PDA

View Full Version : Ground Star Despatch Interview

pez1206
27th Apr 2006, 17:03
Hi guys

Newbie alert!

As above I have a job interview with "Ground Star" for a seasonal dispatch job. I’ve already got knowledge of weight and balance, scheduled performance, ramp handling and fuel planning from a college course I’m doing, so I’m happy with the role of a dispatch and the job itself.

But what I would like to know if anyone has any dispatch specific interview advice or even better; if anyone has had an interview recently for a dispatch position which they got the job for, who could give some advice???

Cheers Pez

Admin: feel free to move to inteview, jobs section....

Buster Cherry
28th Apr 2006, 08:03
Pez 126

Worked as a Dispatcher/Ramp agent for a number of years.
All I can say for the interview is be aware of the importance of Communication, Teamwork & Time management (for the turnaround)
Good luck & have a good summer!!
Rgds/ Buster

ace dispatch
28th Apr 2006, 09:43
They should snatch your hand off, considering the pittance they pay us compared to engineers, pilots etc i just cannot believe these jobs attract the high calibre of applicants that they do, its high time our pay was comparable to other proffesionals in the busiiness.

boeingbus2002
28th Apr 2006, 10:21
Out of curiosity what is the starting "pittance"?!! ;)

Ad!!!
28th Apr 2006, 10:34
I've just passed an interview for a dispatch secondment with servisair and the interview was quite relaxed. It consisted of introductions of yourself, a short test on the airport, a quick presentation on the subject of your choice and then a one to one interview for 5-10 minutes. My starting salery will about 19 grand.

And as buster said they focus very heavily on time management and communication.

pez1206
28th Apr 2006, 13:51
a short test on the airport, a quick presentation on the subject of your choice:eek:

What! Did they notify you about that before?? What sort of questions where on the test??

19K sounds bloody good to me, Im at college at the moment so anything I get offered (money wise) I will probably think is good :}

Cheers for the comments guys, gives me food for thought and should help with preparing for the interview.

pez

Ad!!!
28th Apr 2006, 17:29
I'm not saying that this will be the structure of your interview, but i'm just saying how Servisair at Gatwick did it about a month ago. The questions were just about runway designations, airport codes and late arrival/non-shower protocol. They did notify me about everything before hand.

pez1206
28th Apr 2006, 19:05
Ok rite, well I havnt had any information of that description, so I guess it will be a 30 min 1-1 inteview. Wish me luck guys :D

Cheers for your help :ok:

lpl32
28th Apr 2006, 21:24
AD I was just wondering what your job consists of. As 19 grand seems an awful lot.:ok:

Ad!!!
29th Apr 2006, 15:06
£17,000 basic and £2000 shift pay (Gross) as a servisair flight despatcher at Gatwick.

LB1985
29th Apr 2006, 18:22
Also good to know that Groundstar is actually Swissport. Check out their site for details about the company (www.swissportuk.com and www.swissport.com).

pez1206
1st May 2006, 21:01
Cool cheers guys, think Im as prepared as I can be.... other than not knowing:

Who they handle at LGW (airlines) and when they where bloody established (swissport)?? Anyone tell me??? Interview tomoz...:\

Pez

pez1206
2nd May 2006, 11:18
^^Cheers, Just had the interview, seemed to go well. Was less of an Inteview and more of a chat. hopefully hear from them soon either way.

Cheers for all your helps guys!

Rachman
2nd May 2006, 12:51
Pez, just be yourself and let them know how prepared you are to give up your old social life, which you will have to do. Your employers will expect and you will have to be prepared to deliver.
Good luck
Rachman

pez1206
5th May 2006, 15:59
:) Got the Job (seasonal contract), money isnt bad,

Cant wait to start training should be fun! :\

Cheers for helping me out guys, got a nice hard summer ahead of me now :}

lpl32
5th May 2006, 17:15
Congratulations, your right I am sure you will have a really busy summer, just out of interset what is the pay like?:ok:

pez1206
5th May 2006, 17:21
:O Cheers mate, £8.25 per hour plus shift pay (£160+ per month) :) (good for me at 18)

Pez

older_wiser
3rd Jun 2006, 11:14
£17,000 basic and £2000 shift pay (Gross) as a servisair flight despatcher at Gatwick.

It seems that Servisair pay more at Gatwick than at Heathrow.
They are currently offering £18.5k inc shift pay and London weighting at LHR and this does not reflect experience.

Seems the salaries for this type of position are getting lower and lower but work expectations are the same.

You could earn the salary above at several other handlers by working on the Ramp, in Crgo or on check in and that would be without the reponsibility.
You could even take a job outside of Aviation for that and not work shifht work

Just another student
3rd Jun 2006, 15:42
Well done on getting the job. I'm trying to sort out my 5 year work history for an airside pass for a ramp position, not an easy job as I have been issued with passes before.

The money is not great, but the salary is not my primary motive for going for the job anyway. Still, I hope that I will get a job in flight dispatch at some stage. It would appear to be the best way for me to meet people and find a way into the RHS of a passenger aircraft a.s.a.p :\

Cheers :ok:

JAS