PDA

View Full Version : Standards & Safety Slipping & Sliding (at EK)?

brokenenglish
30th Apr 2006, 21:34
This subject is touched on but not really addressed in several other current threads, perhaps it deserves its own headline.

If one year ago, or two or three, a pilot working for Emirates as either an upgrade Captain or as a DEC had a defined minimum level of experience, and now that same seat is occupied by a Captain with quantifiably less experience, have safety and standards declined?

I say that they have, although not necessarily to an unacceptable level. Yet.

But where is it going to end?

If this airline is not prepared to provide a competitive remuneration and lifestyle package that will attract and keep the 'right' people to fly their aeroplanes then they deserve what is coming to them, as they deserved the Joburg incident (for cost cutting in MFF training).

And it will come, be very sure of that.

gatvol2006
30th Apr 2006, 23:48
I agree with you Broken. Finding to have to be a lot more vigilant from the LHS, degredation in standards is happening, but why?

Firstly the experienced pilot availalability on the market is running really thin, so they have 2 options: 1. Make it financially lucrative or 2. Drop the experience level. I'm afraid they have opted for the second option as this will boost their coffers.

The last point is that most EK trainers have only had EK training experience. In other words all they know is EK and have no previous abanitio training experience. So having got the experienced pilot in the past was easy to train. But now getting the more inexperienced pilot is a different kettle of fish. This type of intake needs propper training, you can't (like in the old days) throw books at him, shove him in a sim or AC and expect him to carry out what he has read.

So now it comes down to proper training, rather than just checking. The training dept is overloaded as it is and whats more the company are cutting down on the training? Where this is going who knows, all I know is I will not be joining the training section! Good luck to them.