PDA

View Full Version : Air Cargo Advice Request for Engine, Prop and Oils from JHB to KGL

Mr. Steve
2nd May 2006, 17:11
Dear Africa-philes,

I have an engine, prop and oils (3 boxes) at Lanseria in SA that I want to get to Kigali Rwanda.
If anyone has any suggestions on reliable and preferably cheap(!) air freight carriers plying that route I'd be grateful for their advice.

The parts are off my Piper Cherokee PA28-140 that I am overhauling. It survived the events of '94 and is slowly progressing towards completion. The engine, prop and siencer are now overhauled and ready to be sent back. My intentions are to use the aircraft for a mix of charitable, educational and rewarding purposes depending on how useful it proves. I'm not rich, just mad about flying and helping others.
9XR-ZZ was previously based in Kinshasa and moved to Rwanda in the 80's if I recall well and was used at times for flight training at Kigali.

Until recently Silverback Cargo were kind enough to house the aircraft during its overhaul but sadly she now sits on the tarmac adjacent to the old school C-150 looked after by my friend with a great name: Concorde.

One option for the air freight is Rwandair Express but I am wondering if there are other carriers or other routings that would work out cheaper for me?

Mr. Steve

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd May 2006, 18:14
I think SAA flies to Kigali a couple of times a week. Perhaps they have a better price. Check their website at www.flysaa.com for more info.

Good luck and hope it comes together for you.

Mr. Steve
2nd May 2006, 18:46
From what I can see so far, there seems to be Rwandair Express which play swaps with SAA (I think they do the mid-week runs and SAA do the Sunday ones unless things have changed) and then I've seen DAS Air and Lufthansa occasionally at Kigali. Of course Silverback may be useful but they do charter work.

I was wondering if any PPRuners might be able to do me a deal with their airlines ....

Thanks again.

Steve