PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to hitchhike betw LPA and Banjul?

phoq af
29th Apr 2006, 19:56
Hey,
thx for allowing a short visit to banjul. Am in Las Palmas and fly for Zimex usual workplaces Libya, Algeria, Sudan, Saudia, Angola.

KESHO
30th Apr 2006, 06:48
phoq af- I think that is pretty universal in any part of the globe.

1.You have to look good, so wear your number ones, maybe the monkey suit.
2.Dont take big bags, as its like Ryanair in Europe, ie. no matutu will stop if you carry what the average African equivalent does.
3.Then use your thumb and wait.

Personally I would rather stay at Las Palmas and enjoy the windy beaches with the well tanned Spanish and other curves around.

phoq af
30th Apr 2006, 22:38
what i meant is : jump seating in cargo birds or/airliners if it is common practice from Air Senegal I or RAM or Air Gambia (anyone to give me more AL landing in BJL?)
IN LPA, where i happily live thx, they say 'viajar como extra(crew)'; it is still the norm in spanish spkg countries. But 2001 does not facilitate our lives, see the new Barajas Terminal (IB Terminal, which being the main spanish carrier offers the best free destinations...) or CDG ORY (where i once came from) and you'll understand u cannot negociate a free seat if u can't see face to face the pilot...
So the ? again: what air carriers out in BJL? & which would accept a pilot (from a differnt continent but working in Africa -North° as an extracrew?

Any reply to any of thes ? will be a plus in my search to go to Gambia next w-end...

Thx again

PS= you might have answered me saying 'it is universal' (being an extracrew as a flying personnel) but not sure, so... It is not outside Iberia (ES+P) anymore in EU for one; already 15 yrs this practice died in F for ex.

Treetopflyer
1st May 2006, 20:53
Hey phoq af

Take a look at Slok's schedules. They're based out of Banjul and operate 73's. Not sure if they go to Las Palmas though.

As KESHO says, I'd stay in the Canary Islands if it were me, but hey, it's your life... :rolleyes:

TTF

MD12
1st May 2006, 21:09
phoq af,

What a/c are you flying at LPA? I´m also flying down there.

Regards,

MD

phoq af
2nd May 2006, 22:03
Well even scheduled direct flight from Spanair, which as every spanish airlines take 'extras'. There's a bit of a catch here as Spanair is THE one that has Cpt rejecting people... The cpt are unionized... They argue we don't reciprocate, up N. in EU. I can only agree with their statement but hey i need to fly for free from time to time so I won't really get into a discussion when and how i could reciprocate.
No luck anyway coz' as Spanair switch scheds I don't have my quicky 2h direct flight once a week: wrong wk !!! Bitch.
But I got IB flight direct everyday to DKR, good enough.
I had kind of check on the Nigerian reborn Gambian co after reading other posts but not going to EU (Living here in N Atlantic just a bird soaring from the Sahara coast does not mean i can't get all my usual EU citizen amenities...). Or anywhere close enough. Thx for the hint though.
As for MD12, sorry I don't fly around here or a PC6 when one comes for the local DZ. I'd like it to be permanent but no serous activity for it. Hope i will make it possible soon.
If i were flying from this place, most likely i'd use my air transporter or local connections. But i am currently in Libya (when at work, LP IS my home).
It seems by your comment I'm not alone enjoying staying in this place, chose it for the outdoor. From my balcony I can watch the best world windsurfing training almost every day, wind permitting... of course.
So i think this thread is dead, apart from some experiences sharing on how and where to hitchhike metallic birds for the benefits of us all. MIGHT NEED a TITLE CHANGE.
CU

;)

MD12
3rd May 2006, 19:50
Did you have probs with SPanair? They rarely deny extra-crews on board. Keep on trying.

phoq af
4th May 2006, 22:51
As i said above, one union (don't ask i am not a Spanish pilot and even if worked in ES, too short to get to know these matters) considers that foreign pilots (out of the Spanish speaking world i suppose) should not be permiited on board. Since they cannot reciprocate: this is sadly true, we cannot.
The situation we're in, a tad N of Iberia or E (Italy is no better, Greece i can't say), is starting to realize here. In the new Barajas T4, thx to Ben Laden and the Am stupid reaction that spread everywhere in the world (of airports), we cannot access the pilots or their birds anymore w/o a proper PAX or Company ticket. Hence, IB pilots cannot do much to take you for free if they don't see you are trying to get onto their plane. So long for a thumb up to go anywhere u like at anytime... Ah freedom ! The ONLY thing that REALLY counts (for me).
Elsewhere I know in EU, you've had to have a partner company ticket or smg approved by the carrier to get in (not much to pay BUT my IATA employer does not have these agreements...) for as long as i've been flying some 15 yrs ago. So I am skipping my homeland and anywhere around to keep going (outside my job).
SPANAIR again, I got a rejection as it happens just here in LPA; the ops guy in service told me this CPT was not of the easiests... then after checking no 'ezy' CPT would land and go to MAD for the next 12H => I took IB 45' later.
I got another so-so experience w/ a UX Capt. , not for rejection but while i was waiting for the crew to LPA to show. He made lotta noise because i was seated inside the Co OPS for a 2H waiting time. The crews always (twice) have been very open and sympathetic to take me. On this one I missed the flight because their van driver refused to take smy not from UX (for insurance he argued, which was unheard of from the crew! So even outside T4 it is no more simple in MAD -same for BCN or VLC they say). Going thru the PAX channel in T2 Bajaras, around midnight I got stopped by a zealous customs cop, that imposed i register my windsurf sail (booths all closed and in... T1) where as the flight was to leave in the next 5', crew and gate personnel waiting for me, after the 'van driver upset'...
This form of traveling is quite new to me. So I don't really command all aspects BUT it's been mostly enjoyable since I first tried last sept. Had i known yrs back i would have traveled much more, AF cultural bias did not help.
If you can share your experiences MD12 as u seem to b much more seasoned on the ?, please do. That'll make me a bit less dumb, when hitch-hiking.

Greetings,
phoq