PDA

View Full Version : Jet * Int requirements for ER OPs

Bolty McBolt
28th Apr 2006, 01:37
Would it be fair to speculate the a new/startup international carrier whom wished to fly ER/ETOPS flying from day one would need to show CASA 2 of the following :-
1/ A proven history of maintenance of similar or same type aircraft
A. Maint to be done by QF
2/ Highly experienced Tech crew with many hours on type?
I have read on another now closed thread that many of the current QF A330 Captains would not qualify to apply for Jet * due to the high hours required?
Would this be the reason the job advertisements are being seen worldwide with Jet * trying to lure a few home sick pilots away from the sand pit or Hong Kong to acquire the experience they need to operate on the routes planned?
Perhaps a few DECs on big buck contracts to get the ball rolling?

ur2
28th Apr 2006, 02:33
YEP, I'll take that.:D

Redstone
28th Apr 2006, 04:43
It would be more than fair Bolty, I'd say you're right on the money.

gas-chamber
28th Apr 2006, 05:13
'cept I bet it won't be big-buck contracts. Enough want to come home and GD will trade on that.

Jetsbest
28th Apr 2006, 06:41
It sounds a bit like;
- the JPC sold this 'great opportunity' to their guys/gals to preserve the existing seniority list,
- without any guarantee that the company could name any criteria it wanted,
- in order to restrict movement/promotion to the new types from existing staff,
- and that some J* pilots might be realising that this flying was never meant for...,
- the few of their own group who actually want to do what is shaping up to be many nights spent away for less pay than their narrow-body contract.

Only time will tell....

Trylandher2
28th Apr 2006, 07:14
It's a great opportunity for a lot of guys to get commands back in Australia. That is until they realise they may get jumped over in seniority in 2 years to become FO's again and also have to fork out for B787 rating. It's a good deal.

Douglas Mcdonnell
28th Apr 2006, 13:05
Better the devil you know. Id much rather the st george rowers than than a sleazy OS location. Give me Tooheys over Tiger bitter any day!!!!.

DM

Bolty McBolt
28th Apr 2006, 13:35
Amen to Tooheys New over Tiger.

Way to many head aches in each can of Tiger :ouch:

Its amazing how anything can be broken down to the common denominator of BEER.
Is the anything beer can't do.

Duff Duff its wonderful stuff

Pete Conrad
29th Apr 2006, 00:44
I agree on the beer choice DM, bout the only thing I'll agree with you on.

cunninglinguist
29th Apr 2006, 00:47
Thats if they can get through the physcometric crap, Trylandher.:uhoh:

Sandy Freckle
29th Apr 2006, 03:14
"Jet * Int requirements for ER OPs"

A 50% pay cut and a scandalously selfish outlook on life are the first two things that come to mind.....:oh: :oh: :ok:

Elroy Jettson
29th Apr 2006, 03:43
Its going to take more than a few experienced drivers from the pit or the harbour to get anything more than 120min ETOPS. All AO did was change the paint scheme, same drivers, same engineers, and they have only just got 180min ETOPS after 3 and a half years of operation. They have been limited to 120min all this time. Cant see how CASA would issue jester with even 120 with no experience operating the 330. 120 would be generous, 180 would have the AO management in uproar! (You would have to think something smells a little fishy if they get ETOPS straight up). :suspect:

Bolty McBolt
29th Apr 2006, 04:01
Elroy
My point exactly :ok:

Redstone
29th Apr 2006, 04:54
To quote the bard:

"market movements call the shots, business deals in parking lots"

Normasars
29th Apr 2006, 06:12
Elroy,

2 things worth noting here.
1. Jokestar have an unlimited budget(ie back door deals). GD has said on a few occasions that the growth of Onestar WILL NOT BE COMPROMISED.
2. By then there will be no AO or management so who gives a ..
Just the facts mate:yuk: .

PW1830
29th Apr 2006, 08:00
re A330 EROPS
120 min allowed the 767-200 to fly extensively around Asia.
From memory, even Aust - HNL was ok using places like Majuro. HNL -LAX/SFO the only 180 min required sector.
I would be surprised if initial 120 min approval was not forthcoming.

Elroy Jettson
29th Apr 2006, 11:04
Gday Normasars, thanks for the reply. No ammount of money will get you 180mins straight up with no history. Period. (Unless the regulator is open to bribes which of course no one is suggesting that).

AO will continue to operate as a Cairns base of mainline, with its own flight ops management and regulatory approvals seperate to mainline. These people will still be there when jester starts off, and would be mighty pi$$ed if jester gets 180min after waiting so long for their approval.

Jester might get 120min, but not likely, remember the QF machines were an untried airframe engine combination. Another master stroke when they ordered those buckets of bolts.

Bolty McBolt
29th Apr 2006, 11:39
Speculating again ??

