PDA

View Full Version : Fourth NYC major airport

MarkD
29th Apr 2006, 04:55
The New York Times has an article on the crowding at JFK/LGA/EWR (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/29/nyregion/29airport.html?ei=5094&en=69c6d68936ea9208&hp=&ex=1146283200&partner=homepage&pagewanted=print) (rego required) and proposals to develop another major airport in the region. Under consideration are:
Stewart International Airport in New Windsor, N.Y.;
Long Island Islip MacArthur Airport;
Westchester County Airport;
Trenton Mercer Airport;
Atlantic City International Airport;
Lehigh Valley International Airport in Allentown, Pa.
a green field airport in Morristown, N.J.

Anyone care to venture whether (a) the existing airports can accommodate future increases and if not (b) which if any of the airports above might fit the bill.

seacue
29th Apr 2006, 17:44
Westchester must be NIMBY-central, so I would cross that off the list.

Atlantic City is about 95 miles from teh center of NYC. That's as far as Philadelphia and there's probably some air service from PHL to at least one of the present NYC airports.

Stewart and Islip are on the far fringes of the NYC area, about 50 miles from city center.

Trenton is about 60 miles from NYC center.

Allentown is about 75 miles from NYC

Morristown is the closest to NYC about 25 miles fron city center..

This looks to me to be laying the background that Morristown is the only place that makes sense.

Golf Charlie Charlie
29th Apr 2006, 20:03
Morristown is also big NIMBY territory, and I think the site was proposed 35 years or so ago and was quickly dismissed as a candidate. Development density and congestion have finally become big issues in the US northeast. There's really no developable green field land within 100 miles of new York City.

I think Newburgh Stewart stands the best chance : close to an existing rail corridor and at the cross-roads of two interstates.

20driver
30th Apr 2006, 03:45
Morristown is pretty much at the max and really has no role to play except providing some relief to Teterboro. Very affluent area with clout. So nothing major will happen there.
ISP will continue to expand as a Southwest base and no one is going to go there to duke it out with them. Actually has a fair bit of space.
Stewart has a lot of potential and can grow. A lot of space and a huge runway. That area of New York is developing very fast and there is a push to build a second commuter rail tunnel so it could make something happen.
Trenton was rumored to be a Southwest target but they went to PHL and have to reason to go there or ABE.
ABE has a good location, better than ACY and might develop. They problem there is the area is building out which will make it hard on the airport.
For anything but 737 size service there is no option but Stewart.
20 driver
PPL @ MMU

airhumberside
30th Apr 2006, 10:08
Interesting fact is that Trenton is served by Pan Am

Newburgh (which is actually part of National Express) seems like a good option. It has a very long runway (often handles B747s) so even if passenger airlines arent interested, cargo airlines might be. There has also been rumours of JetBlue being interested in the airport, which if they ever came true, could be a catalyst to further expansion there.

Isnt the biggest problem though getting airlines to see these airports as being for New York, not just for the immediate community around them? Take for example Allegiant's flights to Newburgh and Allentown. They aren't trying to serve New York with those flights but just the airport's immediate catchment

Golf Charlie Charlie
30th Apr 2006, 17:44
I tend to doubt that JetBlue would want to get into Newburgh, because a) they're already well established at JFK, LGA, even now EWR, b) they're investing money in expanding their existing terminal at JFK (taking in the iconic old TWA terminal), and c) JetBlue recently announced a slowdown in their recent growth strategy and may even be returning some aircraft to lessors and/or delaying delivery of others.

I agree about Newburgh's freight potential. I think FedEx and Atlas are already users. You would think that some passenger service might be supported by a catchment area taking in northern New Jersey, northern New York City/Hudson river valley and southern New York State, especially given its geographical location. It would be a natural too for any future no-frills low-cost transatlantic service, provided some regular bus or train service were in existence.