PDA

View Full Version : Tfly latest rumours!!

tui doll
27th Apr 2006, 18:06
Does anyone out there know anything about these rumours flying
around:-:)

Name change back to BritanniaFly???!!!

Getting rid of all the 757's and replacing with 19 737 800 aircraft

Placing an order for Airbus and boeing 787 by the end of the year

tuismile
27th Apr 2006, 22:25
Well i've heard a lot about 737's taking over the 757's and I'm sure it is going to happen. I've heard about that from a few trainers actually so could well be true...

The MD did confirm that he will be signing contracts either with airbus or boeing within the next few months, but these aren't due to come into service until 2011 so we have a while!!!!

The whole Britanniafly thing sounds a bit fishy to me...I doubt we would change so quickly after doing this whole campaign thing for Thomsonfly so I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest!

banewboi
28th Apr 2006, 21:37
757's will be going i think, i've heard that one is already planned to leave or already has left man but can't find last years fleet list so don't know if it has, they'll sign an aircraft manufacturer as soon asa united folds and they can take up the unused options, tui is all about doing it on the cheap!

thomsonfly.com
29th Apr 2006, 11:13
Personally, I see Thomsonfly going following a very similar business model to that of our German partner airline Hapagfly. This company has a built up a network of "mini hubs" across Germany with multiple weekly flights to holiday destinations across Europe, attracting both their own pax with a no-frills airline pricing structure but also pax who are connecting to a group-owned holiday company. The airline uses a fleet of 737-800s which are the perfect size for the operation; allowing fast turnarounds & being ideal for the number of weekly flights they operate. There is also a dedicated LCC division (HLX) which operates scheduled flights from markets they've been able to get a toehold in with slightly smaller planes but increased frequencies, which seems to fit in with TOM's CVT/DSA/BOH operation.

The BritanniaFly rumour is sentimental rubbish. TUI have just spent a lot of money in promoting the Thomsonfly brand, and introducing the Thomson brand to all aspects of the TUI UK products. I can't see them disbanding now. As lovely & respected the BY brand was to those in the know, it's known predominantly as a "charter" brand, therefore a fresh new look as the airline approaches a new business model is what's needed.

tui doll
29th Apr 2006, 11:32
This does seem like the route ThomsonFly is going down - do you have any idea when the 737's will be coming and the 757's will be leaving the fleet?

whatdoesthisbuttondo
29th Apr 2006, 11:50
The 737s are already here and as time goes on the the 'plan', as far as I know is for ThomsonFly to operate only 737s and 787s. Recent rumour is that two 762s and one 763 going this year.

The choice is between the 787 and A350 but the rest of TUI have Boeings. I can't see the 737s being replaced now with a smaller airbus.

World of Tweed
29th Apr 2006, 12:43
Aware of only 1 763 that has actually left already... or at least thats what we were told.

I sincerely hope the 757 isn't replaced any time soon....reduction possibly.

With regard to the Pilot bidding process ...we heard more 737s coming for next Summer and the possibility of a slightly smaller 757/767 fleet for the same time period.

But delivery slots for 787 are full till 2011/2012. So if we are to stay in longhaul the 767's(or 757's) will have to stick around till then.

As for Hapagfly (exlcuding HLX)... they actually have longer turnarounds in-general than the 757s do. And do hopper flights i.e. XRY-FAO-HAM etc. Also the German market is vastly different - they have maybe 4 locost carriers versus the UK's 15 or so.

I alsow note that hapag don't necessarily do things on the cheap... you get Sweets pre-t/o and Food and drink all as standard....isn't that a novel idea. ....Almost like flying used to be....can't see us following that somehow!

BY_boy
29th Apr 2006, 15:12
just came back from a trip and the flight deck were adamant that we could have the titles Britannia on our longhaul aircraft only to try and win back ad hoc contracts etc.

Also they reckon that TFLY could be the undiclosed company on the Boeing website that have ordered 6 B787s??

