PDA

View Full Version : A £1.6m fighter jet: the ultimate boy's toy

polyglory
30th Apr 2006, 06:57
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article361054.ece
A far cry from the original Javelin, enjoyed the test clip on here.
http://www.avtechgroup.com/

FJJP
30th Apr 2006, 07:31
Wow! Sorry kids, come the lottery win, your shares just went out the window! Don't worry, though, I'll buy the two-seater. :D

V. nice machine. I wonder what would happen if you stuck on the odd bomb or 2, or a gun pod? This could re-shape the RAF! Who needs to lash out 25+mil per jet when you could pick one up for 1.6M, complete with training...

...except by the time MOD procurement and Boscome had finished with it... :{

Ideas on the back of a fag packet to ACM Sir G T.... :ok:

STANDTO
30th Apr 2006, 08:55
seems v. cheap. Has to be a catch somewhere.

All that CAA guff doesn't hold much water really. It would seem to be similar to an L39 or Magister, ecept bang up to date witha glass cockpit, warranty, modern engines etc. cheap as chips and safe as houses. Nope, defineitely has to be a catch.

airborne_artist
30th Apr 2006, 09:28
No mention of a bang seat in the spec., and I'd be guessing that a single 0/0 seat alone costs >50% of the rrp of the a/c. The additional engeneering of the airframe and systems to accomodate the seats would also be a healthy price.

Rakshasa
30th Apr 2006, 09:41
*Shrug* Looks like their billing it as a richman's toy exec jet. (Easily sees one of these owned by John Travolta.)

Wonder if it comes with a shiny helmet saying 'Maverick' on it? :E

ORAC
30th Apr 2006, 09:48
There is a military version, the Mk 20, which was exhibited at this years Paris Air Show, which comes equipped with ejection seats, much more complex avionics, a radar, and other upgrades. But the price goes up to about £3.6 million. :ouch:

MightyGem
30th Apr 2006, 10:22
No mention of a bang seat in the spec
Why would it need one? How many people wear a parachute when flying their Cessna?

JackRyan
30th Apr 2006, 10:30
:confused: ...and how many Cessnas fly at Mach 0.9? If you want to try force landing the ATG Javelin Mk 10 in a field, be my guest!

airborne_artist
30th Apr 2006, 11:38
MG

The stall speed and glide perf of a swept-wing will make RW emergency autos look enticing.

MightyGem
30th Apr 2006, 12:52
OK then, how many learjets have ejector seats? Military jets have ejector seats because the odds of having to use it area fairly high. The Javalin's no more than than a GTi private plane. Maybe nice to have, but not really a requirement just because it's a jet.

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2006, 12:55
I saw the family version, or something that would pass for one at Bedford in the late 80s. Real beaut of a jet. Twin engines, intakes about a hand span and the whole pod could be cradled in your arms. 4-seater with contoured seat. Made of composites and all white. Sat in the corner of the shed.

I got an answer here a couple of years ago but can't remember. It certainly looked the boys toys part.

BEagle
30th Apr 2006, 16:25
Chichester-Miles Leopard: http://www.aviation-museum.co.uk/leopardtwo.htm

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2006, 16:54
Beagle, thanks, I see the latest date in 2003. Is the project still on going? The aircraft looks so exactly right that it is surprising it is not operational.