PDA

View Full Version : Emerald and the CAA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Toastal
27th Apr 2006, 19:14
Does anyone know what the latest is re the CAA inspection at Emerald? I heard that all line re-certs have been put on hold (mostly the Budgie guys). Rumours are that they're very short on Shed pilots, but can't recruit fresh meat until they get current guys back on line! :ouch:

bermudatriangle
30th Apr 2006, 02:21
:uhoh: :uhoh:

Germstone
30th Apr 2006, 18:36
things just seem to go from bad to worse ......not to worry MOB will sort it

Fred Shed
1st May 2006, 15:06
Can't possibly have any fingers left to stick in the holes can he?
Not counting the ones pushed in each ear of course, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU".

Mr Magoo
1st May 2006, 17:29
I understand that about half of Emeralds ATP F/O's now have no valid type rating as of today

EI-CGO
2nd May 2006, 08:55
I hear that plans to have their 'very own' TRE on the SD3-60 fleet have been put on hold.

Fred Shed
2nd May 2006, 10:51
This is indeed worrying news for all the guys still working there.
They won't get a TRE unless the salary reflects the position, but some companies seem to think it's all for your own benefit. Can make more money and have a better lifestyle as a freelancer.

EI-CGO
2nd May 2006, 14:05
They were supposed to be sending someone on a TRE course but thats been scrapped or blocked as some seem to think.

That leaves just one SD3-60 TRE available to them which cannot be an ideal situation.

I had a PM recently from someone who has unbelievably been offered a type rating later in the month, I imagine the course has been cancelled now !!

Night Freight 1
4th May 2006, 17:47
anybody heard anything ? this is bad news

Ste_P
4th May 2006, 18:33
Be advised that with effect from 2100 hours local this evening our AOC has been suspended.

The reasons for such will be highlighted in a ‘Notice’ to be prepared and issued likely tomorrow morning.

This means all aircraft must not fly beyond 2100 hours and customers are being advised of such as quick as I possibly can.

The above suspention is subject to an appeal, details of which will be issued later.

EI-CGO
4th May 2006, 19:00
5 748's on their way back to BLK at the moment.

Cant imagine this is going to go down well with the RM, the ABZ flights were on a final warning anyway 'alledgedly'

No one can take any pleasure in what is going on at JEM, its a very sad day for all those who have worked damn hard.

Phileas Fogg
4th May 2006, 19:11
I've worked for Emerald twice in my career, the first time back in 1994/1995 and the second time some years later.

I have to say that the first time was the best and some fond and fun memories remain with me from that time, by the time I worked there the second time the company had grown and whilst some politics etc. had set it it remained, on the whole, fun.

Hopefully this is just a temporary setback and better times may lie ahead, good look to all including AJ & MOB.

PF

Emeroid Eng
4th May 2006, 19:16
I just heard the news, I'm so sorry for all staff. I hope that it all works out for you.

Having recently left after 9yrs I know just how hard working everyone is. I even wish MOB the best of luck in getting it back for the sake of all employees.

Take Care Guys, see you soon for a 10 Strong Whipped

Germstone
4th May 2006, 20:03
yep sad indeed....just witnessed a stream arrival of budgies arrive BLK.

wish all well at emerald hope it works out ok.

well hung ops gimp
4th May 2006, 20:59
it will either be ops or crewings fault as usual.Sorry but the buck stops at the top
i do not understand why anyone is surprised we all saw it coming.A few pilots must be loving it ?they know who they are.If AJ lets it continue in the manor its been managed then what does he expect.Abusing staff and the authority will only last for so long before they bite back .Sad for many deserved for a few

Germstone
4th May 2006, 21:04
Abusing staff

one of the reasons i headed for pastures new ;-)

jindabyne
4th May 2006, 21:06
Does this mean the end, or is there still a hope that Emerald will continue in business? Not a journo, I have a good mate who flies for them.

Germstone
4th May 2006, 21:15
if the aoc is pulled you cant fly

if you cant fly its harder to make money

if you dont make money ....well you know the rest

Yak97
4th May 2006, 21:15
Has it affected the ATP's as well??. Maybe this new operator who's advertising in Flight International (Magic Bird Airlines) has timed it just right?

well hung ops gimp
4th May 2006, 21:17
yes germstone understand where your coming from still have friends who work there to be honest they are glad its possibly over so they can put an end to their suffering and move on .Since being away from there its been a shock as to how bad the place is run and how many health and safety rules they break and thats just the tip of the problems .There are some good people who would be welcomed else where but they need to move and move fast or be left out in the cold .The amount of people leaving in the last 6 months should have been enough warning many long term employees who saw the writing on the wall

Germstone
4th May 2006, 21:18
Has it affected the ATP's as well

would imagine its the whole fleet

Say again s l o w l y
4th May 2006, 21:52
A real bad bit of news for all at JEM. I can't wish anything but luck to all my ex-colleagues who all went well beyond the call of duty on a regular basis (That's everyone except management basically), don't worry there are far better employers out there, once you get into the "real world" you'll realise what a bag of s*ite Emerald was.

I hope it does get sorted, with a change of management Emerald could be a fantastic place to work.

Good luck all, I think you'll be needing it.......

There is only one reason for this state of affairs and I think most could take a guess at his initials. He'd never admit it, but I'm afraid when stuff like this happens it can only be due to the "leadership".

Phileas Fogg
4th May 2006, 22:24
Ops Gimp,
Do you really think this is the time and the place to say 'I told you so' when there are others perhaps sh1tt1ng themselves regarding how they may survive or pay the mortgage etc?

If you're one of the affected persons then you have my sympathy but go out, have a few beers, give the girlfriend a seeing to, but try to lay off pprune posting in the manner you have been.

I worked for an airline 4 years ago, the one after I last left Emerald, the CAA tried to pull the AOC twice in a fortnight because they believed the crew records were a shambles. I, personally, proved to the a'hole of an inspector that they were not and the airline continued flying.

Obviously I do not know what is going on inside Emerald at the moment, perhaps it is all over or perhaps they have been given time to get their house in order but at least give them a fighting chance before burying them yourself!

PF

Mr Shedtastic
4th May 2006, 22:48
Ah ****......Emerald have no reason to be where they are except bad management. The contracts etc are there, the staff are there. The buck has to stop somewhere and someone HAS to take things seriously.

We all know what the Campaign Against Aviation is like, but there is a limit. I seriously hope EMERALD get through this.

They deserve to be a survivor.

DV they will be.

EI-CGO
5th May 2006, 05:00
It is a crying shame for all those concerned, but there is blame here and that lies firmly with management, if you cannot even sort out the basic fundamentals of a proper training and maintenance structure then you are letting down those who have given 100% for you.

On the ramp at EMA last night the word from the RM is that they are pulling some of the contracts already and that Central Control had one of its worst nights in 25 years, what any other customer must think is probably exactly the same.

I dont really think anyone is saying 'I told you so' but if you look at the facts the management (non flying) really have let everyone done very badly.

Emeroid Eng
5th May 2006, 09:25
Its all very well speculating, does anyone actually know what's going on.

Yak97
5th May 2006, 09:25
A concern must be that, all things being equal Emerald can get over their problems and get their AOC back, what work will they still have?

Emerald's operation of 11 748's & 5 SD3-60's is a big hole to fill.

Until recently the UK supported a variety of cargo airlines: Atlantic, Air Contractor, BAC, Channex, Emerald, Streamline & Titan, with other airlines doing the odd bit (Aurigny, BMI).

Now, with Emerald out of the picture, there is really only Atlantic Airlines, who tend to go for the larger aircraft (ATP, L188) while Air Atlantic seem to be using their ATR's on passenger operations (Sub's and their new schedule). Air Contractors, now an Irish company, seem to be mainly a Fedex contractor. Will they get the F27's back in the air or use some of the extra ATR42's? Titan are down to just 1 ATR42, Channex are now a 737 only operator on those freight routes they still run, while AUR are doing a bit with their ATR72's but must still support their core passenger operation ex GCI. Streamline was taken over by Emerald some time ago.

So Emerald customers (the Royal Mail & courier companies) will have to move quickly to get capacity in to operate their flights. However once these alternative operations are underway, what's the chance of the work going back to Emerald when they get their AOC back?? Customers like RM & courier companies I presume would not react well to being dropped in the sh1t.

Phileas Fogg
5th May 2006, 09:32
There is nothing, one presumes, to prevent Emerald from bringing in third party aircraft to operate their services and to maintain their contracts thus in theory Emerald can continue to operate, just not their own aircraft.

Yak97
5th May 2006, 09:40
While that would probably work for passenger operations, Emerald's customers a bit more 'savvy' than that and I would expect them to want to control their suppliers directly.

Also their would be the financial implications for Emerald, i.e upfront payments for third party carriers, while still having to suffer performance penalties??

Phileas Fogg
5th May 2006, 09:59
Emerald have been subbing in freighters for years, Channex F27's and some Antonovs just for starters.

Night Freight 1
5th May 2006, 10:17
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=675052006

Doctor Cruces
5th May 2006, 10:52
Sympathy to the many good folk who work there. There were certainly many in my time who gave their utmost DESPITE higher management not BECAUSE OF.

If their crew records are in a mess it will be because they can't keep staff, ditto Ops. Anyone tries hard, u know who gets rid of them. Abusing staff is not the way forward.

I sincerely hope this Phoenix rises from the ashes, but if it does I would suggest radical amputation of the senior management and get someone in who knows not only what they're doing but how to achieve it without regular whippings and "morale boosters" from MOB.

Regards and Luck to all

Doc C.

J4007
5th May 2006, 11:19
I am so glad that pprune exists, otherwise I would have no idea that the company I work for are in major trouble. I finished work a few days ago and I am due back in tomorrow. Wondering when they will call?

I would like to know if the CAA can turn a decision like this around in a day? Do they work weekends? I think I know the answer as they are a Government body aren't they? (10 working days.....Computer says No..You've got the wrong department)...So familiar!

I am waiting and wondering with my fingers and toes crossed!!!

SATCO
5th May 2006, 11:20
To pick up on the mismanagement element, I couldn't agree more. Without assassinating anyone or any one thing at JEM, I have to say that at a recent meeting I had with them, it all seemed very unstructured and 'all muck in' - not an ideal way to run the show; seems to have worked up to now but the proof of the pudding has clearly shown with the suspension of the AOC. Chap I spoke to told me he was in a post he really didn't want and it had kinda been forced on him. Not conducive to morale; not a contributor to a successful undetaking. Ergo!

SATCO

Mr Angry from Purley
5th May 2006, 12:38
DOC C
I can't imagine the CAA pulling an AOC because Emeralds crew records are a mess (who says they are). If there have been breaches forced by lack of crew (aka Commercial pressure) then thats another case. The original post was something to do with Line Checks not being in order.
Also the CAA wouldnt "pull" an AOC lightly, when is the last time an AOC was pulled??? :\

EI-CGO
5th May 2006, 12:39
It seems that the SD3-60's are also being moved to BLK where a meeting is to be held this afternoon with crew, I guess the CAA must have given them dispensation to do this, or can they posn non public transport outwith the AOC in this situation???

I guess more will come to light later today after this meeting.

The Scottish RM contracts from Aberdeen have 'apparently' been awarded to another operator, for a 2 week period and will no doubt go out to tender after that, and various AN26's are being brought in by others to pick the pieces up tonight, my contact advises me that the RM are not inviting Emerald to cover flights with AN26's etc, and last night will probably not be forgotten for a very long time by those who had a few hours notice to pick up the pieces, the charter brokers will be rubbing their hands with glee

Indeed NO UK carrier benefits from this as the influx of cheap aircraft from Eastern Europe instigated by the charter brokers could change the ball game for many many years to come, and thats a very very depressing prospect for those of us making our living flying the post.

BRISTOLRE
5th May 2006, 12:55
highly unlikely that this will get turned around very quickly. Its a serious matter. I hear Eastern Airways has picked up some work already.

Charter Guy
5th May 2006, 12:57
I heard the CAA pulled the AOC because of a few reasons - one being that the third aircraft in the space of two months ran off the end of the runway.

And you're right - us charter brokers are rubbing our hands in glee!

Doctor Cruces
5th May 2006, 13:07
Mr Angry,

Crewing WAS mentioned earlier on in this thread, just picking up on that as it was ALWAYS crewing or ops fault. No matter that both crewing AND ops had said "we can't do it", the idiot at the top STILL sold the flight and left the rest of us to try and beg, borrow , steal and promise our sister to the devil to get something done. Mayhap that's not the reason, but a "Crew Duty Hours" complete c*ck-up was always only a slip of the pen away.

I don't think I intimated that the CAA pull AOCs lightly either, where d'you get that idea? If the CAA pull an AOC its very serious and seriously considered. I for one am not surprised the CAA have considered them "Unsafe to fly" (to quote the Scotsman), only surprised that it took so long.

Flame me if you wish, just a personal viewpoint and I STILL wish every one of the worker bees at Emerald well for the future.

Doc C

Edited to get the quote right

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
5th May 2006, 13:31
Emerald have been subbing in freighters for years, Channex F27's and some Antonovs just for starters.

Looks like they are subbing in F-27s tonight for some routes.

