PDA

View Full Version : To the instructors

cyclicpushover
2nd May 2006, 11:16
Been doing some pfl's lately and I've been thinking,
What goes through my instructors mind just moments before he says those magic words "practise engine failure now"?
Is it last nights dinner, or perhaps just "oh f:mad: ".
Im almost positive his stress levels go up 10fold.:uhoh:
Just curious!

Hughes500
2nd May 2006, 11:59
Is the student going to shut the throttle before lowering the lever? Or is he going to put the correct pedal in ?

Wint
2nd May 2006, 12:15
I think "If it were me, I'd aim for that field there"

Always have at least one place in sight for the student to aim for.

I also close the throttle at the same time as saying "practice engine failure".

Not much to be stressed about - unless you get too low!

Oh, and keep the engine warm!

Hmmm, that is fixed wing mind!

Flingwing207
2nd May 2006, 13:48
I fly in Schweizers, so the throttle chop is fair game for us - in my mind is making sure I have a suitable EOL spot chosen (just in case), guarding against the left pedal and/or forward cyclic, and preparing to (once again) utter the words "collective all the way down!!"

BTW, we do announce "engine failure", with the power cut coming about halfway through "failure".:E

Hidden Agenda
2nd May 2006, 13:53
If he thinks he is going to make it three in a row, I’ll teach the little b*gg*r!

Sort this one out!!!!!

topendtorque
3rd May 2006, 11:30
Hmmm.
I'll answer your q last but first, you are lucky that you have an instructor that has got you,
a)thinking, hence your Q,
b) looking for spots to land,
c) teaching you what happens when things go quiet and
d) rationalising your responses whenever things do go bad, which they will one day.

You are lucky,not all countries foster all of these attributes.

Having had the expeience for many years of checking newbies from every school in OZ it is often startling to see the difference in presented material. Keep thinking and watching.

The answer is simple and by the sound of it not far from what your case is.
It is; I will pull this throttle sometime, anytime that I can see the student is,
a) blank,
b) has not looked for a spot anytime recent
c) I always have my knee over the collective and right foot rigid behind the fight pedal and left foot crooked around the front of the cyclic.
d) if he doesn't bloody wake up soon I'll give him the full monty and will be able to get my hands back onto my lap without him seeing me move.

Good luck happy flying!

chuteless
3rd May 2006, 23:09
wow! look at that house i wonder if i could afford that ?
naw.
but lets take a closer look
(for all)
at no time would i endorse any risk of damage to property or persons
in case of a real EMERGENCY most of the houses (mansions) i like are usually set in two - 4339 acres
however dependant on the students attitude some are set in council estates where i believe the recovery of the helicopter would be dependant on the result of the local football team. pilots lives are however open to interpertation (as an added per-caution never wear colours of yellow and black)
police are not welcome.
howya TC