog gets up off his knees below camera shot. Was that the reason for the thumbs up? :ooh:

ReDude
3rd May 2006, 22:28
Boring there is nothingin there that a little robinson helicopter couldnt do but kewl flick and looks like a happy team nice:ok:

ShyTorque
4th May 2006, 22:23
Boring there is nothingin there that a little robinson helicopter couldnt do but kewl flick and looks like a happy team nice:ok:

So a Robinson can cruise at 140 kts and lift 16 troops? :hmm:

ReDude
4th May 2006, 23:49
i was expecting to see the aircraft flow to its max,not flown low down a creek .Try getting some loops,tail slids,wing overs,troops hanging off a sling being deployed.Man i want action action action.lol only haven a digg at you mate no malise intent.:(

maxeemum
5th May 2006, 06:45
Don't know any Lynx helos that can carry 16 troops regardless of what the speedo says. Dreamin!!!!!

Max

:confused:

ascj
5th May 2006, 09:31
So a Robinson can cruise at 140 kts and lift 16 troops? :hmm:

Now that is a question for the Kiwi's on this forum. After watching the r22 video I'm sure there is some one over there, who has either tried it already or will if you ask. :}
As long as the troops can ride on a sling so they can jerk them off a mountain top that is.:\

ShyTorque
5th May 2006, 10:11
Don't know any Lynx helos that can carry 16 troops regardless of what the speedo says. Dreamin!!!!!

Max

:confused:

Check out the first aircraft in the opening shot again - it's a PUMA, not a Lynx. 16 seats, or at least they did have for all of my time flying them from 1979-83, 84-87 and 92-94. ;)

MReyn24050
5th May 2006, 19:04
Nope, it's always been on the 669 crest. However, once upon a time 669 was a Beaver Sqn based at Wildenrath:ok:

Very true, I remember it well. Flew with them a number of times

Helipolarbear
5th May 2006, 20:54
Whats with the Hawk. Did Ya'll borrow it from Mother Rucker, Alabama so as to greatly enhance your performance and improve your looks and possibly be able to carry 16 combat troops?:}

cyclic
5th May 2006, 23:19
:yuk: Yawn....

wg13_dummy
6th May 2006, 01:37
Whats with the Hawk. Did Ya'll borrow it from Mother Rucker, Alabama so as to greatly enhance your performance and improve your looks and possibly be able to carry 16 combat troops?:}

Naaa, it was used as a 'this is a helicopter that has a worse servicability record than the Lynx' comparison.

It was probably lost. :hmm:

wg13_dummy
6th May 2006, 01:39
i was expecting to see the aircraft flow to its max,not flown low down a creek .Try getting some loops,tail slids,wing overs,troops hanging off a sling being deployed.Man i want action action action.lol only haven a digg at you mate no malise intent.:(

You were watching professional aviators, not cowboys. ;)
Any fool can chuck a Lynx about.

6th May 2006, 06:29
They seem to have stripped all the useful warry bits (TOW, GPMG) off the Mk 7 and turned it into a Mk9 soup dragon with skids. Apart from being a small SH machine which can only fit a max of 9 troops (if you're lucky) what exactly is its role now?

maxeemum
6th May 2006, 08:15
Check out the first aircraft in the opening shot again - it's a PUMA, not a Lynx. 16 seats, or at least they did have for all of my time flying them from 1979-83, 84-87 and 92-94. ;)

Ah yes see what you mean. If you pause the video clip you'll see a Puma for about 0.2 of a sec. Now is that the same Puma that as part of its "integral crash survivability" has the nose section bolted on as an after thought. Some interesting crash worthiness there.

Crumple zones = pilots!!!

:hmm:

ShyTorque
6th May 2006, 23:56
Ah yes see what you mean. If you pause the video clip you'll see a Puma for about 0.2 of a sec. Now is that the same Puma that as part of its "integral crash survivability" has the nose section bolted on as an after thought. Some interesting crash worthiness there.

Crumple zones = pilots!!!

:hmm:

0.2 second - really - i'm sure it was longer than that. Glad my old reactions and recognition skills are still good. Actually, the Puma also appears later but you perhaps missed it...

Crashworthiness? Crumple zones? :confused: Best you stay out of military aviation ... The crashworthiness issue worries you? The old Puma's been in service for 35 years now. A bit like saying the Spitfire was no good in 1972... :E