It's all very well saying they can continue as a business by subbing other aircraft in, but when those aircraft are bigger and more expensive than those which you used to operate, you start to have a problem unless more cargo is available to be carried.

SATCO
5th May 2006, 13:50
No matter that both crewing AND ops had said "we can't do it", the idiot at the top STILL sold the flight and left the rest of us to try and beg, borrow , steal and promise our sister to the devil to get something done.

Here, here, Doctor C!

The more you're seen to cope in the adversarial arena, the more the big boys question "well there's nothing wrong is there, you manage any other day of the week"

Another boardrooms and balance sheets scenario. Too late now though.

Phileas Fogg
5th May 2006, 14:27
Every airline that I have worked for has cut corners in one shape or form but never should cutting corners become a daily routine of life, I believe that is the core of the problem!

sufferingspouse
5th May 2006, 14:35
Whilst all you operators out there are rubbing your hands with glee and thinking about all the lovely money you will be making think about all the innocent people such as wives and children who will be affected if Emerald do not manage to get their AOC back.

I was gutted last night at the thought that I may lose may home because of this.

I hope from the comment made by the CAA in the Scottish Press Article that it is not a forgone conclusion that this is permanent and I hope that MOB can move forward with the CAA to turn the company back on the right track.

I for one will be spending another sleepless night!!!

Night Freight 1
5th May 2006, 14:42
It seems that the SD3-60's are also being moved to BLK where a meeting is to be held this afternoon with crew, I guess the CAA must have given them dispensation to do this, or can they posn non public transport outwith the AOC in this situation???

What meeting I havent heard anything can you please post details ?

SATCO
5th May 2006, 14:44
sufferingspouse I promise you I'm racked off for you over this affair. I hope things sort swiftly; redundancy sucks - been there, done that et al.

But the reality is that this mess should never have been allowed to start, or once started, to continue.

As I said earlier, my recent experience with JEM was too much "we're all in it together and we just pull through by the skin of our teeth every day".

Not a good omen for business. Somebody's got to be held to account for this.

Daede1
5th May 2006, 14:55
Whilst the airline is grounded, i think you chaps (and ladies) need to realise that there are very few 748 pilots left, and as such should these be sold on, theres only you bunch that can fly them.
As well as that, the only place capable of maintaining them to any decent standard is the Emerald engineering dept.
Whilst i dont know the exact background behind the withdrawal of AoC, i very much doubt it would be because of a trivial reason that could be rectified in a couple of days. I think to be realistic, this will either take the airline off the market for a month or so, or permanently.
You should also probably factor in the commercial damage this will have done - leaving it until the last moment to tell your largest client (RM) that you have no AoC is not the basis for an ongoing relationship. The cleverer thing to have done would be to sub in aircraft there and then, and advise your clients of the situation, whilst assuring them that they will have their contracted uplift etc etc.
Operationally speaking, the airline would still have been grounded, but would have continued to generate revenue, keeping the bank happy. Without the ability to demonstrate the company is a going concern and not a 'car on bricks' the various VC's, banks and financiers cheque books will be firmly shut.
Its easy for me to sit on the sidelines and point out all the deficiencies in MoB and AJ, but that really does not accomplish much, or give the Emerald boys much comfort.
Fingers crossed that they pull through it, but i would not hold my breath this time.

Doctor Cruces
5th May 2006, 15:08
Whilst the lucky ones of us who are no longer with the mobster can sit outside and say "we're not surprised", I agree with sufferingspouse.

Like satco, been redundant, worried about mortgage etc.

All sympathy to Emeralds staff now.

Doc C

Black Knat
5th May 2006, 16:10
Sorry to the guys at Emerald-you've been let down and I wish you well. Out of interest, who is covering the BOH based contracts in the mean time?

Night Freight 1
5th May 2006, 16:43
I have worked for Emerald for a good many years now and as many of you know Emerald has been run on rumour and hearsay. And even now in what could potentially be the last few days of Emerald as a company the rumours and hearsay are still flying about.

From what I know for a fact is that the AOC has been suspended and that’s all I know.

What I find appalling is yet again the lack of information from the company, it is now 24 hrs since we heard that the AOC had been pulled and yet the powers that be have still not sent a NOTAC out explaining the situation in full this is absolutely diabolical.

All the loyal employees deserve an explanation as to why the AOC was pulled and what the future holds in store for them.

So come on Emerald please do the decent thing we have the company email system up and running so please use it.

OPSQUEEN
5th May 2006, 20:15
NIGHT FREIGHT 1

Please note that all crew members are being informed on an individual basis by Management. This is an internal matter and does not constitute a NOTAC being raised which, if you are an aircrew member, you should know - rather worrying if you dont know what a NOTAC actually means.

sufferingspouse
5th May 2006, 20:27
Good evening Opsqueen ... and do you know when individual crew members will be told ? Told earlier in the evening to keep checking the e mails but nothing is appearing ... I think all employees would really like to know what is happening .... you are right in saying this is internal .. but it is now looking at falling into public arena as no one is being told anything and this rumour network appears to running rife

Night Freight 1
5th May 2006, 20:50
NIGHT FREIGHT 1

Please note that all crew members are being informed on an individual basis by Management. This is an internal matter and does not constitute a NOTAC being raised which, if you are an aircrew member, you should know - rather worrying if you dont know what a NOTAC actually means.

Ops Queen
I am more than aware what a NOTAC is maybe you could tell me when I am going to be informed ?

Germstone
5th May 2006, 20:56
current scene at blackpool

http://www.btinternet.com/~poolfc/JEM_DR_050506.jpg

Sensible Bod
5th May 2006, 21:03
Well my first post, a short military experience should tell me how it should be run, but guys come on this is the real world. Where should I start:
Not only the sky jockeys (perhaps the guys that the gov. paid to train and then bailed out to go commercial) work long hours, but what about crewing and ops the abused and used, who have kept emerald going for many years, these people are the backbone of any company. I know that without fast intelligent ex fighter pilots the freight business would be at a loss. So all the back stabbers who have left because they can't hack it or have been sacked give it a rest and get on with what you're supposed to be doing at work, keep the shed you're working for alive it will pay your mortgage.
Regards
Sensible Bod ex 33 Sqd.

hushkit77
5th May 2006, 21:15
I reckon thats quite a sad sight above there!!

CAP509castaway
5th May 2006, 21:29
My Heart bleeds at the sight of these budgies stranded at BLK.I speak as a veteran of 5 years employment. The finger of blame points directly at the man at the top, NOT the MOB, like everyone else he was only doing what he was told to do.

J4007
5th May 2006, 21:54
" NOT the MOB, like everyone else he was only doing what he was told to do.
pleeeeeeeeeeeeese do you think he let AJ know what was going on you people really must be wearing blinkers or sucked in by MOBs bullsh-- .How many times did you hear " new manager he will sort it it out " 2 months later gibbering wreck like the last 16 managers i had in 9 years people people people listen only one man to blame MOB no one else i.ll spell it again
MOB

Ever considered anger management??? you obviously worked for Emerald at some stage of your life, and obviously that stage is over now. So although you relish in this setback, your comments are not constructive to those of us who are worried about tomorrow and the next day and the next day after that!!!

Those concerned are fully aware of Emeralds operating procedures so what is your point besides character assassination?

well hung ops gimp
5th May 2006, 22:26
angry yes because one individual is responsible for so many and he could not give a sh-- and you still defend him .When this all turns out to be not just another "it will be ok " but the final staw just remember who said strung you along with all the crap and false promises.Angry because you really do not understand what has just happened neither does he i suspect but you will look back it will be the same as when youe asked where were ou when kennedy was killed " where were you when emerald sunk"

Say again s l o w l y
5th May 2006, 22:27
Cut the bullsh*t chaps, this is definately not the time or place for any kind of gloating. There's far too many people worried about their futures at the mo'.

I'm no fan of MOB's (infact, if he was on fire the only way I'd p*ss on him would be if I'd been drinking petrol.) but whilst he's a major reason for the current problems, I very much doubt whether AJ can shirk all of the blame.

If anyone can seriously believe that the owner of a company doesn't know what's going on, then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Unfortunately, with all the a/c being shoved about last minute like this, this doesn't seem like a short-term problem, unless they are going to use this "break" to get all maintenance up to date..... (Pigs have just been reported sprouting wings in my local area you see.)

Luckily it seems as if quite a few chaps have recently got jobs elsewhere. I hope all the others sort themselves out soon.

SM82
5th May 2006, 22:31
I have only just learned about this and very shocked. As a former ops bod a few years ago the atmosphere has got worse rather than better from what i have heard. I do find it a disgrace that the company have not officially mentioned anything yet.

So what happens now ? Are office staff sent home?

I really wish everybody concerned the best and hope everything works out ok.

SM82
5th May 2006, 22:53
Nothing much that nobody doesnt really know already but here is a link from the BBC ref Euromanx's flights from LPL to IOM. Euromanxs first flight from LPL on Saturday has been cancelled i assume because of the JEM's ATP not available to operate the flight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/isle_of_man/4978210.stm

niknak
6th May 2006, 00:18
Emerald have been on the go for years, so the more experienced staff don't need my advice.
But just in case, it's very obvious that the company will not fly again, there are many vacancies for both pilots and engineers at the moment, so get the CVs off to whoever you'd like to work for and even to those you don't.

Speculitive applications often lead to unexpected offers.

All the best to everyone.:ok:

Unionjet28
6th May 2006, 02:12
Evening all,

I'm not going to claim to be personally privvy to the goings on at Emerald, but as someone who has been through the whole airline shutdown mill on a previous occasion (and I know of someone at Emerald for whom this would be turn number 3), I wish you all the very best of luck.

well hung ops gimp (god, feels disturbing actually typing that out ;) ) while I realise you have previous experience of this company, and I have heard many things similar to what you mention, please understand there are a bunch of staff, many of whom will be your former colleagues, not knowing for sure where the next paycheque is coming from, who at least for now, really dont want to be part of the whole "who is to blame" arguement. There will be plenty of time for that later!

I say this not as a criticism of you mate, but just from personal experience of working for an airline that many in the industry knew would fail and despite us coming so close to success, eventually did. That didnt stop me or my colleagues from putting in 110% every day to make it work and the last thing you want to hear on the day it all ends is that your efforts were doomed from the start.

Again, best of luck to you all: a bunch that have been through so many operational "challenges" will surely be snapped up by other airlines!

And finally: a big shout out to that babduck........;)

dada
6th May 2006, 06:17
Its a shame for the troops for sure, we all no who too blame.
perhaps the caa have realised i was always right in what i always said
emerald - a right shower of s!"£t.

fantaman
6th May 2006, 09:11
Hi Guys,

I come in peace from the mil forum. Sad news for the guys and gals at Emerald. Its always ashame to see an old airline die, hope you guys all find work again real soon.

Best of luck!

Fantaman :ok:

one dot right
6th May 2006, 09:43
It wasn't Emerald itself that was "a right shower of s!"£t. " just the man at the top who blamed everyone but himself.No doubt he's still doing so!:yuk:

EI-CGO
6th May 2006, 10:04
People have every right to be angry but when this sort of thing happens the fault can only be put at the door of the Accountable Manager.

Any operator that has a proper Quality Auditing system and hold both Management Evaluation and Flight Safety Meetings on a regular basis (Neither involing any expense to the operator providing they employ both Flight Safety Officer and a Quality Manager) should be able to spot flaws in training or engineering resulting in non conformaties being dealt with before the Authority ever need to be involved, in fact if you follow this process you stand in better shape with the authority because they see that you are self regulating yourself.

In my experience of the Authority and FOI's I have always found them to be helpful and responsive if you follow the basic principles that you yourself set out in your Part A and Quality Manual, after all these are a statement of intent from the operator (not the authority) and if you do not follow your own manuals you really cannot blame the Authority for any action they may take.

At every stage of a Quality process and any audit carried out by the authority direct feedback to the Accountable Manager is undertaken so there is no excuse for action that has not been taken, if those under the AM cannot complete the tasks then others must be brought in to do it and if not that again is the responsibility of the AM.

No one is gloating over this whole issue, but Emerald employees should be asking serious questions of why the Accountable Manager of an organisation of this size has allowed his AOC to be revoked, it is fairly unpresidented in recent times and can only be as a result of the basic principles of holding an AOC being seriously neglected.

Maintrol Muppet
6th May 2006, 11:27
MOB need's to let the men and women, who have strived to try and keep this Airline going, in on what's going on... It' what a good manager would do!!!!
:confused:

Germstone
6th May 2006, 11:42
MOB need's to let the men and women, who have strived to try and keep this Airline going, in on what's going on... It' what a good manager would do!!!!
:confused:

see thats where it falls down...you said GOOD manager didnt you

Phileas Fogg
6th May 2006, 12:31
Well my first post, a short military experience should tell me how it should be run, but guys come on this is the real world. Where should I start:
Not only the sky jockeys (perhaps the guys that the gov. paid to train and then bailed out to go commercial) work long hours, but what about crewing and ops the abused and used, who have kept emerald going for many years, these people are the backbone of any company. I know that without fast intelligent ex fighter pilots the freight business would be at a loss. So all the back stabbers who have left because they can't hack it or have been sacked give it a rest and get on with what you're supposed to be doing at work, keep the shed you're working for alive it will pay your mortgage.
Regards
Sensible Bod ex 33 Sqd.

