PDA

View Full Version : Skippers finished recruiting?

locknut
27th Apr 2006, 07:56
Hi ya'll I am hoping that someone can help me out with getting a lookin with Skippers. I meet all minimum requirements with the addition of turbine time but for some reason they won't call me:{ I've spoken to RJ and sent emails to SW but with no hope. Am I doomed to remain in GA for the rest of my life? Any PM's would be great.

rmcdonal
27th Apr 2006, 08:09
Skippers still fits into the GA sector doesn't it? Just the upper class version :}

Over and gout
27th Apr 2006, 08:26
I see on your profile you live in Melbourne. Perhaps they call people who live in Perth and are suitably qualified first.

Just a guess.

locknut
27th Apr 2006, 08:35
Prob right but I do live in Perth now, just lazy...:zzz:

Monopole
27th Apr 2006, 08:58
Skippers still fits into the GA sector doesn't it? Just the upper class version
An interesting question!:confused:

When is it no longer considered ‘GA’ but rather ‘Airlines’?
You have Maroomba Airlines, but are the size of a small GA company (and no longer do RPT)
You have Skippers Aviation, who has a large fleet, do Charter as well as RPT ops and call themselves ‘WA’s Truly Regional Airline’:yuk:
Then you have Skywest Airlines, who like Skippers, do Charter and RPT, have a small fleet compared to most on the field (quantity wise), and is more and more being run like a Charter company as oppose to an airline:{
What of National Jet? One day a crew member may be flying a Red Tail and a Blue Tail the next. Are those guys (and gals) Charter Pilots or Airline Pilots?:sad:

It can’t be a size or weight thing. There are Charter Company’s flying Jumbos and Airlines flying Navajo’s. I doubt its pay related (you could safely assume the charter company flying said Jumbo pays more then the Airline operating the Navajo). Could it be the maintenance schedule? Skippers, Skywest, Maroomba, Network etc. all have class A maintenance, so it can’t be that. Maybe it’s whatever is on the AOC! Is there anything preventing me from buying a C172 and calling myself XYZ Airlines ‘WA’s Truly REAL Regional Airline’?

Or maybe I cannot consider myself an Airline until a supply my pilots with funny little hats.:} :}

Does anyone know the answer?

rmcdonal
27th Apr 2006, 09:08
Probably a safe bet to say if it's RPT then it can call itself an airline.

Icarus2001
28th Apr 2006, 04:06
Prob right but I do live in Perth now, just lazy
Perhaps you have just answered your own question?:)

Magarnagle
28th Apr 2006, 04:45
It's recently been anounced that Skippers have stopped their Geraldton runs, saying that "the WA State Govt. have unfairly favoured Skywest", thereby making it uneconomical to continue operations to Geraldton.
That might have something to do with it.

the wizard of auz
28th Apr 2006, 10:02
Sort of how they unfairly tickled someones bum at BP and have the jet bowser in Leonora now?. to the detriment of the whole GA sector in the west.

Led Zep
28th Apr 2006, 14:13
I don't think I've ever seen a Brazza fuelled overwing and why would you want to. So what's the point of removing the avgas bowser?
Ohhhh that's right, to prevent those pesky Barons taking all their business! :}

ERSA still says H24 AVGAS. :E

the wizard of auz
28th Apr 2006, 19:32
Metros have been getting the odd litre here and there of late. not as much as the pistons would have taken in the same period, were the bowser still avgas. yup, still 24hr avgas available. be prepared to pay dearly for it and you will need to pay cash/chq/cc for it and take the whole drum, as well as pay dearly for AH service.

Icarus2001
29th Apr 2006, 10:06
to the detriment of the whole GA sector in the west.
That is a very BIG call WIZ. How many of those in the "GA sector" ever even drop in to LEO let alone take fuel? I know you are upset over the change but come on "the whole GA sector"? Your conspiracy theory about cutting out KAL piston operators just does not add up. Sorry.

