PDA

View Full Version : Practical Advice on Contact Lenses Please

Jemy
30th Apr 2006, 18:39
I wear glasses to correct shortsightedness and slight astigmatism. I am considering getting Contact lenses, and I was wondering if anyone who wears them for flying can vouch for them (or otherwise).
1. I fly long haul and I'm concerned about them drying out. Is this a problem?
2. Is the cleaning of them each night a bit of a bind or does it become part of the routine?
3. I've heard that some people buy daily/ weekly or monthly contact lenses. What scheme works best and can you use them for longer than the "design period"?
4. Can you wear them behind swimming goggles?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Jemy

BoeingBoy
30th Apr 2006, 20:36
Hi Jemy,

I have worn contacts for over 25 years and operate the 767 on long haul routes for First Choice out of Manchester.

To answer your questions;

Nope. I use Johnson & Johnson Acuvue 2 and have never had a problem. It may be for you, so carry some refreshing eye drops commercially bought in any chemists.

2. Is the cleaning of them each night a bit of a bind or does it become part of the routine?

I use a cleaner called 'Easysept' by Bausch & Lomb. You put the lenses in a container with a metal element at the base, in the morning the cleaning fluid is converted to water to use to lubricate the lenses. Takes 4-5 hours to work.

3. I've heard that some people buy daily/ weekly or monthly contact lenses. What scheme works best and can you use them for longer than the "design period"?

Yes, I regularly forget to change lenses every two weeks and tend to do it when they start feeling a bit 'scratchy' or when I have a base check or a medical coming up:rolleyes: !!

Yep, do it all the time. Snorkelling too.

Most opticians will allow you a trial so see how you get on whilst on days off and have no fear of flying in them, but of course you will have to get your licence changed to 'lenses plus specs' to be legal.

Loose rivets
1st May 2006, 00:47
Watch out for that Bausch & Lomb's ReNu recall, that I posted on a few weeks ago. Small numbers involved, but horrible symptoms, and a risk of permanent damage it seems.

All may be well now, but it would be worth knowing for sure.

Oh that's super!
1st May 2006, 09:10

I have personally never had a problem with long haul flying (albeit not flying as a pilot). However, you would probably like to carry a bottle of contact-lens compatible eye drops with you at all times.

Also, I recommend you try a long haul flight as a passenger before operating a flight, so that you'll know how you go. Some people do find it a problem, so it's better to be safe and check how your eyes go.

I use monthly disposal contact lenses, from Bausche & Lomb PureVision. I don't clean them (if they become even slightly suspect, I just chuck them out - but it only happened once and that was my own fault - got some oily stuff in my eye by accident).

When I used to wear 'normal' contact lenses, cleaning them become part of the routine.

You can avoid cleaning them by using daily disposables anyway. BUT don't fall asleep with daily disposables for more than a very short nap. I did this a few times (fell asleep and didn't wake up for longer than planned) and it wasn't very pleasant - I thought I did myself damage (I didn't, though).

Personally, I much prefer disposable lenses. It reduces the margin of error (i.e. not cleaning them properly) and therefore makes it safer.

DO NOT wear them for longer than the 'design period' if you don't want problems. You definitely don't want eye problems, especially as a pilot.

I wear the extended wear monthly disposable lenses (as mentioned above, Bausche & Lomb PureVision). They stay in my eyes day and night for one month. After one month, they are just chucked out. I find them very comfortable. I also use eye drops / in-eye lens cleaner called Blink N Clean. It cleans lenses while they are in your eyes.

I haven't had any problem whatsoever with my monthly wear lenses. I've just had a thorough eye check and they aren't doing my eyes any harm.

Absolutely! I'm somewhat blind without them. In fact, I never swim without swimming goggles when I'm wearing contact lenses (which is always).

Jemy
1st May 2006, 19:23
Thanks for the info I really wanted some feedback from others before taking the plunge. I shall probably go ahead and get them as I'm doing lots of sport right now and find glasses to be a real pest. My Medical is soon so I'll clear it with the AME.

Thanks again
Jemy

driftdown
3rd May 2006, 14:37
I use Cibavision daily disposables. They feel more comfortable to wear, possibly due to them only being made for one use - so thinner ?

Cost me about 120 for 6 months and saves all the hassle of solutions etc, plus if they get uncomfortable or dry out you can pop them out and throw them away.

chipmunkj
7th May 2006, 14:58
I have worn soft contact lenses for over 33 years and during that time have flown as cabin crew on both l/h and s/h with no contact lens problems.
I also have a PPL and have flown both open and closed cockpit a/c for the last 32 years, with also no problems.
During this period i have tried many different types of soft lenses, but the best i have ever had are the daily disposables, which i buy on the internet after obtaining a prescription from my local opticians.
A new type of soft lens is just starting to hit the market, with a "moisturising" product in the plastic, i have not tried them yet,(but i will on my next examination!) but it might be worth asking your optician about them, as they would be ideal for flying.

Jemy
9th May 2006, 20:09
Thanks for the posts.
Having done a bit more research on the subject I found this on the Money Saving Expert site about cutting the cost of contacts. For example, a year's supply of daily lenses for 195 quid.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1081710634,17595

AlR
13th May 2006, 14:47
Try searching corneal refractive technology. Been using it for two years now. 30 Years of Contacts before this.

RickVisitor
19th May 2006, 22:08
I agree with all the above. However a little extra advice if you do take up wearing contact lenses is to ensure that you don't overwear them and try to take a day out once a week to keep your eyes healthy.

I've worn contacts for around 5 years now, and have suffered dry eyes and blurry vision simply because I was irresponsible and wore them more then 12 hours a day. To help my eyes recover I was forced to take a few weeks without wearing contacts and then be very careful about not wearing them over the 12 hours. So all I can say, is worn correctly they are fantastic, but abused and your eyes can suffer damage permenantly.