PDA

View Full Version : What's going on?

south coast
28th Apr 2006, 15:44
Why are we suddenly reading about crash after crash in the congo?

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to why this is?

propspanner
28th Apr 2006, 19:28
south coast,

You know why, its africa!!! :} and thats that! Its not the pilots :ok: Its the places we all opperate in. ATC, weather and conditions.
And we all do it because of the money :{

So to those, its a hard place to be, but someone has to do it

You have been there, done it and have the scars to prove it.
Why did you leave?? :* :ouch: :uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2006, 06:07
And we all do it because of the money :{
:

What company do you work for that pays you so well to put your @rse on the line?

I do it because I'm battling to get a job with airlines back home....:{

hyenacackle
30th Apr 2006, 20:48
If it's not about the money then why don't you go and work for a local
operation for peanuts till that low paying airline job happens!

You are so right propspanner, ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY AND SUCH A
SHAME TOO:{

Solid Rust Twotter
1st May 2006, 07:31
...And what local operation would this be?

Stayinalive
1st May 2006, 09:13
Seem to agree with Solid on this one........all the local operations are paying peanuts.... and working in Africe and the DRC alike is by no means just to make huge amounts of money on contract.
After years of this....same s#$t different day routine its a case of having to survive due to the inept inabiliy of local airlines employing the boys that have done it before and gained huge amounts of experience.... but then giving the opportunities to the so called disadvantaged in the system who havnt seen Africa from less than 35000 ft except on approach to one of the "safe" runways that Africa has to offer.
People in excess of 5000 hrs and well travelled and experienced are in essence in this country a seen as has-beens unfortunately.
Some of the people that have the most to offer to the local industry in my opinion are being sidelined to make way for "quotas" that satisfy the powers that be.
For all the guys out there in Africa still plugging away to make a living and trying to get that elusive local post...stick with it and in the mean time stay safe...albeit in the most trying and hazardous circumstances....No-one who has not been there and done it...... can in the mean time shut up!!

APPR ARM
2nd May 2006, 18:07
A round of applause for the man please.:ok:

What makes me so sad about the last eight years that I've been contracting, besides the litres of sweat I've dripped in and on Africa's Airports, the Pints of blood robbed by africa's tiniest little thieves, the culture shock of various countries prisons, the thousands of dollars-promised, yet unreceived....,the gunshots, the bomb blasts and mental PT.....When I look at all the manhours/tons of aid/medicines flown around Africa and the Middle East, I so saddends me to think that we could have been doing all of this for the inhabitants of our own country....:(

Stayinalive
2nd May 2006, 19:57
APPR ARM.......U Hit the nail on the head. Time some comments from one of the guys that feel what the hell is going on. 11000 hrs... 53 countries in the last 20 yrs...time for me to move on to the last...with my family permanently to greener pastures. Im outa here shortly...been offered a position finally in a first world country....on the UP!
The rest of the "survivors" in Africa ..take care.

mupepe
2nd May 2006, 21:27
south coast,
You know why, its africa!!! :} and thats that! Its not the pilots :ok: Its the places we all opperate in. ATC, weather and conditions.
And we all do it because of the money
HI Guys;
I don't agree this statement:* I was flying there for many years and there was few accidents comparing what we're experiencing now!
All depends on the structural system of the country wich unfortunately slip away from the standard normality!
I enjoyed very much the challenge to fly in that country ,to overcome all sort of difficulties of being "bush pilot".
Moneywise , this was not really fun as most of us were under national exchange rule limiting money transfert to our bank in Europe!
Lots of delays to get paid with hard money at that time.....but much safer to fly than today.
Keep the blue side up and have fun!:)