With either 120 0r 180 min ER being required by Jet * Int

What is the reasoning behind the high hour requirement for Captains unless it is somehow tied to the conditions of the AOC.

Rumour has it that the AOC was tied to the use of very experienced tech crew in the case with Virgin start-up.

If memory serves ( I may be wrong) AO did not even have or perhaps use 120 mins on start up either

TineeTim
29th Apr 2006, 11:45
Have a look at the great circle mapper
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=syd-bkk%2Csyd-hnl%2Csyd-nrt%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=mi&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=&ETOPS=120
180 minutes is not an issue anywhere other than Hawaii. US mainland is a problem but that won't be happening for awhile. Obviously, weather can complicate things but, in Asia at least, airports are plentiful and this issue just isn't goint to affect their ops.

woodja51
29th Apr 2006, 13:43
I have been in the pit for a few years and can tell you that J* will probably have no drama getting guys from EK or Dragon to crew the 6-8 330s they are after.May sound like a mercenary but if you have saved your money (and tax credits) wisely you can certainly cope with 160 ish tax free for a few years. The window of opportunity to come home as a dec will be narrow.Anyone done the interview yet? - I am after info on the sim ride in the 747? psychometrics are standard everywhere! :ok:

Arctaurus
29th Apr 2006, 14:57
w51,

Not these psychometrics - they are something else again. I hope they modify them to better reflect the different age group of some of the DEC's. :suspect:

Pete Conrad
29th Apr 2006, 21:57
Makes you wonder why they voted the EBA in hey? Only 6 expressions of interest from the J* crowd to crew the A330. Couple that with a fair amount who will crack the ****es with J* and in the next few years leave to fly for EK, Dragon etc....and then of course the spectre of flying the trashy product across the Pacific spending long periods away from family will grate on the egotists that saw nothing but a shiny 787...so what transpires?...an EBA that was voted in, but no one wants to do or is happy with the flying?...again, well thought out JPC.

QFinsider
29th Apr 2006, 22:31
But don't worry Pete, their illustrious leader will slide into some office position...
just like they do at Q.:mad:

Cruising Along
1st May 2006, 09:28
Jetstar has been swamped with A330 endorsed pilot applications who are high experience on type, ETOPs and International operations. Looks like alot of pilots want to leave Emirates and Dragon

Capt Basil Brush
1st May 2006, 11:15
Cruising, I am sure there are heaps 'testing the water' to see what's on offer.

It will be interesting to see how many continue with their application when they see what is 'actually' on offer!

That will show what they think their 'real' worth is. :{

Shot Nancy
1st May 2006, 14:38
Blokes will only leave EK & KA if the terms are right, despite what the two gnomes think.
Time will tell.

OBNO
1st May 2006, 20:41
Just read the EBA/contract carefully. There are holes there for the company to expolit in the future eg. Days off per roster period.

AnQrKa
2nd May 2006, 02:33
I have spoken to numerous guys in KA who will accept a jetstar job pretty much on the terms on offer. The terms most who have applied are looking for are a job in Oz and clean air.

Some are fishing but many are serious about pulling the plug and going home.

tifters
2nd May 2006, 03:08
Can only hope that a world pilot shortage occurs soon as we sure as hell aint doing anything to help our own causes!!!
Proof the J* eba has already had an effect, CX has put forward an offer for Direct entry F.Os, Oz base at 30% less than current F.O doing same job!!!!!!(We will of course fight this!!) Aus is now a good source of cheap labour!!!

Roadrunner
2nd May 2006, 03:56
Tooheys New, you've got to be kidding man.

You know what they say about it re horizontal action by the ocean...

Bolty McBolt
2nd May 2006, 04:42
I knew this thread would get back on track.
BEER
I will happily take a Tooheys new over any of the asian brands and your criticism of said product insinuating it is similar to making love in a canoe is a bit harsh :E

JJ&MFMary
2nd May 2006, 05:52
A short notice for those pilots from EK, KA and elswhere who have applied for the DEC DEF/O positions in JQ Int.
A kind soul in JQ recruiting has provided me with a list of applicants names and which airline they are currently working for. This afternoon I took great pleasure in emailing those details to respective HR departments.
So for your own sakes I hope you get the job with JQ Int, because you will soon be out of work or at least have some interesting explaining to do.
Additionally, myself and a number of other mainline pilots are in the process of setting up a internet site which will feature the names (and any other details we can get) of the DEC's / DEF/O's.
Have a nice day now

I think you're talking crap. For anyone to pass on confidential information like that is unconscionable and un-Australian. Nevertheless, for your deeds, you will never be returning to D&G under this handle. Consider it a lifetime ban. If you choose to reincarnate yourself, you will be banned right down to IP level. Yes, we log your IP address.:ok:

Now go away.:mad:

Woomera (Eastern States)

Capn Bloggs
2nd May 2006, 06:07
This afternoon I took great pleasure in emailing those details to respective HR departments.

