PDA

View Full Version : Lusaka Flying Club

MostlyModerate
2nd May 2006, 16:54
Can anyone tell me if the LFC is still operating ?
I was a QFI at the club in the late 70's, and by pure coincidence I recently met the widow of Linc Lord, who was at one time the Club President.
Any news would be appreciated.

Flying Bean
10th May 2006, 16:51
Long gone I'm afraid. I came into Zambia in 1984 and enjoyed some good socials and flying at the club. Sam (Air Force Major) checked me out on the 172 (LFC) when I arrived. Late 80's the Air Force took over City Airport and thew us all out. Club staggered on for a little while then folded.
I see 9J-LFC is still around. Zasti has it now. But there is almost zero instruction in Lusaka now. No planes, no avgas.:{

MostlyModerate
12th May 2006, 15:31
Thanks for that sad information, Bean - but I guess that's the way of the world. We used to have two 150's RGV and ADG, an Aerobat ACJ and a 172 AAH, and later an old PA140. In my final year, when Zambia "hosted" 20,000 or so guerillas from Rhodesia, we were declared a " security risk ". They put concrete-filled oildrums down the runway, and all we were allowed to do was to run up the engines once a week and taxi round in circles to get the rust off the brakes.
I had wondered whether things had relaxed after Independence in Zim - but clearly not. Probably a good idea to move the ZAF to City - where nobody could see them bending their Aermacchis.
Probably as sad is the loss one one of the truly inter-racial social clubs, frequented by PPL's , CPL's, ATPL's of all creeds, colours and nationalities.
R.I.P.

MM