Led Zep
29th Apr 2006, 14:59
Metros have been getting the odd litre here and there of late. not as much as the pistons would have taken in the same period, were the bowser still avgas. yup, still 24hr avgas available. be prepared to pay dearly for it and you will need to pay cash/chq/cc for it and take the whole drum, as well as pay dearly for AH service.

Yeah but it still says H24 AVGAS Card Bowser! :}

the wizard of auz
29th Apr 2006, 23:44
That is a very BIG call WIZ. How many of those in the "GA sector" ever even drop in to LEO let alone take fuel? I know you are upset over the change but come on "the whole GA sector"? Your conspiracy theory about cutting out KAL piston operators just does not add up. Sorry.

Thinking that it is only going to cut out the piston operators from Kal is a little narrow minded isnt it?.
anyone in a piston, going to any place in the north eastern goldfields requires fuel in leonora if they wish to return via the most direct route, or keep reserves intact, or load more than one person and fuel on the aircraft at departure. now it might not be a huge amount of fuel that moved through here last year, but even if you have a quick look at it...... 80,000Ltrs lets just rough it to arount 200 ltrs per aircraft, even though most singles won't hold that much, but its a nice figure coz we have twins visit as well........comes to around 400 aircraft serviced with fuel here last year.
I reckon thats enough to warrant a bowser here.
now alot of aircraft that stop in here for fuel only load half of that figure, so there would in reality, be quite a few more aircraft than that.
I wasn't actually working in aviation last year, but have resumed my business based here. all my customers alone have purchased over 6000ltrs alone since january. not significant amounts I'll admit, but its early in the year still.
then there are the effects it has on the town to consider as well. no one will bother dropping in here unless it is absolutetly neccesary now, so there goes the accomadation money that used to get spent here, all the meals and beers that won't get bought here now add up too....... it goes alot further than just pissing me around.(although it does that quite a bit).
all so one operator can have a reliable fuel stop?. becase they are the only ones using it, anyone else that uses jetA1 has the abilty to go to Laverton or Leinster for fuel (because JetA1 is available there) or even return to their departure point without refueling. not an option with a piston.

Icarus2001
2nd May 2006, 12:37
So don't you think that an RPT operator that services the Goldfields almost exclusively is entitled to expect some support from a town like LEO in the form of fuel being available? As far as money "injected" in to the town, come on, the piston pilots drop in, get fuel then fly home. What percentage actually go to town? The "injection" of funds is really from the mining sector, who are the very people that Skippers fly around either in FIFO or RPT operations?
Is Avtur available at Laverton?

the wizard of auz
2nd May 2006, 13:55
We should get a couple of things quite straight here.
The mining companys inject very little into towns like Leonora. they actually fly all their workers in from the city and contract from the city......... Hence the term fly in fly out.
Because of their decision to not employ from or support local, some of the smaller towns are being strangled. I know people that have been working on some of these mines for up to ten years and still never been into the town that is closest to them, like Laverton or Leonora.
No, I don't think they should have the right to take away a service that is required by lots and replace it with a service that already exists close by, and injects absolutly nothing into the community.......... at all.
You would be surprised how many aircraft overnight here, and how many fly in tourists we used to get here. there are also the geophysical and photographic survey teams that used to use Leonora as a base for their operations, because fuel was available here. the pipeline inspection team ovenight here and the ag department base the baiting, and vermin survey operations for this district out of here, then all the local pastrolists obtain their fuel supplies from here.......... and it goes on.
The little bit of money that came in from the mining companies, in the form of on demand charter work, has now dried up due to the unavailability of fuel here.
Mining companies do squat for Leonora, and therefore shouldn't have any form of preferential treatment.......especially if it means making other people suffer and go without.
Yes, fuel is available for turbines at Laverton, Lienster, Kalgoorlie, Meeka.... and so on. all within range of turbine aircraft. no avgas though.

and as for servicing the golfields exclusively.................ask some of the locals what they think of the service......... it gets commented on quite a bit and I'm yet to hear any positive comments........ Isn't it a protected route?. that would be where the exclusive bit comes into it I guess.
So let me get this straight......you think that one company should get preferance, to the detriment of all the others I have mentioned, (and thats not all of them, by a long shot), even though they have fuel available to them less than 15 minutes flying time away?...