TFlyguy
29th Apr 2006, 16:36
Lots of leasing companies have 787 slots too .............

tui doll
29th Apr 2006, 16:42
Just looked on the Boeing website it says Unidentified order: 22 737's, 1 767 and 1 787............... I suppose all shall be revealed!!:)

BY_boy
29th Apr 2006, 17:10
might be a little too late though for us. whe our competitors are flying around in those new 787s and we've still got the 767s

firstforfirstchoice
29th Apr 2006, 18:44
I was hoping that the B767-200's would go first.

Wonder why they possibly wish to reduce or wipe out their B757-200 fleet, they have just spent a fortune, refitting the cabins, with new seats, etc. Plus re-branding and re-painting them.

Long live the B757-200's for many many years to come in Thomsonfly's fleet and every other airline the operates the B757-200's.

TomOfScandinavia
29th Apr 2006, 21:22
Could it be that the B763 is heading for Scandinavia and Britannia Airways Nordic (from 1st May: TUIfly Nordic)? The airline is expecting to operate a B763 for the autumn/winter '06-'07 as they have presented new longhaul nonstop charterdestinations from Scandinavia, to Venezuela, Brazil, UAE, Cap Verde Islands and Mauritius using several B757's and 1 B763 - the last a/c being a "new" addition to the fleet.

TFlyguy
29th Apr 2006, 21:34
I thought Scandanavia had had a 767-300 for the last few winters

banewboi
29th Apr 2006, 22:31
i thought the a/c that left this winter (no longer operating this summer) was a 762, i was under the impression that this was setting precedent for the rest of the 762 fleet to go, 757's have stopped being manufactured by boeing haven't they so t'd make sense for us to stick with ng 73's which only actually cary about 40 pax less than a 752 and considering how much smaller they are they should be more efficient?

738 's are lovely to work on, just the right size for s/h and it keeps a lovely working atmosphere, i really do think that for the moment there'll be no real fleet renewal (except new leases maybe) uuntil tui can take up some unused options.

TFlyguy
29th Apr 2006, 22:33
No it was YC a 767-300 that went

TomOfScandinavia
30th Apr 2006, 01:48
Yes, Scandinavia has had the B763 the last few winters, but will it be permanent this time? Just wondering if anyone has heard anything...

sammy shamal
1st May 2006, 12:09
All will be revealed shortly.......................

What I've heard and think will be the case is........

Order of 787's to be announced shortly, Although TFly will be a late addition to the order book, many orders are also cancelled or deffered to a later date so there will be aircraft available if and when TFly want them.
787's will replace the 767's. (Training Captains will operate 777 for a short while with another airline, poss emirates or BA so that when 787 hits the line TFly can train their pilots in house)
757 fleet will be reduced to about 10 aircraft (they're in good nick, very flexible and cost peanuts to lease so we'll see them around for a good few years)
Rest of the fleet will be made up of 737-800 or other NG derivatives.

So the rumour goes...................................

thomsonfly.com
2nd May 2006, 10:19
The 737-800 is really the perfect aircraft for Thomsonfly's future for short & mediumhaul operations, considering it's efficiency, despite the fact that there is a reduction of some 40 seats. TOM is focusing on higher-frequencies to holiday destinations for two reasons it seems. Firstly, the people who remain with package holiday arrangements want more convenience & flexibility. Also, this convenience allows the DIY tourists to consider TOM as attractive as the likes of Ryanair.

I agree that the 73Gs are lovely aircraft to work on, and it wouldn't surprise me if even the larger -900 series was considered to replace some of the more high-density (LGW/LTN/MAN) routes, as well as the -700 for CVT.

BYCREWBOY
2nd May 2006, 12:46
i WISH WE COULD GO BACK TO BRITANNIA! SINCE THE NAME CHANGE THE COMPANYS NOT THE SAME AS IT USE TO BE. PASSENGERS LOVED THE BRITANNIA NAME NOW THEY DONT KNOW WHO THERE FLYING WITH! THE DAYS OF ROYAL SERVICE AND 360 ARE LONG GONE. ITS A REAL SHAME!