I'm still trying to figure out how a short and non commercial military experience should tell one how to run a commercial airline :)

In the military, under the official secrets act, one is not allowed to talk about their duties or the nature of their business and everything is funded by the tax payer. Perhaps that is the card that JEM are playing, let's keep everything a secret, that's how the military do it!

Fast intelligent ex fighter pilots and the freight business would be at a loss without them, mmmm, I'll reserve judgement on that one :)

jemgirl
6th May 2006, 14:02
does anyone have a clue if we have jobs.?? cabin crew have been told we're off till further notice but will still get paid. how true that is i dont know! I find it shameful that none of the management have issued any sort of notice. as usual we're left to worry about what the future holds at emerald.I haven.t slept for 2 nights. MOB stop treating us like mushrooms!........ Kept in the dark and fed a load of sh..t! We deserve better. :confused: :{

MRDART
6th May 2006, 14:08
As long as I´ve been in the freight game they have said that Emerald is going down any time now (started in freight 5 years ago)...
Hope things will turn out good have friends there right now who dont´t know what to do....

lukeylad
6th May 2006, 14:24
there was a AN-12 in at ncl yesterday working on behalf of aircontractors it was noted as turning north after take off, may be she was been used to cover the gap left by emerald.

Wedgehog
6th May 2006, 14:43
Welcome to the real world, I have had three airlines close on me during my time and they never gave me any information before, during or after.
I pitched up for work at one of them and found the doors locked and all the aircraft gone. If any of you think A.J and Mob give a flying **** about any of you, you need you’re heads testing. Doesn’t the way you have been treated during the time you worked there tell you that? It’s all about making money, and not for you.
All they will be doing is damage limitation and making sure that if they can’t save Emerald they will not have to worry how they pay their mortgages or where the next meal comes from, and what is the absolute minimum they can get away with paying you.
Mind you I doubt they have mortgages, all you’re, and for a few years, my hard work has seen to that. I could rant on about what I think about MOB and how he is the most detestable person I have ever met and that he hasn’t got the slightest inkling about person management or human communication skills but you all know that for yourselves. Believe me, if it is gone for good, while you are all upset at the moment, in six months time you will all be saying that it was the best thing that ever happened to you, and when you are working for a proper Airline you will look back on how that piece of sh** treated you and wonder how the hell you put up with it. As for some of the **** some of you ex military farts are spewing out, I will be glad when you lot are all gone from this industry. I am ex 85 squadron, but I made damn sure I didn’t turn into one of you lot you pompous arrogant asses. What the hell have intelligent fast fighter pilots got to do with what these people are going through? The one person saying it as it is and talking sense is well hung ops gimp.

Maintrol Muppet
6th May 2006, 15:19
see thats where it falls down...you said GOOD manager didnt you
I've never considered the MOBster a good manager, but he could have redeamed himself just a little. The people working at Emerald are, what I concider, some of the best in the industry. Just a shame that the company was run into the ground by the CEO and a bunch of bean counting gob sh*tes.

I hope all the good people there go on to bigger and better things, if indeed this is the end of what could have been a good thing.
:ok: Good luck y'all!!!!

Germstone
6th May 2006, 15:23
I havve heard some engineering contractors have only received part payments for work carried out...not a good sign as thus far payments have been in full and on time

hec7or
6th May 2006, 15:37
What did you fly? The Bristol Ferranti Bloodhound, or something even older?

Having been through all this recently, I think it's fair to assume the jobs have gone and you need to file against Emerald for unfair dismissal and claim for pay in lieu of notice which is paid by the Government. Get the union involved, they will claim on your behalf.

Get the CVs out, don't waste any time.

Good Luck! Once you've flown in daylight, you won't want to go back!

Wedgehog
6th May 2006, 15:49
he he, no not quite. Canberra

jemgirl
6th May 2006, 16:45
HE7OR WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR NOT IN A UNION. NONE OF THE GIRLS HAVE BEEN IN TH IS POSITION BEFORE AND DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO TURN! ANYONE NEED A CLEANER? LEAST I'VE STILL GOT A SENSE OF HUMOUR. JUST!!!!!!! :ugh:

SM82
6th May 2006, 18:04
Does anybody think MOB will ever be able to work for another airline if JEM does go down? Do you think he will even have the cheek to apply for another airline posistion?

Wedgehog
6th May 2006, 18:23
I would like to think he would end up sitting on his barrow thinking "**** what have I done. If only I had teated at least one person like a human being he might give me a job". :p Trouble is after all these years of being AJ's henchman I doubt he would need another job. "Shut you're mouth, cop my wedge" Remeber that?

Maintrol Muppet
6th May 2006, 18:32
I havve heard some engineering contractors have only received part payments for work carried out...not a good sign as thus far payments have been in full and on time

Some have been payed a week or so late, and some haven't been payed, from what I can gather.... (I've been payed late, so I've been told, have got to go the bank check). There are two agency's, so there may be delays within each. Both agency's have pulled their men out.
As for the permanent line engineering staff...... they are still non the wiser..... no formal managmet responce as yet!!!!!!!
They have been told to report to work as normal, but for what reason? No aircraft to work on. This would be the ideal time to get ahead with the maintenance program, even if the aircraft might not be flying for the same company.
Only time will tell.... Let's hope next week we will all be a little wiser!!!
But something tells me we it will still be mushroom time.
Keep your chin up boys.... and don't let them keep you hanging, get your CV's out now.....:suspect:

perky percy
6th May 2006, 20:54
For all of you who feel the need to shout about whatever "issues" you have with either Mob or Emerald please spare a thought for those who are currently employed by the company. Everyone knows its an airline which isnt conventionaly run, but those who are inlolved in the day to day running ie ops, crewing and engineering put in all they can to try to keep it afloat. So please keep your opinions to yourselves and try to at least give some support to everyone at Emerald. Wishing you all the best of luck.

Say again s l o w l y
6th May 2006, 21:50
Unfortunately I can't see a way back for Emerald from this. The contracts will be gone and unless there is a major change in the management (specifically FOD) then there is no way they'll get their AOC back any time soon.

I imagine the bank is now pulling the strings and I can't see how it won't end up in administration or chopped up to feed their share-holders.

Sounds bleak, but this is no time for false hope.

When was the last time anyone heard of the CAA pulling someones AOC indefinately? Pretty serious stuff and they must have a load of evidence to make this move.
The CAA cover their own ar*e first, so its not something that could be fixed by a bit of tinkering.

Anyone up for a rescue package?

Backoffice
7th May 2006, 00:02
Give the dog a bone....
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/factor200606.pdf:hmm:

silverhawk
7th May 2006, 06:44
About 1992 or so, there was a small outfit called Janes. They operated Heralds and 748s. Collapsed due to financial trouble, but very soon re-emerged as a new company. Most staff re-employed in new venture doing the same job. Is this history about to repeat itself?

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 07:01
QUOTE Those concerned are fully aware of Emeralds operating procedures so what is your point besides character assassination
Well if your aware of the operating procedures why are you suprised its come to this ? I,m not relishing this at all i still have good friends who still work there and still at this time in the story they are still none the wiser.Well at least they will not have to clean the toilets anymore (yes ops staff cleaning toilets since the cleaners quit months ago !! wonder why £) .As for character assassination well i,m sure MOB will put you up when your house is repossessed what do you think?. Biggest mistake emerald made was going into europe the premier league with a divsion 4 manager it was never going to work. Top men in TNT ect do not suffer idiots lightly well you know the rest
and guess who got the blame ? yes your OPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not describe a geriatric turbo-prop, short haul, freight operation on the close continent as being anywhere near entering the premier league, perhaps to an Emerald worker it may seem like the premier league but it ain't.

One might describe the premier league as a global passenger operation that offers first, business & economy classes utilising a fleet of modern wide bodied jets.

If one thinks Emerald were anywhere near the premier league then one needs to dream on!

Emerald were operating on the close continent as long ago as the early 1990's.

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 08:56
Ops Gimp,
No I didn't miss the point regarding a 4th division manager but if you think that Emerald are, or ever have been, anywhere except in the 4th division, or indeed the Hawker Siddeley conference, then you're the one that's missing the point.

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 10:05
I recall when they picked up a Saturday inbound to NCL and there was the regular Sunday departure from NCL. 'THE CREW WILL NOT OVERNIGHT IN NCL, WE WILL NOT PAY HOTAC' came the order.

Well 2 hire cars NCL/LPL/NCL @ something like GBP25.00 each + GBP35.00 in fuel was more of an expense than 2 hotel rooms at something like GBP30.00 each.

Talk about dealing with idiot's!

Trill_Flyer
7th May 2006, 10:48
I am amazed that even now that no-one has bothered from management at any level to inform the crews why the AOC has been pulled? Reference was made in a thread that Emerald had lost their AOC and the staff would be informed the following day. This read as though as it was posted by Emerald Management.

What is the likely time period going to be before we know if jobs are lost, the company may be reborn as suggested in an earlier thread, the AOC is resumed or honestly do we just need to start sending out the CV's.:{

Come on MOB we all know you look at this site. How about telling the Staff whats going on. All crews have company e-mail access. Some news is better than no news.:confused:

Satanabduljabar
7th May 2006, 10:49
Silverhawk,

I certainly hope so!

Germstone
7th May 2006, 10:53
Phileas Fogg

dealing with idiots..?

too true

look at the adoption of the ATP Emerald could have got the ex british regional ATPS at a price but at least these were already on the british register with all current mods and ready to go.

.....but instead decided to go stateside with a desert rescue of the stored ex united aircraft because apparently it would be cheaper?

turned out going over budget and timescale....more money lost.

The turning point and one of the reasons emerald is where it is today is the poor adoption of the ATP aircraft into the fleet.

Whilst emerald was operating solely the shorts and budgie it was making money.

San Expiry
7th May 2006, 10:56
'but those who are inlolved in the day to day running ie ops, crewing and engineering put in all they can to try to keep it afloat.'

As an outsider looking in, perhaps that was the mistake all you good people made - bailing like hell while it was obvious to all that it was a rotten ship with, by all accounts, a dispicable and incompetent captain, sinking fast. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but perhaps you shoud have taken to the life boats a long time ago and let the ship sink and its captain with it.

Best of luck to all at Emerald.

SATCO
7th May 2006, 11:01
And to add insult to injury, potentially we're ALL suffering because there are still FPLs in TACT that haven't been CANX and this is surely giving an inaccurate traffic demand picture. There were plans yesterday and there are still some today. Not only has this JEM fiasco hurt physically (ie employees etc), it's also stinging mentally (vis-a-vis TACT expecting flights).

towser
7th May 2006, 11:37
Silverhawk. Althought not related to this topic directly I think you will find there were 2 companies back then. 1 called Janes Aviation and 1 called Janes Aviation (748). Janes operated the Heralds the other (obviously) the 748's. When they stopped operating the Heralds , not for financial reasons as far as I can remember Janes Aviation was wound up but Janes Aviation (748) continued. It was some time later subsequently re-named Emerald but again not for financial reasons.
On a seperate note hope it all works out for those involved.

Fred Shed
7th May 2006, 12:17
Doesn't matter what division you want to place Emerald in most of the girls and guys worked bloody hard to try and get the job done in a very difficult situation.
Too many managers came and went (good people) but not a pair of balls between them to stand up to the mob'ster.
The company has one big problem and when he's gone it will be a big weight lifted off the heads of those who remain.
All other problems can be overcome. Good luck guys, hang on in there.

Sure he reads the posts so "DO THE DECENT THING" bye bye "MATE"

Germstone
7th May 2006, 13:24
Janes aviation was basically wound up to get out of a particularly tight leasing agreement involving the herald aircraft.

i beleive they were leased from a scottish individual or company so therefore came under scottish law...i think even now its ongoing though not 100% sure.

diesel862
7th May 2006, 14:29
Hello

Even though I haven't been in the freight operations for a long time now I wish you all at Emerald the best of luck.

Who is this Mobster chap? Hope he don't join my airline!!!!
Once again best of luck.

diesel862.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 14:35
Who is this Mobster chap?
Commenting on this announcement Mick O'Brien (Chief Executive Officer for Emerald) said:
"At long last the Isle of Man has a genuine low-cost airline offering fantastic value-for-money fares. We were the airline that first brought real low fares to the Island in 1996, and we are now back in style with even lower fares than we sold 5 years ago! As with all low fares we strongly advise everyone to book as early as possible."

diesel862
7th May 2006, 14:42
Thanks Germstone,

diesel862

PS two flight plans for JEM were in CFMU ex EGHH-EGJJ today is this the fault with the flight planning system.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 14:44
PS two flight plans for JEM were in CFMU ex EGHH-EGJJ today is this the fault with the flight planning system.

yeah would think its a fault as i am aware that they are only getting one offs to position aircraft into EGNH

diesel862
7th May 2006, 14:47
Shame.

Well the CAA are not out to get airlines they do offer feedback and assistance, but as so many threads say the top man is not up to it.

diesel862

SM82
7th May 2006, 15:23
Thanks Germstone,
diesel862

Would imagine that they are RPL's that have not been cancelled.
Does anybody know if the JEM offices are closed at the moment?

Night Freight 1
7th May 2006, 15:34
As far as I know the offices have been open all the time and will cotinue to stay open

Delta Wun-Wun
7th May 2006, 16:08
Anybody know if we are still being paid??:(

Night Freight 1
7th May 2006, 16:31
As far as I know yes we are being paid. Check your company email

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2006, 16:41
I would assume you're all still being paid. The company has lost it's AOC, not been declared insolvent. (Yet.....)

From what I've been told, the reason for the AOC suspension is because of a lack of crew training, specifically after the 748 over-run incident and the fact that an ops inspector was on a flight when there was a problem and the crew didn't use the manuals to deal with it.
(Probably something that happened so regularily, that everyone knew the drills off by heart without reference to a QRH. If there was one on-board.)

Who's the mobster? Only the biggest t*sser I've ever met (and that really is saying something!) He knows full well who I am, so all I have to say to him is: You can't talk the talk, or walk the walk. Bully boy tactics are a total non-starter, but you were too stupid to realise it. Told you so...

He has a pathelogical hatred of Pprune and used to spend a lot of time trying to find out who posts here. Didn't do him much good in the end though!!

Chin up all, believe me in a few months time, you'll realise this is probably the best thing that ever happened to you. It certainly was for me, despite the ar*e ache at the time.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 17:07
my lasting impression and memory of the Mob was a total morale boosting session he had with one of the office girls...he reduced her to tears in a very short space of time over something that was mere trivia in the scheme of things.

I thought you C**T

I would like to see you try that on someone who would be willing to defend themselves both verbally and physically if required.

total bully boy though only willing to pick on people he knew he could

lagerlout
7th May 2006, 17:15
I would assume you're all still being paid. The company has lost it's AOC, not been declared insolvent. (Yet.....)
From what I've been told, the reason for the AOC suspension is because of a lack of crew training, specifically after the 748 over-run incident and the fact that an ops inspector was on a flight when there was a problem and the crew didn't use the manuals to deal with it.
(Probably something that happened so regularily, that everyone knew the drills off by heart without reference to a QRH. If there was one on-board.)
Who's the mobster? Only the biggest t*sser I've ever met (and that really is saying something!) He knows full well who I am, so all I have to say to him is: You can't talk the talk, or walk the walk. Bully boy tactics are a total non-starter, but you were too stupid to realise it. Told you so...
He has a pathelogical hatred of Pprune and used to spend a lot of time trying to find out who posts here. Didn't do him much good in the end though!!
Chin up all, believe me in a few months time, you'll realise this is probably the best thing that ever happened to you. It certainly was for me, despite the ar*e ache at the time.

Quick question for you Say again?? Why do you take such great satisfaction in this current situation?

The situation is terrible for those who are involved, people can argue about who did this wrong and who did that wrong but at the end of the day all we care about is who/what is going to pay the mortgage.

Baring in mind that you have moved onto greater things please keep thoughts where someone may apprecaite them...

Funnily enough you hardly left here in a blaze of glory yourself did you??? So if you don't mind can you go and rain on someone else's parade.

Much obliged!

Delta Wun-Wun
7th May 2006, 17:27
Read that.....so ...err....are we still being paid??

Night Freight 1
7th May 2006, 17:33
Dont know for sure but my guess is that as we ahve not been told otherwise then we still are.

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2006, 17:41
I take no joy from the downfall of Emerald. How could you? There are a lot of very worried people and I have every sympathy for them.

The only thing I'll enjoy is if MOB gets a kick in the ar*e and the show carries on rolling without him, but I very much doubt that'll happen.

I didn't leave under the best of circumstances, but at least I had the balls to stand up for myself and not give in to the enforced mediocrity at JEM. I thought the place was a hole, so I made my feelings clear.
To be honest I hated working there and didn't feel my life was worth risking for people like MOB.

Getting into knackered and usually unservicable a/c, going into poor weather with extremely poor training, no support, exhausted crews, engineers not allowed to buy parts and very harrassed head office staff. It's a miracle there weren't any disasters.
It's a testament to the quality of pilots that you did get home at the end of the day. (I am not being melodramatic, I actually did start to fear getting into some of the machines since you would never know what would go wrong next.)
The final straw for me was being handed a piece of paper from the fleet manager who'd flown the a/c before stating that it'd taken 5 attempts to get the gear down, but not to write it into the techlog as the schedule needed to be kept on track........ The next day I completed my last flight for Emerald.
I wasn't ever going to be put in that situation again. (Yes, the signed note was passed on the the FOI.)
I decided to do something about it and that was to get out whilst I still could.

It was however, refreshing to see the support from all my colleagues at the time......:yuk:
There were some notable exceptions, all of whom have left JEM and gone on to far better things.

So don't preach to me lagerlout. I got out with my record clean, a cheque in my hand and my conscience clear.

When I left over a year ago, the writing was very clearly written on the wall. I have expected this news for a long time and I don't even work there anymore.
What I'm saying on here is no secret, so take the time whilst you aren't working (but continuing to be paid) to go out and find another job. I did it without all the fanfare or tears. Sh*t happens and you just have to deal with it. It isn't pretty or nice and it definately isn't fair, but whinging won't help pay the bills.

Good luck all of you. (except MOB and AJ of course!)

lagerlout
7th May 2006, 17:46
No one is taking pleasure out of this and we all understand what the implications are for those involved .But you know why your in this position point your anger at him go on let it out .Yes many people have moved on and its then you realise exactly how bad this company is run and how bad you are treated .While working there you get a little imune to it so accept the sh-- .No is your chance as a company to oust him if you do get your AOC back then all staff should refuse to work until the mob is removed ? what do you have to lose

i dont think we are in any position to make any demads about the future of the compay if there is indeed to be a future.

What i do have a problem with is the likes of say again coming on with his two penneth worth... he has not earnt the right to bitch and moan. he was no sooner in the door than he was out of it when he had been figured out.

For those that have done their time i respect all that you have to say, without necessarily agreeing with it and we all apprecaite your support. But say again has not got a leg to to stand on, marched out before he even got wet behind the ears, yet of course he knows emerald best.?????

Like i say he is only here to say i told you so, unfortunately we all stopped listening too him along time ago!

peace out!

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 18:07
I left Emerald, the first time around, on the very best of terms, my time there, pre MOB days, had been thoroughly enjoyable but that time had merely been a stopgap in my career however I left with very happy memories.

The second time around, a number of years later, I was welcomed back with open arms, the first few months went fine but then the idiot of an OM, he that was accused of stealing milk by MOB and he that was more interested in surrounding himself with pretty girlies than running an Ops department, decided to start treating me like a kid and without due respect.

That was when I called it a day and despite the latter 'bad taste in one's mouth, I remain with some fond memories and I for one am not enjoying or indeed relishing the current state of affairs.

Good luck to all.

Trill_Flyer
7th May 2006, 18:10
To all fellow colleagues check your company e-mail.

Night Freight 1
7th May 2006, 18:17
Yipeeeeeeeee what a great statement well worth waiting 3 days for :yuk:

sufferingspouse
7th May 2006, 18:21
To all fellow colleagues check your company e-mail.

yippeee .... I'll get straight onto it

sufferingspouse
7th May 2006, 18:23
Yipeeeeeeeee what a great statement well worth waiting 3 days for :yuk:

Yup .. .... but wont it get all the others not working for Emerald now wondering what it said !!!!!!:)

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2006, 18:26
I didn't earn the right!!.......
I'm sorry I'll just stop laughing at that one. How was I "found out"?
I made it very obvious what I thought was going on and what my opinion was. If you can't do that, then I don't want to be part of it. I would never keep silent when there are issues that need addressing. Working in a climate of fear is not what life in this industry is supposed to be about. If things are unsafe, then it is your duty to speak up.
If you don't, then you are as bad as the person who put you in the pooh in the first place.

I earnt the right a thousand times over by going face to face with MOB and sticking to my principles as a professional.

I stayed for a short time (thank god) and was smart enough to realise that an extended stay somewhere like Emerald is actually a detriment to your career rather than a benefit.

The standards at JEM are well known in the industry and other companies take note of this. I myself couldn't believe the difference when I started doing other things. If you actually think that the standards shown in Emerald are acceptable elsewhere, then you've got a shock coming.

LL, I don't think you realise that if the company survives, then you will have to do something about the management. Otherwise this will start again. An employee buyout would be a possibility, but with everyone so fractured this would be very hard to sort out.

"I told you so" is not what I came on here to say, more it was a wish to (try) and offer my ex-colleagues some words of support. If you are too bitter towards me for whatever reason (I cannot imagine why?) to read what I have written properly, then I cannot be held accountable for your misunderstanding.

All I have posted is the truth as I see it. It may be unpalatable, but the reality is even less appealing. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

I really hope it does all work out for everyone, but I can't see it, but even if it goes t*ts up tomorrow, there are lots of jobs in all sectors of the industry at the moment. In 6 months time this will just be something to chalk up to experience.

I hope the e-mail is worth the wait!

Trill_Flyer
7th May 2006, 18:29
Do you want to share what the e-mail says with the rest of us? :)

Errrrrrrrr NO thats why it's on company e-mail. You know the phrase If I told you I'd have to k*ll You:mad:

dada
7th May 2006, 18:31
its a shame for all the troops - like others have said this will turm out to be the best thing ever to happen to MOST of you.
lets hope aj and his mrs h. have the sense to realise its all the fault of the mobster (!) unless aj has turmed into an arsehole like mob but i doubt it.
question - personally id like to see mob rot in hell but am curious - is there anybody, ANYBODY at all who has a good word to say about him. aviation is a small world and i hope there's no place in it for him from now on.

viewer
7th May 2006, 18:56
how can people be so sickening??

In all of the many years I have viewed MOB has never been anything other than dedicated and I support he will bring EA back for us, personal insults are sickening at a time like this - to him and his very beautiful young lady good luck and also to all of the others at EA!!!!!!!

OVER AND OUT !!!!

jemgirl
7th May 2006, 19:18
nightfreight 1 where in company email does it say we're still being paid?:confused:

Strontium Dog
7th May 2006, 20:09
It doesn't, but as that would be a massive change in our circumstances, you have to assume that we are, for now anyway...

That's my theory. :uhoh:

Possum3
7th May 2006, 20:34
Would deserves to be "Well Hung" Gimp kindly do us all a favour and please take some night school lessons on how to write and spell English.

Possum3

Germstone
7th May 2006, 20:49
I know for a fact that AJ was sent a letter circa 2-3 years ago from the then planning manager detailing explicitly how MOB was F**king the job up and also the way he treated his staff.

the letter made it to AJ he spoke to MOB, mob then came down on manager like a ton of bricks and said "no more letters to AJ...EVER"(shortened version expletives removed)

way i see it AJ knew...he didnt care as long as the job got done and he made money, he didnt care how.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 20:57
how can people be so sickening??

In all of the many years I have viewed MOB has never been anything other than dedicated and I support he will bring EA back for us, personal insults are sickening at a time like this - to him and his very beautiful young lady good luck and also to all of the others at EA!!!!!!!

OVER AND OUT !!!!

dedicated isn't a word i would use to describe MOB

consistent....probably

consistently abusive
consistently obnoxious
consistently not allowing people to get on with there work
consistently overselling capacity for little gain
consistently placing aircrew in awkward situations

viewer...i thing a more apt login for yourself would be blinkered

sufferingspouse
7th May 2006, 21:17
Would deserves to be "Well Hung" Gimp kindly do us all a favour and please take some night school lessons on how to write and spell English.

Possum3

Here Here !!!

But we must remember that his brains must be lower in his body than the rest of ours ... that must be why he is well hung ..

Sorry ops gimps... sorry ... I stand corrected ..... well hung ops gimp.... but the only stuff you have to say is abuse about management .. over and over again .... you have got out .. others havent .... but have given 110 percent in helping out ops and crewing to keep contracts going ..... and before you got out I am sure you were one of the ones that rang up asking for last minute favours ..... give us all a break ... doesnt matter how much slagging off u do .. we are going to have to live with the consequences of what happens with this Company and I told u so and this has been a long time coming helps no one in this situation !

I am one of the long suffering supporting spouses that gets waken up in strange hours of the morning .. doesnt moan when family commitments get changed at the last minute ... and frankly am getting hacked off with some of the comments you are making .... I aplogise to the moderator for sounding off !!!!

ToneTheWone
7th May 2006, 21:27
Come on guys and gals lets not let this just turn into a MOB bashing session. When I flew for Streamline/Emerald I never had anything to do with the bloke but I know that there's no smoke without fire. Anyhow, it's not getting anybody anywhere and what's done is done.

Is there anything good that can be salvaged from this mess? Afer all there is a neich out there for a 'cut price' freigh operation in the UK. Maybe Kevin is thinking of something. Lets hope so because of all his faults he was in my opinion a good businessman. The old Streamline wasn't the greatest employer but it did give a large number of pilots a foothold in the industry.

My condolancies go out to all the employees of Emerald. A sad episode indeed.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 21:37
Maybe Kevin is thinking of something.
yeah at least he was approachable and would listen.
if he did set something up from the ruins of emerald that could be good.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 22:00
i think its safe to say that Emerald as an airline is now gone along with the jobs.

I really hope it isnt but you have to be realistic,what company in there right mind is ever going to allow Emerald to freight for them again when they have been let down so badly with little to no warning of there ability to carry out the flying programme last thursday.

shed loads
7th May 2006, 22:01
ToneThe Wone,
Hear, hear for Kevin. My understanding is that he had some kind of clause in the Streamline sale that should things fail....
If he is still keen, lets hope so for all of you.
I might even be tempted back into the fold myself.
Mind you, a pulled AOC can always be re-instated. It's not necessarily the end of the world.
Good luck guys and girls.

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 22:04
Gimp,
If things were as bad as you make them out to be then why on earth did you put up with it for 9 years, could it be that your lack of experience couldn't find you a proper job?

As soon as the sh1t started on my 2nd time around at Emerald, not from MOB who I hasten to add that I have never had a problem with, I promptly put my jacket on and went home, I found another job and started it within approximately 2 weeks?

The fool is the one who stays, the bigger fool is the one who stays for 9 years and then complains about it afterwards.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 22:10
Phileas

I dont know ops gimp but maybe like me he enjoyed the work and thought emerald could be a good outfit.

notice my use of the word "could"

the grass roots staff were a fantastic bunch that came and went but it always seemed that the mis-management team was letting the side down miserably.

ToneTheWone
7th May 2006, 22:12
Shed Loads
Strange that, I was in talks with Emerald myself about going back. Funny how you remember the good bits and forget about the bad. Aviation has a way of getting in the blood. No disrespect to the people still waiting to hear their fates.

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 22:14
Germstone,
And how long did it take you to figure that out? I very much doubt that it took you 9 frigging years :)

Phileas Fogg
7th May 2006, 22:16
You were no doubt living with your parents at the time so no commitments.I,m not complaining about 9 years service just the way i was treated as i said before its not until you escape you realise how bad you were treated

First time around I was 36 y/o, second time around 42 ish y/o, I very much doubt that I was living with my parents and yes, i did/do have a mortgage etc.

Germstone
7th May 2006, 22:19
i did 5 years there

Germstone
7th May 2006, 22:21
Think back guys when that anouncment was made how you felt then

gutted and under valued

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2006, 23:14
If KH can put something together, it may well be one of the only hopes.

He's a hard business man, but seemed to know how to get the most out of people and let's face it, Streamline was a profitable concern until Emerald got hold of it.

How much did they pay? £5 mil? And in less than 4 years the fleet is half the size and falling apart and on the verge of disappearing for ever.

Could there be a white knight on the horizon? I don't know who'd they'd get who'd be brave (or daft) enough to take on the FOD's job. A poisioned chalice if there ever was and that's also dependant on the CAA approving the choice.

Does anyone know if Emerald are appealing the decision? I believe they have 14 days to do so.

OPFW
8th May 2006, 06:59
As far as I know they are lodgeing an appeal today. But quite who is heading the appeal I have no idea.

Doctor Cruces
8th May 2006, 08:31
Replying to Dada's post.

I have lots of good words for MOB, most of which you probably heard from me when I worked there and all of which are unprintable!!!

Doc C.

Fred Shed
8th May 2006, 08:35
Lets hope Kevin H does come to the rescue. A good business man who I have a great deal of respect for. If anyone can get back it back on track Keven can. He knew the value of his employees and you could always talk to him and he would always listen (might not agree) but he'd listen.
He gave me my first chance and Streamline was a happy place to work.
"HAPPY DAYS BUDDIES"
I'm sure he would get the support of the 'Emerald' team.

As for the appeal maybe the mob'ster is driving down to Gatwick with his baseball bat as we speak.

EI-CGO
8th May 2006, 09:46
Interesting to read that KH is back in the frame is there a possibility that money still owed for the Streamline takeover (alledgedly there are payments outstanding) could actually be Emeralds saviour ?

Oh incidently I fully expect Emerald to be back in the skies tonight or at the very latest tomorrow with a new Accountable manager at the helm.

You heard it here first:ok:

(MOB)
8th May 2006, 09:48
..................................... :)

Say again s l o w l y
8th May 2006, 09:59
EI, if that's the case, then that would be fantastic news. Emerald keeps going and MOB gets his marching orders....

Perfect!

Say again s l o w l y
8th May 2006, 10:37
Girlfriend? I thought he was married?... Or am I missing something?

sufferingspouse
8th May 2006, 10:44
Girlfriend? I thought he was married?... Or am I missing something?

I think viewer is taking the u know what .. wot tangled webs people weave!

Wedgehog
8th May 2006, 10:47
I think viewer is taking the u know what .. wot tangled webs people weave!

I don't think it's even worth responding to him, There’s always one isn’t there:rolleyes:

Delta Wun-Wun
8th May 2006, 10:53
Well whatever you think of the management I just hope that they can get the AOC back and we can just get back to work. Still no news.:(

SM82
8th May 2006, 14:16
Anybody any news on if they are any nearer to getting their AOC back for tonight yet?

Sensible Bod
8th May 2006, 14:27
You must be the Captain that got the sack from Flybe, for the tail scrape, then tried to blame it on the F/O! Then came begging me for you job back! Figher Pilots......... they are w......kers. Their egos are almost as big as mine......... almost :)Well MOB, I must have dream't the conversion course on to fixed wing, If my memory is as good as I think it is I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, although reading what some of your ex employee's are saying I would have certainly remembered such a "well mannered and kind man". No I'm certainly not a pilot, the commissioning board at Cranwell didn't like the school I went to so was only offered SNCO entry, those out there who know will get the gist. My flying hours were substantial with Her Majesty's airline. It does make me wonder though why so many people dislike you, is it because? your an entrepaneur, a risk taker, a man who gives 200% to any co he works for, or just because they are all jealous of your taste in women.

Wedgehog
8th May 2006, 14:34
Yo sensible bod, I don't really think MOB is MOB, I don't think MOB lives in Southend. I only know one person who does, and if it is him, then how are you doing mate. PM me

SM82
8th May 2006, 16:24
Still no flight plans filed for this evening so it dont look like they will be operating unless something changes very quickly. Any JEM ops/crewing bods got any news? Hope it gets resolved tomorrow.

Trill_Flyer
8th May 2006, 17:43
Still no flight plans filed for this evening so it dont look like they will be operating unless something changes very quickly. Any JEM ops/crewing bods got any news? Hope it gets resolved tomorrow.

I've just checked the company e-mail and nothing is on it YET! Although we have been sent some emCHIRP forms in hope of continued employment?

Perhaps we need to remember that this company pays our mortgages, provides money for our basic needs so that we can lead life style we choose.

I am amazed at reading the cheap shots some guys have been making over the last few days to settle up old scores, for one upmanship or trying to be clever. I frankly don't find this amusing at all. My livelihood is at stake. We all know by know what has caused this company to be subject to the CAA attention. I'm sure that you could find some other site to vent out your talents!

If anyone has any useful new information perhaps a lot of Emerald Crews, Engineers and Opps staff plus admin staff would like to know how their income is going to be affected! We are part of a team which should be pulling in the same direction.

Phileas Fogg
8th May 2006, 17:48
I think Trill Flyer might be suggesting that the CAA pull an AOC on the strength of what the CAA may read on Pprune.

These times they are a changing ..............

Say again s l o w l y
8th May 2006, 19:54
Trill with all due respect,

Nothing that has been posted on here is likely to have any bearing on what has happened or will happen in the future.
I very much doubt that any FOI takes any notice of an unattributable internet message board.

There has been some things that this board has been useful for. I have many times warned people against buying a type rating from Emerald, the most recent was less than a week ago. Hopefully that just helped to save someone a lot of money and heartache.

There is naff all any of us can say to make it any easier and the fact that you come onto PPRUNE searching for information about the future of your own company is indeed very worrying. It's not PPRUNE's job to help you through this, rather I would have thought the caring sharing management bods would be keeping you all appraised of the situation.

Oh I forget, they couldn't give a fat rat's clacker for what any of you are feeling at the moment, unlike many of us here.
We maybe powerless to help any of you, but you certainly have my best wishes for a successful outcome to this farce. (Not that it actually helps anyone pay their mortgage.)

cwllpl
8th May 2006, 20:12
Aurigny to operate some of the JEM mailers from LGW to LPL for the next week.

EI-CGO
8th May 2006, 20:36
Well the Accountable Manager has apparently now been sacked.

AJ will slot in as CEO and we await tomorrow who will take the Accountable Manager's role. My mole tells me one fleet will restart operations tomorrow must probably the SD3-60 although I think it remains to be seen how many routes will be viable after the fiasco.

Benair will certainly be operating the Scottish routes for the forseeable and that is a FACT, looks like some newspaper flights have gone to BAC who I hear are trying to bring into service some stored a/c to fill some gaps and are desprately trying to put some F27's back in the sky by all accounts

While it is EXCELLENT news that JEM will restart operations, just exactly what is left of their contracts to fly once the dust settles due to some astounding customer service neglect ?

Germstone
8th May 2006, 21:05
lots of activity around the Emerald facility at EGNH today.

Lots of men in suits??????

Mr Magoo
8th May 2006, 21:06
Any word on the ATPs yet?

Germstone
8th May 2006, 21:08
i beleive 2 ATPs are currently at Blackpool

Mr Magoo
8th May 2006, 21:14
The MRS freighter was positioned up to BLK last week.
Not sure what's covering the MRS route at the moment.
I'd guess there won't be much call for the two Pax machines now though :confused:

atpman
8th May 2006, 21:28
We need rated&current ATP crew (also interested in TRI/TRE), starting June, Europe based.
PM me if you're interested

Phileas Fogg
8th May 2006, 21:40
It would be my belief that MOB, whilst doing it in his own unique style, was doing as instructed from higher up. To cut corners, to not spend money etc. and his head has merely rolled in an attempt to get the airline in the air again.

Why do I say this, well back in 1994/95 during a night shift I chatted, for quite some time, with AJ. At that time there were 5 Ops D/O's and that was it and one D/O got the grand sum of GBP1,000.00 per annum extra for doing the crewing, i.e. the airline's crewing dept. ran to a budget of GBP1,000.00 per annum.

AJ couldn't understand why he needed to 'waste' a grand a year for crewing when the airline operated to a regular schedule. Well that really said it all and thereafter MOB rejoined the company, at the time as Ops Director, and I remain under no disillusion regarding what his instruction would have been, 'I don't care how you achieve it but don't spend any money'.

I don't care how unpopular this may make me but 'Good Luck MOB'.

perky percy
8th May 2006, 22:14
I don't care how unpopular this may make me but 'Good Luck MOB'.

At last someone who has the guts to wish Mob good luck, something which im sure some people will not agree with but as im sure a few people will agree with he cant be as bad as people make out or surely he wouldnt be the Ceo of what has been and im sure will be once again be a sucessfull airline??????

Say again s l o w l y
8th May 2006, 22:39
Let's have a look at this.

Took over as CEO (whatever sort of meaningless title it is) of a company that was making money.

A few years later that same company has botched up a new fleet acquisition so badly the banks come in.

A year later, the company has spent so much time worrying about the banks, it has forgotten about the CAA, oops......

A great track record I think you'll agree.

The ability to turn a profitable company into the present mess we see today, is not what I'd call competency, and at the end of the day as the boss it's all your fault.

I'm not going into character assassination again here, it's too easy and even if he were the nicest chap on the planet, the current debacle shows what a bad "leader" he really is.

Part of being a boss is ensuring you have the right tools, people and budget to do the job properly. Even if you have to fight for it from a board or an owner. As the "boss" you should be able to negotiate the necessary resources and you should NEVER let your company destroy itself in the way this has.

Germstone
8th May 2006, 22:44
say again

think that preety much sums it all up really

Phileas Fogg
8th May 2006, 22:48
Let's have a look at this.
Took over as CEO (whatever sort of meaningless title it is) of a company that was making money.
A few years later that same company has botched up a new fleet acquisition so badly the banks come in.
A year later, the company has spent so much time worrying about the banks, it has forgotten about the CAA, oops......
A great track record I think you'll agree.
The ability to turn a profitable company into the present mess we see today, is not what I'd call competency, and at the end of the day as the boss it's all your fault.
I'm not going into character assassination again here, it's too easy and even if he were the nicest chap on the planet, the current debacle shows what a bad "leader" he really is.
Part of being a boss is ensuring you have the right tools, people and budget to do the job properly. Even if you have to fight for it from a board or an owner. As the "boss" you should be able to negotiate the necessary resources and you should NEVER let your company destroy itself in the way this has.

And, honestly speaking, who do you believe was pulling the purse strings?

Wedgehog
8th May 2006, 22:50
What was the standard phrase again?

oh yes. "We wish you good luck in you're future career"

Life is sweet :)

Say again s l o w l y
8th May 2006, 23:20
AJ is probably as much to blame as anyone else, but never having met the chap I can't really comment on his role.

However, No matter how little money was available, there is no excuse for the sort of shenanigans that have been occuring. Emerald has always been penny shy and pound foolish. I couldn't believe the wasteage that went on every day, just because people were chasing their tails.

Add to that the unadulterated lies that were told to everyone. (Oh yes, we have got a dispensation on the use of hire cars before duty........) Then worrying about how much of a budget MOB had seems daft, since even if it'd been 10X whatever it was, then it would have been wasted anyway.

Tight purse strings or not, there was no need for the abuse and utter disregard for people that was shown on a daily basis, that is utterly unforgiveable. There is no justifying it no matter what pressure you are under.

HAWKER SID
8th May 2006, 23:58
Y'know what, Say Again? You're absolutely correct.

Now can we get down to the job in hand and see if we can't turn this round and have a much better airline out of it all? Could be done with the right management. Could make a shed load (or 748 load) of money if ran correctly. :ok:

Anything on co. email? :E

Night Freight 1
9th May 2006, 07:05
No nothing on the Co email yet.:confused:

Doctor Cruces
9th May 2006, 07:36
I don't think you'll find a tighter purse than MOL's purse, and look at his outfit!

Doc C

straightnotlevel
9th May 2006, 07:40
so the mobster.... gone?? how do we know that?
anybody know anything at all that isnt speculation or wishful thinking?
and put your handbags away ladies !!!

Phileas Fogg
9th May 2006, 10:41
I don't think you'll find a tighter purse than MOL's purse, and look at his outfit!
Doc C

MOL operates a fleet of very modern jetliners.

Trill_Flyer
9th May 2006, 11:20
I think Trill Flyer might be suggesting that the CAA pull an AOC on the strength of what the CAA may read on Pprune.

These times they are a changing ..............

No. I think the CAA would rather deal with facts, they love the paperwork or lack of it or out of date stuff. They are also mindful of hidden agendas.

The company e-mail to serving Emerald employees is still quiet!

Still waiting. But being a mushroom what do you expect:sad:

Lord luvaduck
9th May 2006, 11:46
I'm an interested observer in all this, who's just happened on this thread today. Can I just recap so that I'm sure I've got the story straight (it's a very long thread!)

1. Emerald lost its AOC last week and all the aircraft are parked up at BLK
2. No-one knows if/when it will be allowed to fly again
3. The company hasn't formally ceased trading and staff have (eventually) been told that they will still be paid
4. However the Mobster has been sacked and AJ is running the show

Phileas Fogg
9th May 2006, 11:56
I'm an interested observer in all this, who's just happened on this thread today. Can I just recap so that I'm sure I've got the story straight (it's a very long thread!)

1. Emerald lost its AOC last week and all the aircraft are parked up at BLK
2. No-one knows if/when it will be allowed to fly again
3. The company hasn't formally ceased trading and staff have (eventually) been told that they will still be paid
4. However the Mobster has been sacked and AJ is running the show

And, by all accounts, the company email notification (keep people informed) system is sh1te :)

jethro15
9th May 2006, 12:16
Emerald lost its AOC last week and all the aircraft are parked up at BLK
Not quite. As of Sunday last:-

http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/emerald_airways.htm

sufferingspouse
9th May 2006, 12:51
Interesting to read that KH is back in the frame is there a possibility that money still owed for the Streamline takeover (alledgedly there are payments outstanding) could actually be Emeralds saviour ?

Oh incidently I fully expect Emerald to be back in the skies tonight or at the very latest tomorrow with a new Accountable manager at the helm.

You heard it here first:ok:

Anything more to add from yesterdays post ?

I was hoping to hear the dulcet drones of aircraft tonight .. dont think it's going to happen now ! :{

turbotrash
9th May 2006, 12:56
http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/emerald_airways.htm

Heard the ATP in IOM & other aircraft parked away from BLK have been impounded by the relevant airport authorities for non-payment of fees, hence the reason that everything is not at BLK as yet. :uhoh:

ghost-rider
9th May 2006, 13:38
The CAA have ordered BLK airport authorities to slap official 'do not use this aircraft' type notices on all JEM a/c a BLK.

BLK are also looking at the lease details of JEMs hangar there.

Not looking good !

As an ex-JEM employee, good luck to all those still there.

Any truth in the rumured MOBs departure ?

Doctor Cruces
9th May 2006, 14:05
MOL operates a fleet of very modern jetliners.
I think that may have actually been my point!!

Doc C

:D

Plane As The Nose
9th May 2006, 14:31
:confused: I heard a rumour that MOB was on site today????
Has anyone spoken to KH?
I have also heard of more a/c being impounded

EI-CGO
9th May 2006, 15:29
Anything more to add from yesterdays post ?

I was hoping to hear the dulcet drones of aircraft tonight .. dont think it's going to happen now ! :{

It 'looks' like its going to be Thursday now, but one fleet if not two will be flying by the end of the week.

Looks like the RM may be forced into sticking with them on a reduced basis due to a lack of availability and more importantly suitability, but there will be contracts taken back and then put out to tender as punishment for the whole sorry affair which JEM will just have to accept or loose the whole lot.

Phileas Fogg
9th May 2006, 15:46
There ain't nothing dulcet about the drone of a Dart engine :)

sufferingspouse
9th May 2006, 16:09
There ain't nothing dulcet about the drone of a Dart engine :)

I think it sounds nice
:)

So EI-CGO any more news when staff and spouses will be put out of their misery ? such as which fleet/fleets will be back up and running

MOB P45
9th May 2006, 16:41
He cant be as bad as people make out or surely he wouldnt be the Ceo of what has been and im sure will be once again be a sucessfull airline??????

MOB is every bit as bad as ex-employees are saying! I've lost count of how many enthusiastic and capable managers, Ops guys, Training Captains, line pilots and rampies that were all eventually crushed by the realisiation that they were dealing with a poorly educated and socially inept jumped-up Loader that was interested only in always being in charge of everything, right down to the airside milk.
Everyone with a choice eventually left. MOB no doubt explaining to AJ that the recently departed was the cause of all the trouble, (But not explaining that he made their function impossible to carry out) but MOB would sort it all out. Those with no choice gave up trying.(Don't they call what MOB suffers from by the syndrome name of Munchausen by Proxy?) AJ is to blame and yes, it's his money that MOB has wasted yet again, but in doing so he screwed up yet another batch of genuine people along the way.
The fallout may continue even if the company manages a restart with less A/c and crews. If MOB has been sacked i am relieved beyond expression and i hope a way forward is found, whatever it is they don't need MOB.

Say again s l o w l y
9th May 2006, 19:54
Originally Posted by jethro15
http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fl...ld_airways.htm
That's a depressing website, seeing how many of the Sheds are for disposal or being broken for spares.

Any flying happening tonight or tomorrow?

Germstone
9th May 2006, 20:17
no movement of the blackpool aircraft

all still gagged chocked and locked

lots of non aircraft activity though...lots of hangar clearing going on ?

The AvgasDinosaur
9th May 2006, 20:45
Its been mentioned several times in this thread that it is unusual for the CAA to pull an airlines AOC like this. Who was the last to lose one this way rather than go bust. Has a UK carrier ever had their AOC suspended and succesfully got it back?
Be lucky
David

Doctor Cruces
9th May 2006, 21:03
MOBP45

Very succinctly put and 100% true.

No-one who has not had the pleasure? of working for him could even begin to imagine what it was like.

Rouald Dahl could not have made him up.

Doc C

Phileas Fogg
9th May 2006, 22:11
It all depends on the precise reasons for pulling the AOC.

After I last left Emerald in 2001 I joined another cargo (and pax) operator and some 10 months into that job we had a situation whereas the crewing department should have consisted of 3 but one was on maternatity leave, the guy who did the crew records and indeed the only one that knew how to enter the info into the machine was indefinately sick thus I was left on my lonesome basically working 12 hours a day and 7 days a week. I was a walking zombie but the overtime at the end of each month was great and management aware of what I was going through allowed me a wide berth.

Anyway, it reached the stage whereas the crew records were some weeks out of date and the Flight Ops Inspector, known less than affectionally as 'Swampy' (the b@stard wouldn't stop digging) decided that unless the crew records were up to date that evening then we wouldn't be flying, he would pull the AOC.

Well it was down to the old fashioned way of doing things, by the time I may have learnt how to use the crew records machine we would have been grounded thus out with the pencil & paper, I got them up to date somewhere around midnight but had reported them up to date to Swampy an hour earlier, OK so I lied, but at least we could operate the night freight.

A matter of some 2 weeks later, late afternoon/early evening, the DFO came to me looking for the OM who had already gone home. The DFO exclaimed 'he's going to pull the AOC, help me Phileas' thus I wandered downstairs with my pencil & papers in hand. Swampy had decided that our crew records were so far out of date that he was pulling the AOC. 'Give me a name' I asked and I proved to him that that person, and another, and another etc. were all up to date allbeit in a pencil & paper format, the little
sh1t didn't know where to put himself!

The moral of this story, well for the afflicted it's taken your mind of more serious matters if only for a few moments and it serves to prove that the Campaign Against Aviation can be mistaken, presumptuous, indeed wrong on occasions.

Good Luck

exloadie
9th May 2006, 22:12
Having worked? for Emerald for 6 years I think that i might have a few words about the c.e.o.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: (not meant to be funny)i feel for all the staff who are waiting for news but as an ex jem whipping boy all I can say is "dont hold your breath" getting information out of them is difficult to say the least.I know he ops gimp and worked and banged heads with him for a few years and trust me he left when he could take no more of the sh1t.Let me say this twice,emerald went into pax and it placed a huge financial burden on the company all as far as im concerned just to flatter one mans ego.Maybe aj knew what was going on maybe he didnt ,but when one man?makes sure nothing goes on without his approval the word meglamaniac springs to mind.most of the people who still work there do so not because they cant get a job somewhere else its because they care about the people they work with NOT who they work for

TwoDeadDogs
10th May 2006, 06:02
Hi all
Commiserations to all concerned.Best thing to do now is make sure the toolbox/flightbag is out of the hangar/flightdeck and safely in the boot of the car and get the CV out and in circulation.Don't just sit there like a dummy waiting for something to turn up.If you haven't been paid, well,get in before the liquidator does:E
regards
TDD

Maintrol Muppet
10th May 2006, 08:38
Having worked? for Emerald for 6 years I think that i might have a few words about the c.e.o.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: (not meant to be funny)i feel for all the staff who are waiting for news but as an ex jem whipping boy all I can say is "dont hold your breath" getting information out of them is difficult to say the least.I know he ops gimp and worked and banged heads with him for a few years and trust me he left when he could take no more of the sh1t.Let me say this twice,emerald went into pax and it placed a huge financial burden on the company all as far as im concerned just to flatter one mans ego.Maybe aj knew what was going on maybe he didnt ,but when one man?makes sure nothing goes on without his approval the word meglamaniac springs to mind.most of the people who still work there do so not because they cant get a job somewhere else its because they care about the people they work with NOT who they work for

Very well said....

Maintrol Muppet
10th May 2006, 08:58
Hi all
Commiserations to all concerned.Best thing to do now is make sure the toolbox/flightbag is out of the hangar/flightdeck and safely in the boot of the car and get the CV out and in circulation.Don't just sit there like a dummy waiting for something to turn up.If you haven't been paid, well,get in before the liquidator does:E
regards
TDD

When you don't hear any news in this situation, it can't be good...
It's easyer to get a job while you have one, and while you still have one (if you all still do) get a new one!
I don't want to see the end of EA, but when the managment 'aint talking, self preservation has got to kick in.
Everyone I know at Emerald has work Balls out for years to keep the 'show' on the road.
And to what ends?????
To not be told ANYTHING of any USE for nearly SEVEN DAYS!!!!!!!
17 aircraft not in service for nearly a week - what WILL the bank manager say?

To all the great people who are employed at LPL/CVT/BLK/IOM & all the other Emerald posts, I wish you all the best for the future, whatever the out come.

Trill_Flyer
10th May 2006, 09:35
Checking company e-mail still nothing. Has anyone managed to speak to any Management/opps to see what officially is going on who actually does know. Is MOB really RIP?

viewer
10th May 2006, 10:22
Checking company e-mail still nothing. Has anyone managed to speak to any Management/opps to see what officially is going on who actually does know. Is MOB really RIP?

(MOB)
10th May 2006, 10:59

IM STILL HERE MATE...........HA HA :) :)

ABird747
10th May 2006, 12:11
Not wanting to sound like I'm jumping the gun or anything but if any hosties are after a job, we're desperate for hard working cabin crew.

Log on to www.britishairwaysjobs.com

If anyone wants some tips for the form PM me... :ok:

Good luck to you all, I missed the 2G shut-down by a matter of months... nasty business. :uhoh:

exloadie
10th May 2006, 13:43
IM STILL HERE MATE...........HA HA :) :)

seems a bit too polite for the real one methinks

Green veins
10th May 2006, 13:50
Anyone got any news?????

Wedgehog
10th May 2006, 16:12
Naaa it's just some thicko with a sick sense of humour. Thinks it's clever. MOB has got much more important things to do than piss about on here, like save his job, or save an Airline.

seems a bit too polite for the real one methinks

perky percy
10th May 2006, 17:28
So is there any more news yet? I hope for all of you within Emerald there is something.