Icarus2001
12th May 2006, 05:14
the geophysical and photographic survey teams that used to use Leonora as a base for their operations, because fuel was available here. the pipeline inspection team ovenight here and the ag department base the baiting, and vermin survey operations for this district out of here

Geophysical survey, baiting and pipeline inspections do not operate in and out of these places between 3 and 5 times a week do they? The RPT service does! When the residents of LEO/LTN/LST want to go to the big smoke they expect to get on the aircraft fuelled and ready to go. By providing the service the operator is fair to expect fuel to be available.

Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world I would see them as not mutually exclusive. Have AVGAS and AVTUR available, but if a choice must be made then I think AVTUR wins, all evidence supports my opinion on this one.

As to complaints from passengers about the service provided pleeeeese, we are a nation of whingers. What is wrong, let me guess, aircraft too small, meals not appropriate, flights at the wrong time and too expensive. All the complaints that Qantas et al receive every day.

Brasilian Bird
13th May 2006, 06:32
have stopped their Geraldton runs, saying that "the WA State Govt. have unfairly favoured Skywest"

And where in the press release does it say that exactly??? :rolleyes:

ask some of the locals what they think of the service......... it gets commented on quite a bit and I'm yet to hear any positive comments

Would these be the same locals who spent ,most of their flights raving to the hosties how much they love the service? fromwhat i hear, the staff hear more good than bad. and if there really are so many complaints from locals, they need to get off their arses and write a letter or email to the airline; you can't fix something unless you know what the problem is.

Like Icarus said, complaints happen to everfy business...

Icarus2001
14th May 2006, 07:30
It would certainly be interesting to hear from cabin crew at Skywest and Skippers to see what the passengers have to say, especially with the exchange of routes.

Pimp Daddy
14th May 2006, 08:21
Or maybe I cannot consider myself an Airline until a supply my pilots with funny little hats.:} :}

Halfway there - you need to supply the hats, then call pilots in for tea and biccies for not wearing said hat.

Brasilian Bird
14th May 2006, 15:04
I was once talking with someone who used to work for one of those companies; they said the number of people (passengers that is) who bitched about the poor treatment they received from the other was constant; these pax had got so frustrated with the other company that they switched and flew with the other from then on, even when it wasn't totally convenient or cheaper, as a matter of principle. (Apparently this was mainly on the Geraldton run... here's a hint: they weren't bitching about the one that doesn't fly there any more!! :E)

It would be interesting to get a view from CC from both camps; alas with flying different types and 'styles', I daresay it would be difficult to get a 'fair' comparison... all airlines have their faults, and all of us fcukup from time to time... perhaps things are different on the more 'rural' routes... but as I said earlier, things can't be fixed if the person responsible for fixing 'em doesn't know they're broke!!! :}

Back to the topic the original poster raised, I do believe you may have just missed the boat wrt them (Skippers) hiring... IIRC they've got some more a/c recently (as did Network and Maroomba) so I'd guess that they're done hiring for the time being...

I figure anything that has a hostie (one that isn't the F/O, that is) on its aircraft can call itself an airline!!! ;)

Icarus2001
18th May 2006, 01:53
LOCKNUT. New information to hand, apparently they have interviews this week.

locknut
18th May 2006, 06:00
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated:ok:

Brasilian Bird, I think you might be right. Need a bit over the minimum requirements...:=

Chopper OZ
21st May 2006, 07:48
Skipper's are advertising at least once a month in The Australian Aviation section. I thought everyone was trying to get OUT of Skippers?

locknut
21st May 2006, 09:27
Maybe so but this little black duck hasn't got any multi crew time and has found that skippers are one of the only company's that will take on inexperienced pilots...

Keify's done himself a mischief...