PDA

View Full Version : Help please, slow website or me????

BRL
27th Apr 2006, 16:31
Hi all. I have tried to get on a website that is pretty slow at loading pages. I have tried with Opera and IE. Could someone please click on the site and tell me if it takes ages for a page to load or is it just me? (ps, on opera it only loads the page up to 16%)

http://www.bps.org.uk/

Cheers!

BOAC
27th Apr 2006, 16:38
Loads ok for me - you sure you are not imagining it? :) :)

frostbite
27th Apr 2006, 17:10
Took about 20 secs. (on dialup).

FJJP
27th Apr 2006, 17:11
Nope, all works fine at normal speed on broadband.

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Apr 2006, 17:14
3 seconds @1Mb.

terryJones
27th Apr 2006, 18:11
Only about 10 seconds, using Firefox

Tex37
27th Apr 2006, 18:13
Very slow on Portuguese "Broadband" takes about a minute

Globaliser
27th Apr 2006, 19:45
Site's completely dead for me.

Are too many Prooners testing it, all at once? :D

FunkyMunky
27th Apr 2006, 19:47
Doesn't work at all for me, 10Mib blueyonder, not that it makes much difference if the site is dead :)

rotorcraig
27th Apr 2006, 20:20
Doesn't work for me either

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

BOAC
27th Apr 2006, 21:10
I suspect their web site manager will be so shocked by the recent 'hits' he will be looking for a good psychiatrist.:ok:

BRL
27th Apr 2006, 22:08
Thanks for your time chaps. It must be something on my computer here, it eventually loaded a page this evening using IE but it took about an hour to load. All other web sites work ok but not this. Odd.... :confused:

Thanks again.

DBTL
28th Apr 2006, 07:20
The poor webmaster probably will not even notice if you PING his site:
Start - Run ping www.bps.org.uk (http://www.bps.org.uk)

(You may have to tell your firewall PING is safe to run)

I think he's searching for a new hard drive subsystem right now, hope he has actually made the backups.

Globaliser
28th Apr 2006, 08:35
Thanks for your time chaps. It must be something on my computer here, it eventually loaded a page this evening using IE but it took about an hour to load. All other web sites work ok but not this.It's running now for me, and loading at the speed of light (I have broadband of some description here in the office). So maybe they were just having server problems yesterday.

Big_Johnno
28th Apr 2006, 15:38
Maybe it is setup that way on purpose so you think you are going crazy. Then you will call them for a referral.
John

BRL
28th Apr 2006, 15:39
Hi all. Just an update. Looks like it is something here as ebay takes all day to load now, all other sites work and load ok so it must be something here. :(

P.Pilcher
28th Apr 2006, 16:08
It wouldn't load at all for me when I tried it yesterday, but this afternoon it loaded in about 5 seconds and at last therefore, I understand the humour in BOAC's post yesterday.

P.P.

BRL
28th Apr 2006, 17:20
May I just add it wasn't for me by the way, 'twas for a girl I know called Nikki.......

The African Dude
30th Apr 2006, 01:24
BRL,

I've got a horribly slow laptop, and when using IE it's almost unbearable. But I've started using Mozilla Firefox as a web browser, and with that the site you linked to opened in a couple of seconds on broadband. I tried it with IE and it took about half a minute.

Good luck
Andy

BRL
30th Apr 2006, 16:50
Thank you. I have just downloaded Mozila Firefox and the problem remains. :( Both web sites take hours to appear. I can only think my firewall may be doing something :confused:

DG101
30th Apr 2006, 20:15
BRL

You may need to defrag(ment) your hard drive.

FJJP
1st May 2006, 07:09
DBTL - a fundimental question and I should know the answer! How do you PING a site? And what am I looking for?

I had a bit of software on a previous computer which would show the routing of a link to a site - is this connected and if so, can you remember what software I'm talking about?

Thanks for the help...

Saab Dastard
1st May 2006, 12:44
FJJP,

Ping.exe is built into the OS, as part of the TCP/IP protocol.

Run, Cmd, PING hostname or IP address. e.g. ping www.pprune.org or ping 213.161.73.143. You can see all the command switches by simply typing ping. Generally you don't need any, although -t and -a can be helpful.

What are you looking for?

Well, if you ping a hostname and it resolves to an IP address, then it is likely that DNS is working correctly (assuming you haven't got the address in a local hosts file).

Second, if you get a response it shows that you have a physical connection to the host you are pinging, so your network is set up and working OK. If you don't get a response, it may simply be that the host is not responding, rather than indicating a problem. For this reason, it is useful to have one or two addresses (e.g. www.pprune.org, www.bbc.co.uk) that you know DO respond.

Third, you can see the response times - on a local network (your PC to your router) the response should be < 10ms. On the internet anything under 200ms is not unreasonable, over 500 is getting bad.

The default in Windows is 4 ICMP Echo requests (pings). You may see that not all get through, indicating that the connection is poor.

SD

FJJP
4th May 2006, 06:05
Saab, TVM. Useful for me, especially as I have developed a home network problem - at least it will remove or confirm connectivity from the fault resolution.

FJJP

Saab Dastard
4th May 2006, 19:15
I had a bit of software on a previous computer which would show the routing of a link to a site - is this connected and if so, can you remember what software I'm talking about?

If you are speaking of tracert, then it is related to ping - they are both part of the ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol suite - that is built-into every implementation of TCP/IP that I am aware of.

It shows the interfaces that are traversed by a ping packet from your PC to the remote host.

Try tracert www.pprune.org to see what you get.

Again there are various command-line switches that you can use to tailor it to your need of the moment.

You might be talking about something altogether more advanced, such as Virtual Route or similar. These are commercial products that add lots of additional functionality and GUI interface to the ICMP stuff. For example, VR can show you a map of the world with your PC and the remote host and all intervening hops marked by their position - obtained by querying the WHOIS databases maintained by RIPE and IANA and those responsible for managing the allocation of physical IP addresses.