MOB P45
10th May 2006, 17:41
Everyone still in the dark about status of AOC but received news is that Emerald is due to start flying on monday. Some crew who asked have been assured verbally that they are being paid and some crews have been asked to attend Ground School refresher courses.

No formal news regarding MOB.

Lots of activity at BLK in the hangar but none around the aircraft!

I hope they are trying to get things up and running and not just busily shredding records!

Trill_Flyer
10th May 2006, 19:40
So is there any more news yet? I hope for all of you within Emerald there is something.

Company E-mail still Blank.

Let hope no news is good news.

icarus5
10th May 2006, 19:52
Apparently Nc is very optimistic about getting back to normal next week.MOB cannot possibly survive this if AJ wants any hope be successful in the future.

exloadie
11th May 2006, 14:21
Latest rumour is they will be flying anytime between next week and 3 weeks time (I know its vague but its a possitive post) and that mob departed Weds evening with his P45 in pocket these are only rumours nothing official

Wedgehog
11th May 2006, 14:47
Latest rumour is they will be flying anytime between next week and 3 weeks time (I know its vague but its a possitive post) and that mob departed Weds evening with his P45 in pocket these are only rumours nothing official

That's ok mate. it is called rumour network :) I Hope it's true though, About the biggest AH on the planet that is.

Trill_Flyer
11th May 2006, 19:23
If you ain't read your company e-mail I recommend you do. Very welcoming!!!!!

:ok: :)

Bottom Feeder
11th May 2006, 20:37
Sorry to hear about all the troubles, very unnecessary, hopefully Mo'B will do the decent thing and leave aviation for good (possibly via Beachy Head!). Can't be long now before they are put into administration surely? If it hasn't already happened? I guess the troops will be the last to know. Good luck.

lfc84
11th May 2006, 20:40
take a look in the news section of kpmg uk

ABird747
11th May 2006, 20:48
Isn't it just easier to copy it directly to the board?!

Richard Fleming and Brian Green from KPMG Restructuring have been appointed Administrators to Emerald Airways Ltd and Emerald Airways Engineering Ltd.

Liverpool-based Emerald Airways Limited is an aviation group operating over 30 freight and passenger aircraft on scheduled and ad-hoc services throughout the UK and Europe. The firm, which employs approximately 200 employees, has an annual turnover of c£25 million.

Based at Blackpool Airport, Emerald Airways Engineering Ltd (EAEL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emerald Airways and is primarily responsible for the maintenance, repair and refurbishment of passenger and freight aircraft.

On 4 May 2006, Emerald Airways Ltd had its Air Operators Certificate (AOC) provisionally suspended by the Civil Aviation Authority. As a result of its fleet being grounded, the firm has been unable to generate sufficient money to cover its outgoings and has consequently been placed into administration.

Richard Fleming, Joint Administrator at KPMG Restructuring, said: “At present, we are evaluating the options for the business with a view to selling it as a going concern. However, in order to achieve a sale, it is imperative that the AOC suspension is lifted, so we will be working with the Civil Aviation Authority over the coming days to achieve this.”

He added, “We would urge any parties who are interested in acquiring the business to contact us as soon as possible.”

Wedgehog
11th May 2006, 21:14
If you ain't read your company e-mail I recommend you do. Very welcoming!!!!!

:ok: :)

well judging by the other posts on here now they must be lying to you if you have had good news (No change there then)

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th May 2006, 23:53
Isn't it just easier to copy it directly to the board?!
Richard Fleming and Brian Green from KPMG Restructuring have been appointed Administrators to Emerald Airways Ltd and Emerald Airways Engineering Ltd.
Liverpool-based Emerald Airways Limited is an aviation group operating over 30 freight and passenger aircraft on scheduled and ad-hoc services throughout the UK and Europe. The firm, which employs approximately 200 employees, has an annual turnover of c£25 million.
Based at Blackpool Airport, Emerald Airways Engineering Ltd (EAEL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emerald Airways and is primarily responsible for the maintenance, repair and refurbishment of passenger and freight aircraft.
On 4 May 2006, Emerald Airways Ltd had its Air Operators Certificate (AOC) provisionally suspended by the Civil Aviation Authority. As a result of its fleet being grounded, the firm has been unable to generate sufficient money to cover its outgoings and has consequently been placed into administration.
Richard Fleming, Joint Administrator at KPMG Restructuring, said: “At present, we are evaluating the options for the business with a view to selling it as a going concern. However, in order to achieve a sale, it is imperative that the AOC suspension is lifted, so we will be working with the Civil Aviation Authority over the coming days to achieve this.”
He added, “We would urge any parties who are interested in acquiring the business to contact us as soon as possible.”

From what I hear, it's bullsh1t that they have only gone into administration as a direct result of losing their AOC. I've heard that they has cashflow problems around a month ago which meant problems paying sub-contracted aircraft operators.

MOB P45
12th May 2006, 07:30
:hmm: I am reliably informed that only a Receiver can allow a company to continue 'trading' whereby it may increase its debts in the hope of a sale as a going concern. An Administrator has a duty to liquidate the assets and settle the debts. The two terms are loosly used in place of each other, so i'm not clear where Emerald stand. The first thing that happens is that trading stops - well it has, and then all employees are dismissed by reason of redundancy - which it hasn't done. If they have been in Administration since 4 May and employees have not received letters then they are being paid. Hope continues!:ok:

OPFW
12th May 2006, 08:41
Here are the differences between Administration and Receivership
------------------------------------------------------------------

Insolvency and bankruptcy Administration and administrative receivership
When a company or partnership gets into financial trouble an administrator or administrative receiver may be appointed.

Administration
The role of an administrator is to get the company out of trouble and trading again if possible.

Administrators can be appointed to a company that is unable, or is likely to become unable, to pay its debts. They can be appointed by any of the following:

the courts - on application from a creditor, directors or partners
the holder of a qualifying floating charge over the assets of the business
the company or its directors
An administrator's primary goal is to rescue the company as a going concern. If this isn't possible, the administrator will try to get a better result for the creditors than would be possible if the company was wound up.

If neither of these is possible, the administrator will sell the company's property to make at least a partial payment to one or more secured or preferential creditors, such as employees or the bank.

Administration can also apply to partnerships.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrative receivership
When a company borrows money, the lender is usually given some security over the company's assets to guarantee payment. If the company fails to keep the terms of the loan or encounters financial difficulties, the lender may be entitled to appoint an administrative receiver. An administrative receiver is an insolvency practitioner who has control of the whole, or a substantial part, of the company's property and wide powers over the business.

The administrative receiver is mainly concerned with getting back the money owed to the secured creditor. The administrative receiver may sell the assets piecemeal, or sell the whole business as a going concern to pay off the secured creditor, and the costs of the receivership.

dasrc
12th May 2006, 09:30
I heard on the jungle drums that a certain Mr Meeson has been sniffing around. It's his trait, buying out companies that are struggling and then turn them around. :ok: New company to be formed called Jet2 Cargo.:sad:

Seems strange considering he sold all the F27's and A300's "because its not the way the company was going"

Anyone from Emerald heard anything?

MOB P45
12th May 2006, 10:04
Administration
The role of an administrator is to get the company out of trouble and trading again if possible.

Administrators can be appointed to a company that is unable, or is likely to become unable, to pay its debts.

Administrative receivership
An administrative receiver is an insolvency practitioner who has control of the whole, or a substantial part, of the company's property and wide powers over the business.

The administrative receiver is mainly concerned with getting back the money owed to the secured creditor. The administrative receiver may sell the assets piecemeal, or sell the whole business as a going concern to pay off the secured creditor, and the costs of the receivership.

OPFW

Thanks for the clarification, although their roles appear very similar to the layman. Both have the word Administrative, presumably reflecting the control exercised by both types of appointees?
Which situation is Emerald in, and does it matter anyway if it cannot meet its debts as they fall due and/or it has net liabilities and no new owner can be found?
Could either/both appointees recommence trading the business if the AOC is restored?
Can either allow further debts to accrue after they are appointed if they were to recommence trading?
Is it correct that the staff are still accruing pay if they have not been advised of their dismissal? :confused:

Management info given to crews attending CRM yesterday was that it would restart but implication was that only HS748 would be flying and that redundancies were innevitable.

EI-CGO
12th May 2006, 10:05
From what I hear, it's bullsh1t that they have only gone into administration as a direct result of losing their AOC. I've heard that they has cashflow problems around a month ago which meant problems paying sub-contracted aircraft operators.

Well what you heard is wrong.

From a financial point of view the company was not in great shape, but it was doing better, and after a review with the Bank and Accountants (with the lawyers present) they were given a clear mandate to continue the operation.

There are only TWO reasons that Emerald have now collapsed (because even with the greatest will in the world they are unlikely to survive in its present form) all created by an ego who put his own bravado before the employees and families that will suffer for his actions.....

1. The Accountable Manager continually thinking that he was better than the CAA and thinking that they would never dare pull his AOC, after all, why should he follow set down rules on the very basic functions of holding an AOC when the business of selling cheapo charters you have no crew for is far more important. Well what a fool he turned out to be.

If anyone thinks for one minute that the individual concerned was somehow victimised, I have it on good authority that he was asked THREE times to sort out the training mess and still failed to do so.

2. Years and years of late payments and battles with suppliers have come back to haunt them in a big way, now companies are only too glad to repay that attitude and are slapping writs on aircraft that could not possibly be paid quickly when there is no money coming in, on Tuesday there was a VERY good chance that JEM might have been flying by now, as every day goes by the vicious circle casued by an individuals ego can only result in oblivion being not too far off.

The only good thing that can come from this, is that certain individuals should NEVER be able to hold senior accountable positions in any UK airline again.

sufferingspouse
12th May 2006, 11:02
Dare I ask why if the company could have been flying on Tuesday and things are no further forward who's decision is it now to implement the requirements made by the CAA to reinstate the AOC? and why are things are still going round in circles .. company wants AOC back should company not be bending over backwards to accomodate the CAA's wishes ?

Was it Spock that said "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?".

MEON VALLEY FLYER
12th May 2006, 11:03
Seen this time and time again in manufacturing industry.

Will the chairman do a pheonix and buy the assets he wanrs for a nominal sum and shed all the debt and liabilities to suppliers and staff. then launch emerald mk2 with the 748's and operate just as before.

yes some may point out the official possition of receivers / administractors. but there are ways around everything.

example: competitor of ours went into adminastrative receivership last year, turnover £ 1.5m, debtor book £250 k, creditors book £600 K, machinery value £250 k.
net result: started up new company with similar name, bought machinery from receiver (no one else got a look in, no option for open market auction) for £ 50 k, wiped out all debt to suppliers and tax / vat man. got out of obligation on property lease. said £ 50k went to receiver and his friend who valued machinery, made them very happy. no one else got anything.
All becaause they moved around title of assets and directors loans on such and goodwill. all legal.

Phileas Fogg
12th May 2006, 11:20
Emerald may well have appealed against the CAA's decision but knowing what many, including myself, know it would seem that the CAA make a correct decision.

Then, and with immediate effect and if they hadn't started doing so already, Emerald should have set about getting their house in order and if that meant bring in a top aviation 'expert' at the top then that's what they should have done.

Instead, it seems, that they chose to waste several days, valuable days, by appealing against the CAA decision thus one, including the CAA, may interpret this that they were still refusing to accept that they had 'focked up' and would prefer to argue than accept the decision.

Talk of operations commencing anywhere between now and three weeks from now would indicate an attempt to get the house in order and to achieve this one would think that every manager is setting about getting his own department in order, after all he/she has very little else to do at this time. If this were happening then the offices would be bustling with activity, is this happening or has the towel been thrown in?

potkettleblack
12th May 2006, 12:23
example: competitor of ours went into adminastrative receivership last year, turnover £ 1.5m, debtor book £250 k, creditors book £600 K, machinery value £250 k.
net result: started up new company with similar name, bought machinery from receiver (no one else got a look in, no option for open market auction) for £ 50 k, wiped out all debt to suppliers and tax / vat man. got out of obligation on property lease. said £ 50k went to receiver and his friend who valued machinery, made them very happy. no one else got anything.
All becaause they moved around title of assets and directors loans on such and goodwill. all legal.

Of course there is nothing to stop a group of pilots and groundstaff doing the same thing. Form a new Holdco for £100, put together a proper articles of association and profit sharing/dividend arrangement, work out how much you value your job and are willing to risk and approach the administrators with your offer. If successful put someone in charge who has commercial nouse and good relationships with the CAA and you never now just what might happen.

Phileas Fogg
12th May 2006, 12:45
Of course there is nothing to stop a group of pilots and groundstaff doing the same thing. Form a new Holdco for £100, put together a proper articles of association and profit sharing/dividend arrangement, work out how much you value your job and are willing to risk and approach the administrators with your offer. If successful put someone in charge who has commercial nouse and good relationships with the CAA and you never now just what might happen.

And good relations with the workforce perhaps :)

potkettleblack
12th May 2006, 12:52
And good relations with the workforce perhaps

Yep goes without saying really. There is no better feeling than working for yourself and knowing that everything you put in is given back in spades. From my very limited knowledge of Emerald I would say that the power of the crews and engineers should not be underestimated. Without them there is no viable business and I wouldn't expect there would be a pool of suitably qualified people to jump into their seats. If there was a willingness to do a buy out I would have thought it would be given quite serious consideration from the administrators. Even more so if it was subtly implied that the staff might not be so inclined to work for Emerald unless their proposal was accepted:)

mr hopeful
12th May 2006, 13:09
A buyout sounds a good idea, enough people have put an awful lot of effort in bailing out a sinking ship...but if they were to work for themselves - like you said no telling what could happen!

Money might be a problem, a fair bit of investment would be needed etc but no reason why a serious effort couldn't work!!!:hmm:

potkettleblack
12th May 2006, 13:24
Money might be a problem, a fair bit of investment would be needed etc but no reason why a serious effort couldn't work!!!

Yeah no idea on what sort of numbers they would be looking at. Of course a buy out doesn't have to all be in cash. Many buy outs are a mix of cash and debt or even equity. In the latter case the bank would convert its debt for shares with a mechanism for them to cash them in at some point as generally they want to get out within 1-2 years. That of course assumes that the bank is the biggest creditor, if its a supplier then a bit of coercian might secure their agreement.

You would be surprised what say 20 people putting in £100k could achieve which doesn't actually sound that much on paper or err LCD. Many buy outs actually have very little cash changing hands but security being offered to banks and repayment of debt through profits etc. Not much different to the Man U deal that the Glaziers pulled off really, although slightly smaller figures involved would be my guess:)

Daede1
12th May 2006, 14:06
potkettleblack has the right idea, but some of the mechanics of finance are wrong.

Any bank behind emerald would have no interest in converting debt to shares - at most, Emerald would be worth 4-5m, based on assets.
To put that in perspective, a bank would earn that in interest, in one day, on slightly over £1bn. Bearing in mind that RBS earnt twenty odd billion in profit, 5m is peanuts and not really worth the hassle.
Also, when you hear of banks 'investing' they usually arent directly taking shares in companies - typically they will be underwriting a share issue, debt provision or credit line. To say that RBS or whoever is behind Emerald would take a share is the equivalent of saying that Mastercard own a share in me cos i havent paid the bill.

Now, you are assuming that the bank would value the aircraft / offices / spares at the same rate as the owners do on their balance sheet? That is incorrect too.
There are many airlines that leverage finance against an aircraft for its commercial or resale value.

How do you value an aircraft type that is operated by maybe one or two other carriers around the world? It either has a) scarcity value (Such as the AN124s), or b)Junk value - such as the dodgier russian types.
So lets assume that Emerald have valued the aircraft at insurable rates. That puts a well maintained 748 at about $900,000in value. However market value for acquisition is about...wait for it....50% of that.
So the bank are immediately being asked to invest in a business with assets that are possibly overvalued, have literally no resale value, and can only be operated by a group of very select individuals (The trained pilots and mechanics of Emerald). Fine and dandy say the fly boys, we will do a good job - but the aviation industry proves otherwise. Pilots are constantly arguing for higher wages, less hours etc etc. All reasonable enough to you guys, but not to the financier.

Now before you all go mental at me, you have to remember who has the money to invest (The financier/Bank) and who wants it (The chaps looking to buy the airline), its all about vested interests, and who holds the purse strings.
Put yourself in the banks shoes - if they remain behind Emerald, they will be held at the mercy of a bunch of whining aircrew and engineers who want the latest gadgets for the aircraft, and dont want to fly too many hours. They will also be the owners of technically worthless assets, with little if any chance of resale.
Now in the pilots and engineers shoes, you are being held at the mercy of a bloodsucking venture capitalist or money grabbing bank, who has done nothing to help the airline out of its current predicament.

So ignoring alll of that, you mention that buyouts usually involve debt - very true. These deals are referred to as leveraged buyouts.
To give you an example. i want to buy a bakery, that takes in 2k profit a month (24 a year). It gets valued at 72k by the lawyers - fine and dandy. Now for me to acquire this, i dont need to find 72k. I need to work out what the payments are to service 72ks worth of debt a month. So lets assume that that figure comes out at 1800 per month loan repayment over 5 years. We all agree, and ive picked up the company, and 200 quid a month income for putting exactly how much money down?

Now this deal only works if the company that i am acquiring has one of two things: a) no debt at all or b) strong enough cash flow to support my debt.

Whats the bets that Emerald has either of these qualities?

That all sounds fairly bleak, but Pot has the right sentiment - if enough people actually put their hands in their pockets, finance can be found. Its called lock in money - if me as a bank knows that the company failing is really going to hurt you financially as an individual, i am more inclined to think you will work your nuts off to make it suceed, and consequently i am far more inclined to come to an arrangement to back your buyout.

my fingers hurt so im stopping typing now.

Daede1
12th May 2006, 14:19
Also if the company is liqudated (Or placed in administration) you can write to the administrator and DTI as a creditor, demanding further investigation into the conduct of the directors of the company.
If any of them are found to have prejudiced the creditors or the operations of the company in any way, then they can be struck off as directors, and found personally liable.
FYI if you are owed a salary at the time of the company being foreclosed, you are a creditor (It still owes you money).

EI-CGO
12th May 2006, 14:21
Sorry to spoil the fun, but I hear there are at least two potential interested parties waiting in the wings.

Only one of these I hear is in the same line of business and is NOT interested in 3 a/c types.

I sense the bits that are worth anything could be flogged to several buyers.

Daede1
12th May 2006, 14:25
2 interested parties, neither are aircraft operators at present.....

EI-CGO
12th May 2006, 14:28
2 interested parties, neither are aircraft operators at present.....

Are you sure ?

I hear one is 'connected' to a current UK operator/lessor ?

Daede1
12th May 2006, 14:30
Yup - not operators.

exloadie
12th May 2006, 14:31
i heard the same one outfit wants the ATP's and the other the cargo maybe they could buy emerald and split the operation?

potkettleblack
12th May 2006, 14:32
potkettleblack has the right idea, but some of the mechanics of finance are wrong.

Erm, yeah right. I really hate willy waving but your a cargo charter manager and me well I did this very thing in the City for about 8 years. One thing I have learnt about finance is that there are no such thing as "rules" or what you can get away with in situations like this. Another thing is to write in a manner that your audience will understand. I could have mentioned MBO and leveraged buy out but the pilot/engineer/groundcrew audience of this thread would have fallen asleep by now:)

If your a bank/supplier/whoever with your back against a wall you would be surprised what people are willing to accept. To outsiders accepting 30-40p in the pound might be unreasonable yet to a bank with a debt book in the billions it will be an acceptable loss to take.

The value of the a/c is really a secondary issue. Assuming the bank is the main creditor we are dealing with then their sole aim is to recover their debt. In undertaking an MBO all you are really doing is asking them to keep a portion (or all) of their debt in. Whether this is as a mix of debt or equity is semantics although doing it as a mix will enable the company a degree of breathing space and provide improved operating cashflow. In return typically the bank will go for security from the people behind the MBO such as 2nd mortgages etc. By putting in place a management team with a proven track record then you give the bank confidence that they will get their debt repaid according to the repayment schedule.

Your points about whingeing pilots and engineers etc are a bit naive. The mechanics of how the new Holdco operates is all dealt with in the business plan that will be agreed with the bank in anycase. It will include any capital expenditure plans and deal with whatever "gadgets" you can think of or not as the case may be. Having a CEO & management team that shows commercial experience of the freight market and impresses the bank will be key as will presentations to the past customers to win the contracts back which will no doubt be an integral part of a successful deal going ahead. As will presentations to the existing staff securing their support for the deal and ensuring their buy in.

Anyway there are many ways to skin a cat so to speak so no real point in discussing semantics until such time (if ever) that someone fronts up and if necessary we can all chip in with some advice.

MOB P45
12th May 2006, 14:40
The problem for 'Emerald Bakery' is that the shop is closed because Health & Safety' have found a rat's arse in a French Stick. The customers are now looking to shop elsewhere on the High street. The suppliers, although used to being paid persistantly late may not want to write off the debt to the previous owner and allow new debt to pile up with the new owner. Not all the staff are going to hang around to see if a new owner can be found and whether or not they have escaped the redundancy list, which they know is being drafted as they await their fate. The staff having been poorly paid for years couldn't raise a whip-round let alone venture capital.

Daede1
12th May 2006, 14:41
Sorry, maybe i should change my profile to detail what i do now. Did i mention i work in venture capital? sorry, my mistake.

With regards to my being 'naive' i think you need to take a deep breath and read the post again. It illisutrates the different points of view on this issue.

By placing second mortgages on properties, you are really just reiterating what i mentioned in my post:
''Its called lock in money - if me as a bank knows that the company failing is really going to hurt you financially as an individual, i am more inclined to think you will work your nuts off to make it suceed, and consequently i am far more inclined to come to an arrangement to back your buyout.''

Emerald is a fairly unique situation, with an odd aircraft fleet, large company engineering setup and mindset with small aircraft numbers, very well trained staff who have lost an AoC over training issues, and an odd management oversight system.

Also, debt and /or equity are not semantics - thats a very silly comment. Equity costs nothing to service, and does not affect cash flow. Debt requires servicing, and therefore draws money out of the company.

RVR800
12th May 2006, 15:06
Unless you have long term loans granted like the ones alleged to exist in New Labour :p
Serviced by the Honours system

Jenson Button
12th May 2006, 18:38
MBO all sounds very nice :D

However, I'm pretty sure that most of Emeralds fleet requires a few of those whizz bang gadgets mentioned in a few of the above replies as per

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FOD200604.PDF

Which for an aircraft like the Budgie is gonna cost a bit.

Am I Bovvered, Do I look Bovvered...............

ABird747
12th May 2006, 19:44
In Paragraph 2.1 it says that TAWS is only required for passenger carrying aircraft (more than 9 but less than 30 pax)...

ajh748
12th May 2006, 19:56
In Paragraph 2.1 it says that TAWS is only required for passenger carrying aircraft (more than 9 but less than 30 pax)...

It does not matter if they are operated as passenger aircraft - the definition is whether they are authorised to carry passengers which of course the 748 and ATP are.

icarus5
12th May 2006, 19:59
I think this issue is being over-complicated.

Going into administration allows the company breathing space to sort out; the problems with the CAA which now seem to be administrative, get creditors off their back (for a while at least) and for the Administrator (who is now in control of the company and to a great extent their future) to sort out the best deal for evryone all round.

This could involve slimming down to become more efficient (eg get rid of the ATPs which have been and are expensive and a change of what previously was a successful strategy),selling off part or all of the company (but remember Air Cons after examining the books last year decided not to go ahead but stand back and pick up the pieces which is now looking to be a wise move on their part) or simply liquidising the company.

The latter will probaly only happen if there is sufficient equity in the company ie umortgaged aircraft, buldings (if owned by Em), land (eg at LPL which will be worth a bob or two) and whatever assets there may be at BPL.

This could happen if at the forthcoming creditors meeting they all vote for it. They may prefer to take say 40p in the pound of what they are owed and run.

Niether AJ nor MOB have much say in the company now as it is being run solely br the Administrator who will make all strategic decisions.I hope when they examine the books they uncover the huge wastage due to MOB's crass decisions and controlling of the company. He should have remained at what he was good at, a ramp handler CEO he is not.

Bob Stinger
12th May 2006, 20:15
JEMB was out today doing engine runs at Blackpool

dada
12th May 2006, 20:26
MOB - is he such a good bullsh!tter that he'd wangle himslef a job in another airline or is his reputation within the industry sufficient to have finished him off ?
if only somebody would...............

IB4138
12th May 2006, 20:40
Take it from me, who is a guy who used to finance and repo such flying machines and equipment .....every plane and I mean every plane, would be now back under my control or if wholly owned, under the administrators control. Remember the banks may hold debentures over all assets not specifically financed. Yes, present legislation is mean't to protect the business and maintain it as a going concern, but if no cash is available to run it, there can only be one outcome.

Purchasers come forward please..there is a deal to be done that is the clear message!

I've been around since the Laker debacle and seen it all before. Infact I'm glad to be out of the game now.

Get your rose coloured specs off...the longer there is no flying, a break up/sell off situation becomes a stronger eventuality..don't be mislead by odd maintenance flights to keep the fleet airworthy.

Wedgehog
13th May 2006, 12:06
MOB - is he such a good bullsh!tter that he'd wangle himslef a job in another airline or is his reputation within the industry sufficient to have finished him off ?
if only somebody would...............

If he ever had the nerve to ask me for a job I would wet myself from laughing, anyway what could you possibly find for a barrow boy meglomaniac to do? What was his favourite saying? "Do you know who I am" yes we do, you are a sad little boy who's ego is bigger than your head and now your self made empire has hit the fan, you are unemployable and hated by most of the people who know you. How does that feel? What goes around comes around, it's one of the laws of the universe.

siduk
13th May 2006, 13:54
Hi

Can anyone confirm that all the fleet pilots been made redundant as from the 11th May.

Is administrator trying to make all the people redundant and ask them to apply again, when the new shape of the company will take place near future, or this is the end of Emerald now.

Cheers
Siduk