Geez you're a nice piece of work, Mary.

Website with names: what's this, the scab list of 2006?

Elroy Jettson
2nd May 2006, 06:11
Gday Anqrka, is the harbour that "on the nose" that these guys are jumping at the chance to take a command and earn substantially less than a first year FO earns up there? Yes, I know its not all about money, but you're now used to reasonable dollars, isnt it a case of the the grass being greener? Or would they just swap it all to have some grass under foot full stop? Just curious...

How much is Jester charging for the interview sim ride for endorsed candidates, does anyone know?

I guess jester will end up with 2 distinct groups. Those who have made their bucks, and view it as a pension and semi retirement, and those who view it as a job search allowance while they look for a real flying job that pays the going rate. I guess it will closely resemble the 76 in mainline, the hospice for over 60's, and the most junior FO's hoping for better things.

Tinee Tim, you can forget about your great circle tracking through most of the airspace these guys are planning to fly in. Care to try requesting flex tracking through Ujung, Bali, Manila or Moresby? How about route restrictions through Moresby due to any number of things. For a laugh, have a look at the notams currently on PY, and ask yourself if you would rely solely on it for planning. What about when Guam shuts down routes when the kids there play war games? Its a long way to Osaka on a 60min plan. You need 120min minimum on any of these routes. Any savings made by $crewing their staff will be out the window in a very short period if they dont get it.

IMHO GD's euphoria of just how much money he will be making from this outfit will be very short lived. Obviously not learning much from his AO or his Jeffstar Asia experiences. (No offence to those of you genuinely trying to make a go of either of those outfits). Interesting to note that the "premium" read 'mainline' part of the group are making all of the money, proping up the failing low cost off shoots. I would (controversially) even include Jester domestic in this. QF props it up by copping the entire fuel surcharge, to subsidise Jester, and make it appear cheaper than VB. This is the most transparent creative accountancy practice. No doubt alot more Enron Style Accountancy going on behind the scenes. :E

Keg
2nd May 2006, 06:12
I don't like the conditions and I don't like the thought that those who have made their fortunes o/s will now come back and undercut the local industry but I certainly don't agree with white-anting those applicants at their current employer either. It would only make them even more keen to see QF pilots come undone- at a time when we should be still reaching out to the J* crew!

So, can we forget the pettiness and work at getting our 7:20 on decent terms and conditions instead of worrying about the 13:20 that may or may not materialise from o/s! :rolleyes:

Night Hawk
2nd May 2006, 06:17
:\ Great, make sure that they have to come back for the Eba that is on offer. Having no choice because their current company is going to make it difficult for them.
Nice of J* to forward on the names. I can’t get them to give out any information. :hmm:
If this is a wind up, well I’m happy to bite but if not screwing with another pilot’s career at his/her current employer is just not on whether she/he intends to leave or not. :mad:

Woomera
2nd May 2006, 10:29
People, time out for a second.
We are fairly liberal with you lot.
One thing we will not tolerate is the threat (or otherwise) of passing on confidential information regarding your career apirations to your present employer.
That is just not on:mad:
JJ whatever has been banned forever. We have the capability of banning down to IP level, and if pushed, will use it. This has been done before. The implication of this is that if you are an Optus, Telstra, or whoever customer, we can ban ALL posts inbound from those individual ISP's.
So before you hit the "submit" button, think of the implications it may have for your fellow users, which may be in the thousands.

As for JJ&MFMary, I will be drawing attention of this thread to my contact in JQ HR for further action if necessary. This is unacceptable behaviour in the extreme.

Woomera (Eastern States)

Statorblade
2nd May 2006, 12:28
Well said Woomera/Woomeri:

It would be interesting to get a reaction and a follow up from JQ HR over this.

Looking at it in the cold light of day, surely it is a wind up.

I just can't believe any sane person from QF mainline, irrespective of personal opinions on the JQ EBA, would resort to such disgusting and moronic behaviour.:*

max AB
2nd May 2006, 13:15
......I don't like the thought that those who have made their fortunes o/s will now come back and undercut the local industry...
Keg, it was the local industry that set these conditions did they not..?

Eagleman
7th May 2006, 10:26
Woomera,

The JQ system is not secure. Leakage of applicant info is rife.

I do not condone the actions of Mary et al, in fact I despise them, but there is a bigger issue with confidentiality in the JQ HR department.

Tankengine
8th May 2006, 02:54
Passing the same hoops re psych testing as Qantas has been mentioned in this and other threads.
This is in fact a furphy, Jet* applicants SIT the same tests but do not have to PASS the tests. [If in doubt inquire as to the scores : 1 or 3 etc]
No matter what anyone thinks of these tests the FACTS are that the amount of applicants scoring the number required is dropping, the long talked about Pilot shortage is rapidly approaching!!:}
Of course GD will take anyone for Jet* int as he needs it to succeed to keep his job!:yuk: